Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-28-2014, 09:11 PM   #71

Re: MG Metalworks Build

[emoji44]

Van Specialties build out
buckkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 04:59 AM   #72
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmetalworks

sorry... couldn't resist.
It ain't braggin' if its fact!

Honestly though and without hyperbole your designs and executions are pretty amazing to see. Comes along a technician who transcends the ordinary and becomes more of an artist from time-to-time---I'm very, very sincere in that MGMW.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 10:09 AM   #73

Quote:
Hello everyone!

Another home brewed build thread here... My wife and I ordered our 2013 E-350 Quadvan conversion last November and took delivery in late January. I've knocked a few of the smaller projects off the list so far but this is definitely a long term project. Here's a current pic of the van on a recent trip to the Oregon coast.

Within a few weeks of getting the van, I took out the bench seats and installed Toyota Sienna recliners on custom mounts.

I also had to fab up an extended slider hinge to clear the tires

My wife liked the seats so much that I made some more custom mounts and put the seats in the front too. Passenger side has a swivel

Added a grab handle to help the vertically challenged get in the back

More on the long term side of things... I recently acquired a virtually new 6.7L Cummins engine for the conversion I plan to do. I'll spend the fall/winter gathering all the parts needed and devising my plan of attack for the wiring and electronics integration then in the spring hopefully I'll get going on the installation.

I'm in the process now of designing bumpers, roof rack and various other parts. Interior build out will come after all of the above but I do plan on a pop top and more of a camper type interior. Right now its a people hauler but our plan is to use the van to show our kids the wilderness all across the country (and continent).

Cheers!
Were you able to utilize the recliner in the driver seat or just the passenger seat? How much clearance do you have to swivel the front passenger seat? I really like the look of this and I bet it's very comfortable!
sidetrak06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 09:21 AM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidetrak06

Were you able to utilize the recliner in the driver seat or just the passenger seat? How much clearance do you have to swivel the front passenger seat? I really like the look of this and I bet it's very comfortable!
I disable the recliner on the driver's side since there is not enough room for it to extend and the driver's seat does not swivel. The passenger side reclines great when rotated to the back but again, there is very little room for it to extend when facing forward.

The clearance for the swivel is pretty good. The seat can rotate a full 180 deg and the door will shut no problem. They are very comfortable seats compared to stock. We've been very happy with them.
mgmetalworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 09:36 PM   #75

Quote:
Quote:

I disable the recliner on the driver's side since there is not enough room for it to extend and the driver's seat does not swivel. The passenger side reclines great when rotated to the back but again, there is very little room for it to extend when facing forward.

The clearance for the swivel is pretty good. The seat can rotate a full 180 deg and the door will shut no problem. They are very comfortable seats compared to stock. We've been very happy with them.
Great info, thank you. Which swivel mount did you use? Also, did you mount the seats on center with the stock location or did you shift them at all?
Old 10-20-2014, 10:05 PM   #76

Looks like you know how to make great things! (Cute kids. Since we don't know what you look like, we will give most of the credit to your wife...)

And your van work of course is outstanding. I am particularly interested in the barn door (for me) handle. Getting into the van in ski boots can be dicy on ice, and I have been thinking of putting a handle there as well.
2002 E350 ext.; 160K; 7.3L; 4R100 (w/4x4 deep pan & filter); 4x4 conv. w/2007 F250/F350 coil frnt axle (oppos. dual Bilstein press. shocks cured DW) diff chg from 3.55 to 3.73 (bad!); BW1356 t.c. (bad!); LT265/70R17/E Michelin LTX M/S2; Engel MT60 Combi Fridge-Freezer; 4 BP 380J pv panels; Auragen 5kw AC gen. in top alt. position; Webasto Dual-Top; Voyager top. 1995 5.8L EB Bronco, bone stock.
E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 12:39 AM   #77

Quote:

Great info, thank you. Which swivel mount did you use? Also, did you mount the seats on center with the stock location or did you shift them at all?
MG made these custom seat mounts specifically for these seats, both driver and passenger sides.
You can purchase them directly from him.
Worth every single dollar.
They mount to stock location - straight bolt on.
Some assembly required but nothing difficult about it.

I love my seats and mounts - would not hesitate to do this again.
chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 09:12 AM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by E350
Looks like you know how to make great things! (Cute kids. Since we don't know what you look like, we will give most of the credit to your wife...)
Yes, give most of the credit to my wife...

Quote:
Originally Posted by E350
And your van work of course is outstanding. I am particularly interested in the barn door (for me) handle. Getting into the van in ski boots can be dicy on ice, and I have been thinking of putting a handle there as well.
Thank you!! The grab handle has been very nice for entry and exit. I wish it were easier to make and install though. I would have to redesign it if I were to make more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaos
MG made these custom seat mounts specifically for these seats, both driver and passenger sides.
You can purchase them directly from him.
Worth every single dollar.
They mount to stock location - straight bolt on.
Some assembly required but nothing difficult about it.

I love my seats and mounts - would not hesitate to do this again.
^^^^^^ what he said.

Driver side mount....

Passenger side swivel mount....
mgmetalworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 09:28 AM   #79

Location: Rancho Nuevo (Cabo/Todos Santos) B.C.S. and San Diego, CA

Unit Bearings?

AgileOffRoad.com
BajaSportsmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 09:35 AM   #80

Those look great! What is the cost for the pair? My only concern is driver side clearance with my aftermarket transfer case shifter in the floor. Do you have a dimension for the distance between the mount holes and the right edge of the driver side seat so I can see if it clears the shifter? Nice work!