Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-16-2016, 01:47 PM   #171

Oh my; you are creating quite the enviable rig! That stance is awesome!

Taylor3633 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 08:59 PM   #172

Got the van up on the rack today for some fine tunin' (special thanks to Jeremy and his shop Matrix Integrated for letting me take up every inch of space on their alignment rack).

Guess what? The suspension geometry was exactly where I expected it to be! Only had to change the toe a tad and straighten the steering wheel. The axle came from Quadvan's original alignment with 2 deg (in the wrong direction) caster bushings. Measured out today at 3.5 deg caster. So with a factory installed 0 degree bushing, I'd have 5.5 deg (exactly what I designed for). I want to drive for a while with 3.5 deg caster and see how it works. Then at some point I'll put in a zero deg bushing and compare. It already drives much better than when it was a Quadvan (with 1.5 deg of caster).

Getting very close to having this radius arm axle installation kit dialed in and ready for sale.
mgmetalworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 02:56 AM   #173

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmetalworks View Post
My in-house designed and fab'd front suspension parts are in. First drive went very well. Rides beautifully and handles great. I need an appointment with an alignment rack to get everything dialed but so far it is working awesome. Rear springs just went in this afternoon and I set it on the ground before being summoned for family duty. I'll get some good pics once it is outside.

Awesome looking ride. Bet that Cummins 6.7, Puuuuurrrrrssss, just beautifully?

This is will be the ULTIMATE offroad van, with amazing Toque, probably will be reasonably
economical too. Great transmission. Having a Ram 3500 Cummins 6.7, I look at your picture
and hear that cool engine sound in my mind.

Have thoroughly enjoyed the journey, you have shared.

Envious!

ps. Still love my Yellow 6.o e350 4x4 ed50 SMB.
2008 Yellow Ford E350 6.0 diesel eb50 4x4, Front E Locker, Asheville Eng Rebuil 20th @ 261miles, ARP Studds, 200amp Alternator, Performance Aluminium Radiator, OnBoardAir, RoadmasterActiveSuspension, Front & Rear Aluminess with Spare Tire Carrier, Aluminess Roof Rack, Titan Aft 30gallon Fuel Tank.
Sheriffdoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 07:44 AM   #174

An updates on a side door grab handle?
Teutonics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 10:06 PM   #175

As if there weren't enough things going on, I recently took up a new hobby. I want to be able to "control my own destiny" so to speak...not be at the mercy of vendors for prototyping or special projects. I decided I needed to learn how to sew. I stopped by to talk to the guy who did the SEMA van seats to get some pointers and he said "Practice...go make stuff". We needed some pillows around the house so that's what I'm practicing on.

The mechanics of sewing aren't that difficult to get down. It helps that the machine we bought is pretty bad-a** though. Getting the machine dialed in perfect and keeping your stitches dead nuts straight...you know, the little details...those take some practice. I think by the time I finish my interior and a bunch of projects around the house the wife is asking for, I'll have some pretty decent skillz. This is something I've wanted to learn for a while and now that I'm doing more interior work for camper vans, what better time to make it happen. Pretty funny change of pace going from welding in the shop to the sewing machine.
mgmetalworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 10:21 PM   #176

I recently heard Adam Savage of the show Mythbusters, who makes an amazing amount of stuff on his YouTube channel say that sewing and welding are very similar. Both are taking flat material and sticking it together to make 3D objects. Nice work. I wish I knew more about sewing but then there would be one more building obsession to take up my time. Thanks for sharing your new craft.

Eric
ShuttlePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 10:26 PM   #177

Sewing is fun hobby. Have made my own shirts as well as repairing pants and jackets and other items. I find that having multiple hobbies allows me to get away from one complex problem by focusing on something completely different. When I come back to problem area I usually see the solution. The pillows look good as does the van.
larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 11:04 PM   #178

Garage
Bad-a** indeed! I've been sewing all my life and still don't have a setup like that. Nice! Boats are my other hobby and I've made all my own sail covers, boat covers, etc., partly because it's so much cheaper to do it yourself, but more because it's fun to design as you go. Have fun!
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpeg   image.jpg  
Old 07-11-2016, 08:14 AM   #179

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmetalworks View Post
As if there weren't enough things going on, I recently took up a new hobby. I want to be able to "control my own destiny" so to speak...not be at the mercy of vendors for prototyping or special projects. I decided I needed to learn how to sew. I stopped by to talk to the guy who did the SEMA van seats to get some pointers and he said "Practice...go make stuff". We needed some pillows around the house so that's what I'm practicing on.

The mechanics of sewing aren't that difficult to get down. It helps that the machine we bought is pretty bad-a** though. Getting the machine dialed in perfect and keeping your stitches dead nuts straight...you know, the little details...those take some practice. I think by the time I finish my interior and a bunch of projects around the house the wife is asking for, I'll have some pretty decent skillz. This is something I've wanted to learn for a while and now that I'm doing more interior work for camper vans, what better time to make it happen. Pretty funny change of pace going from welding in the shop to the sewing machine.

I have a machine that is very similar. Does your setup run a motor with a clutch or a servo control setup allowing you to dial in the speed? Mine runs a standard clutch which is ok for about 90% of the work needed, but for those super intricate pieces the servo setup is killer.

Scott
REDOVAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 09:13 AM   #180

Garage
My wife ran a drapery work room before we got married. She keep her two commercial sewing machines. I don't know the differences, but she can make me about anything. I know at least one is a Juki. I have used it a few times.

TexGX
2006 Casita (Makes it a three bedroom 1 and 1/2 bath)
TexGX is offline   Reply With Quote