Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-21-2013, 09:19 AM   #21

Re: MG Metalworks Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWA
Good gravy Man----without any hyperbole OR exaggeration you're a frickin' genius! Leonardo da Vinci didn't do work this great!

On a slightly different topic the Toyota Sienna seat conversion---I'm curious if that's something my cargo only work van would benefit from doing?
haha! da Vinci is a bit of a stretch but I'll take it!!! Thanks for the kind words!

The Sienna seats up front are, in my opinion, a pretty big improvement from the stock seats. Not a cheap mod to make by any means but since we do a lot of long drives in our van, it was worth it to us. However, you do have to take into consideration that these seats aren't really designed to be front seats so the recliners are pretty much useless unless you have a swivel. I'm not trying to talk you out of using a Sienna seat in the front but for a cargo/work van, there may be cheaper alternatives that will yield the same result. Having the stock seats recovered and the foam reshaped a little might be one way to do it.

In our case, we had 4 of the seats in the back of the van so it made sense to put matching seats up front.

mgmetalworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 02:42 PM   #22
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmetalworks
haha! da Vinci is a bit of a stretch but I'll take it!!! Thanks for the kind words!
Well, maybe just a bit of hyperbole!

I thought the Sienna seats might be better suited to a camper/people mover vehicle over a work/cargo van. Even though its a pricey conversion that's small consideration if its a huge benefit.

To my mind such a swap would be reversible if ever needed, the parts sold or installed in another van which makes the real end cost much much less.

Thanks MG Metal---appreciate the advice!
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 06:18 PM   #23

Great looking rig!

I was wondering how the rig handles with what looks like about a 6" lift?
accrete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 07:29 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by accrete
Great looking rig!

I was wondering how the rig handles with what looks like about a 6" lift?
Thanks! The van handles great! It has what Quadvan considers a 4" lift. I do have to say that I didn't like how it handled before I had Quadvan install the dual steering stabilizers. It had a tendency to wander a little without the stabilizer, especially on imperfect roads. Now its good though. If it were rough riding or uncomfortable, my wife and in-laws would have let me know by now.
Old 09-23-2013, 07:58 AM   #25

Really interested in those Sienna seats. If you don't mind posting, what did they cost? And, do you have a link or contact info for the source you got them from? Thanks!
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 09:07 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianW
Really interested in those Sienna seats. If you don't mind posting, what did they cost? And, do you have a link or contact info for the source you got them from? Thanks!
Warehouse Salvage (warehousesalvage.net) is the company I've purchased from. I paid $665 for the last pair (including shipping) though I just saw a post on a different forum where a guy paid $630 for a pair with shipping. They have a "make offer" option on Ebay. I'd make an offer of $475-525 (with $100 shipping) if I were buying more and see if they went for it.

The thread I started on the expo forum has everything I know about the seats all laid out in one place...with pictures and dimensions.

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/t ... enna-seats

Ujoint Offroad is now selling a basic mounting base for these seats (for installation in the back of the van). I'm still in the development phase of the driver and passenger mounts.
Old 09-23-2013, 12:05 PM   #27

I would love to see a flush (with the floor) jump seat (from a F-series) base mount a-beam of the fridge and inline with the dog house. Would be nice to have 3rd seat that you could quickly install/remove. I dislike the raised captain chair base mounts I've seen in some rigs because it takes space, your big toe is attracted to it and it doesn't look clean.
Ocsmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 02:01 PM   #28

Thanks MG! Great info over on ExpedPortal.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 12:19 AM   #29

No LATCH?
Old 09-25-2013, 02:13 AM   #30

I wish you were building things for the Chevy Vans, I could use those mirror adapters!!