Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-19-2014, 09:47 PM   #11

Re: Meet Frosty

Been doing a little bit of work here and there. We got the lift and tires on. We went with the 2" Maxx lift spacers for ease and cost. It is enough to clear the 265/75-16s easily and hopefully the bumper with act less like a plow come winter. The install is pretty easy, except the van has larger bolts than any of my other vehicles and the kit was SAE while the van is metric. A few days and a few trips to harbor freight between shifts and she's looking pretty good.
The suspension bolt is a 30mm btw... my impact drivers didn't go up that high so I now have two new sockets.

With the lift:

With new tires:

We also made it out to the junk yard and scored some doors with windows. We were just going to instal the windows but for $45 this is much easier and the doors are in pretty good shape. We even scored a pop out window for the larger one. When we bought the van it was used to haul paper for shredding so it has a weird proprietary lock that is a PITA, so as an added bonus that will go away too.
They are in surprisingly good shape for a 1994.

I also got the rear doors ready for the new panels. Fatmat, fiberglass and refletix.

On the other door I want to make a small storage pocket. How are people doing this? I was thinking about cutting out a larger hole and making a "box" with foam board (making the opening in the panel smaller to create a storage cubby) but I'm not sure of the best way to make the box within the door.

We also trimmed out the floor since that is finally complete.

She is coming along. Its starting to get cold so I want the big stuff done soon. I'm working on finishing the walls, building the closet and electrical storage and starting to plan for the sink/ cabinets. One it's snowing I'll start dealing with the wiring since I can do most of it with the door shut.

Jeff

waterman86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 05:33 AM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterman86
...On the other door I want to make a small storage pocket. How are people doing this? I was thinking about cutting out a larger hole and making a "box" with foam board (making the opening in the panel smaller to create a storage cubby) but I'm not sure of the best way to make the box within the door...
This thread might be a good starting point.

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=13867&hilit=+door

Herb
Old 10-20-2014, 01:12 PM   #13

Did you do anything to level up the rear suspension?
Waterski02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 08:00 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterski02
Did you do anything to level up the rear suspension?
Yeah. We used 2" blocks in the rear. It was super easy, took an hour per side with beer breaks. We'll see how it sits when the build is complete and shes loaded down and may need to add in an additional leaf. Rebuilding a spin pack would be a new experience but it doesn't seem too hard.

On a side not I am accumulating quiet a collection of extra van parts. I have hub caps, a full interior with floor and E-tracts (I think that's what they are called), security cage, a set of 245/75-16 tire and soon a good set of windowless doors. I'm in Albany, NY if anyone needs anything drop me a line.

Jeff
Old 10-23-2014, 03:39 PM   #15

Those are the 2" blocks. Just pull the old u-bolts off, slide in the blocks and re-attach. So easy a caveman could do it.

I decided to use 1.25" angle iron for the closet (instead of framing it up with 1x2). Well see how it goes and then I'll start planning the sink and stove.

Jeff
Old 10-26-2014, 03:30 PM   #16
klp

Looks great! I am planning a similar build but starting with a window van and maybe some motorcycle transport instead of the mtb's.

I am curious about the lift spacers, can you provide a link? I looked around but could not find them. Did you have any issues with alignment after the install?
klp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 09:23 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by klp
Looks great! I am planning a similar build but starting with a window van and maybe some motorcycle transport instead of the mtb's.

I am curious about the lift spacers, can you provide a link? I looked around but could not find them. Did you have any issues with alignment after the install?
http://maxx-lift.com/products/E250-E350 ... -INCH.html

I used these and am running 265\75-16 without a problem. The lift was pretty easy to install and it took 2 3/4 degree alignment bushing without a problem. We swapped in new front shocks (nothing special, just Monroe magnums) and there is no more wandering all over the lane. We have been working and playing so not much progress but we have had her out for a few trips and am really loving the diesel. Its snowing here now so we will be testing the new tires soon and putting a locker in.

Jeff
Old 12-18-2014, 09:47 AM   #18

Great job! I like how you figured out your priorities in the build and stuck with them. And being short enough to sleep sideways like that really allows for great space utilization.

Subscribed! Looking forward to following along your continued journey.
InigoMontoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 10:44 AM   #19

It was a brutal winter in upstate New York... Great for skiing, not so great for van building. Had a couple 50 degree days recently and got my house battery, inverter, converter and shore power installed. Working on the sink and fridge now (I'll post up some pics this evening.

I did run into a bit of an embarrassing situation when I couldn't get here out of the icy driveway with 1wd so its time for a locker. I'm 90% sure this is a D60 but I'm looking get confirmation. The tag reads V9C24-CC 201 1820-

We head to AZ in 3 months so it will be a scramble to get her finished in time.

Jeff
Old 04-04-2015, 10:56 AM   #20
Site Team

Dana part decoder below, but I haven't found the right combination to figure out what you have.

http://www2.dana.com/expertforms/demenu.aspx

Herb