Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-30-2016, 12:37 PM   #1

MDF how thick???

Hey Guys,

I'm getting ready to re-work my van interior and was thinking of black MDF. I know, I know, it's heavy as hell, hates water, screws pull out of it etc... That said it looks so professional with so little work. Cut it carefully, apply edging, and you are done.

So, what thickness would you use for some shelving and essentially a platform bed set-up?

Thanks for the help.

Jim

2006 Ujoint E350 EB 6" lift PSD

capnjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 01:36 PM   #2

MDF....

mgmetalworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 03:43 PM   #3

Ditto what mgmetalworks said.

Get some really good smooth grade multi plywood and laminate something to that. MDF is just asking for trouble, imho.
Old 04-30-2016, 03:50 PM   #4

Garage
Honestly if that squirrel gets that upset over using MDF in a van then there's no way in hell im using it.

Google Sled Hockey - You won't be disappointed.
Jsweezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 06:06 PM   #5

We bought a vinyl remnant for about $20 and glued it to our plywood platform bed. Can put wet stuff on it, no problem. We hinged the platform so that we could access underneath easily from inside. We hook a chain with s-hooks to the rear pop-up clamp to hold it open when needed. Picture attached. We always sleep in the penthouse, but have the platform bed for our old age.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
yonan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 06:52 AM   #6

Ok, MDF is universally hated. Maybe I should rethink this. If I wanted black cabinets what would you recommend? Birch ply laminated with Melamine? It's an extra step but I want to do this right. It is very important to me that this looks very professional. 1/2 or so thickness?
capnjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 08:20 AM   #7

A good quality birch ply and 1/2" is good in my book.

I used 3/8" in many places and doubled it up with another 3/8" glued layer or a solid wood strip where I needed more beef for screws or hinges. I looked to save weight and allow for more usable space. It is amazing how the 1/8" and 1/4" inches here and there add up as the cabinet pcs come together. This is a very confined space, 1/8" matters.

The cabinet doors will be out of at least 1/2" or some construct that gives the hinge and latch attach points enough mounting strength. Door edging may dictate the thickness of the door.

Use really good wood screws, nuts, bolts, etc., and keep in mind what needs to be taken apart to fix something (water pumps, inverters, plumbing, etc.) in the future. I used aluminum angle in a number of places to support shelves and provide joint strength.

Cool!!
Old 05-02-2016, 01:48 PM   #8

Consider cabinet/shop grade birch ply or higher.....with a black laminate face.

Laminating plywood is super easy with a laminate edge trim bit and router or a dedicated laminate trimmer.

http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...ial-14419.html

My interior is about 99% Baltic birch of varying thicknesses and I have no regrets on material choice.
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 09:18 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by boywonder View Post
My interior is about 99% Baltic birch of varying thicknesses and I have no regrets on material choice.
I have deep regrets every time I see boywonder's interior - regrets I do not have his incredible finishing skills and eye for textures and color!!

His interior is really first class. I followed his advice re: the Baltic Birch Ply and loved working with it! At some point, I will do the finishing touches but, in the meantime, the BB ply is structurally super.

Thanks Scott!
Old 05-26-2016, 09:07 PM   #10

thumbs up on the birch ply or a nice marine grade ply. Our interior has seen 5 good seasons' use and is as nice as day 1 install.

On bed platform in particular ours is built on 3/4" square tube welded frame then a 3/8" marine ply, then a froli sleep system topped with two 25" x 78" Big Agnes Q'core insulated pads. comfy for us. very light build weight (froli _link to their site_ and pads weigh ~12lbs total~) the froli eliminates moisture under mattress/bedding and acts also as a independent coil spring foundation for pads.

: ) Thom
accrete is offline   Reply With Quote