Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-21-2019, 02:00 PM   #1

Mattress choices

We need some help.

We are working on a home build in an E-350. I have built a bed/couch/storage/kitchen area in the rearmost of the body. The bed platform is big enough for a queen mattress, and it tri-folds into a couch. We bought a 3" Tempurpedic topper and it was great. It bent with the platform when we went to couch mode and was plenty comfortable to sleep on. Then it got cold.

We don't mind sleeping cold, but the mattress essentially froze solid. Not only did it get hard, but it seemed to loose any insulative properties it might have had. It made for a long night but luckily we were only out for one night at that time.

In our old set-up (a Chevy Avalanche) I had made a mattress (only 48" wide) from some Joann Fabrics 3" foam and a 1" topper. I could do that again, but it will be fairly expensive since the Joann Fabrics foam solution will require 3 pieces of foam plus the topper - probably about a $400 worth in total.

Anyone come up with alternatives that provide flexibility, comfort, AND low cost? I know that's a lot to ask for, but the world is full of creative solutions.

Thanks!

TheWeezersDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 02:05 PM   #2

What about the platform itself. Solid plywood or did you give it the swiss cheese treatment? The condensation can create havoc on any mattress.
This stuff appears to be popular with boat people.
https://www.defender.com/product.jsp...186&id=1818021
I came upon this product from a van dwellers site.
regis101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 02:44 PM   #3

Maybe this?

Remove cover/Cut foam to sizes you need/Recover with nicer material?

https://www.mattressfirm.com/sleepys...&sz=30&start=1
YetiTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 02:58 PM   #4

I have a folding pads from Costco. They fold like tri fold and are really comfortable. They also fit perfectly side by side on my bed. I don't have anything negative to say about them and I think I paid $40 to $50 for each one.
Here is a short video of the setup.
https://youtu.be/Mlw2uhqCV2s
Old 01-21-2019, 06:26 PM   #5

This air mattress is pretty good. We have an electric pump that inflates and deflates pretty quickly, so we fold it in half and put it behind the RB50 couch during the day. Could be used on a platform also. Almost $400.00, so not sure it fits the cheap criteria, but if you aren't sleeping well, cheap doesn't seem as important as you initially thought.

https://www.amazon.com/Exped-MegaMat...pad&th=1&psc=1
Steve_382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 02:23 PM   #6

I have a full width bed when the rear couch is folded out in mine. I had bought some foam and have been using it since I did my conversion. All three pieces were shoved into a duvet cover to make my own tri fold mattress. The problem is it is difficult to get them all in their exact places and lying flat since the foam doesn't slide so well against each other as they're basically in a big bag. When I get it right the bed is comfortable, if I don't it sucks.

The foam would be easier to work with if each piece was individually wrapped. Every time I've used it I'm irritated before I setup the bed as I know how much hassle it will be getting it into position. Each trip I think "I'm gonna sew my own covers for these". But, I'd have to buy a sewing machine, and it's one more project, and not one I'm excited to do...

Not a fan of inflatable mattresses in winter as I find they draw all the heat away from my body throughout the night regardless of how many blankets I put between me and the mattress.

But this thread got me thinking about what may be out there already available. I started by seaching for the Costco ones michal740 mentions. After a little searching I found these tri fold mattresses on Amazon. I'm leaning towards the 4" Milliard one. It folds up exactly how I envisioned my homemade one should. Tonight I will go out and measure the van to make sure one of them will fill the space nicely. Either one of them is cheaper than the raw foam was. If they are close in dimensions I'll have one as quickly as Amazon can ship it.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00W67PCTE...d_i=B00W67PCTE

https://www.amazon.com/Best-Choice-P...queen+mattress

2012 Chevrolet Express 3500 6.0
shadetreevanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 10:49 AM   #7

We just went through the mattress selection process for our pop up last summer. After trying a few foam solutions, both memory and hybrids, we ultimately chose a latex 3" mattress. Selling points for us were that Latex doesn't take on moisture and sleeps "neutral" temperature-wise. It's pricier than the other options listed, and a good bit heavier than foam (which might not be a good fit for a tri-fold couch/bed like yours), but I'm happy that it doesn't sleep hot in summer temperatures like memory foam and doesn't get hard in cold temperatures. We bought ours from sleeponlatex.com. There are equivalent less expensive options (e.g. foambymail.com), but their customer service was excellent and their satisfaction guarantee includes return shipping. If you need the mattress cut into sections, they can do this for you as well.
Old 02-03-2019, 11:56 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_382 View Post
This air mattress is pretty good. We have an electric pump that inflates and deflates pretty quickly, so we fold it in half and put it behind the RB50 couch during the day. Could be used on a platform also. Almost $400.00, so not sure it fits the cheap criteria, but if you aren't sleeping well, cheap doesn't seem as important as you initially thought.

https://www.amazon.com/Exped-MegaMat...pad&th=1&psc=1
This.

Buy from REI, can return within a year (for any reason) if it doesn't workout. Wait for REI's member sale and get 20% off (I think they have that sale 2x a year).

https://www.rei.com/product/113720/e...0-sleeping-pad

The pad self inflates to a nice cushy sleeping surface. Add air if you need it to be firmer. The hand pump included works for me just fine. 0-30 pumps are all I need depending on platform. I got the regular size for my penthouse. The double may take more effort to pump.

I roll mine up and secure with 36" bungees. Very convenient in our van.
Youngster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 10:59 AM   #9

Ikea...

I’ve used IKEA mattresses cut with an electric turkey carving knife on multiple occasions. Bed platform is important, as others mentioned, because of moisture. Slat bed platforms work well for ventilation. IKEA mattresses are good for buying on a budget, and less stressful to cut into pieces if need be. I’ve got closed cell foam camp mats under our mattress to make it more comfortable (so side-sleeping doesn’t hurt your hips) and so you can’t feel the platform beneath.
Camperoverland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 11:36 AM   #10

I also use and love sleeponlatex 3"