Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-02-2020, 01:57 PM   #1

Modular L-Track Build (Adventure/Accessibility Rig) AWD Transit

Hey All,

Our build date for our van was a few days ago with an expected delivery in the next few weeks, I've been humming and hawing over design ideas so I would like to hear your thoughts of my concepts based on our application. We have a 2020 T-250 AWD, HR, LONG 3.5 Ecoboost w/PSD and almost all the other options.

Vehicle Application: Kind of a do everything, off grid adventures, people/stuff hauler, long ass medical appointments. Essentially a tiny home on wheels, but we won't be in it full time (a few days to several weeks).

We looked into RV's, we looked into Accessible Motorhomes, Accessible Vans, and they just didn't do the things we wanted it to do and I was not impressed with the build quality based on the price points offered. We are coming from a 4x4 E350 Quigley, the Transit feels like a Cadillac by comparison.

Background: This will be for 2 adults plus 1 medium sized dog, 60-75% of time, I would like it to seat at least 3/4, and if it could sleep 3/4 that would be ideal as well. My wife has a moderate-rapid declining health condition which has a significant impact on her mobility, balance, and has general aches and pains all the time (Comfort is important). She currently can walk unassisted 30-40% of the time the rest she uses a walker. She will likely need a wheelchair down the road but should be able to get in and out of a traditional van with some assistance for now. This will play a part on our travel style and we decided that we didn't really need a high clearance 4x4 anymore and it wasn't all that practical to get in and out of for her.

Due to her condition, we have a very limited window of "good years" left to travel so my design is to get the van ready/comfortable as quickly as possible so we can hit the road (Spring/Summer of 2021). We have the disposable income to get this completely converted by an up fitter but it seems like it would take longer for something custom and it's hard to swallow the $$$. While I enjoy doing DIY, I just don't have the time to do this myself working full time and being a full time caregiver so I will likely need to farm out a lot of this work or buy pre-designed equipment.

If anyone has similar medical issues or is an older traveler your perspective would be greatly appreciated, while we are in our 30's my wife is essentially trapped in the body of a senior citizen.

I will be bringing over the following items from our old rig:

220 AGM DIY Battery Box

ARB 50 Fridge

180W Solar Suitcase

Portable Diesel Furnace

Step Stool

Recover Gear (Air Compressor, Straps, Soft Shackles, Traction Boards, Shovel, etc)

Luggable Loo (Will probably upgrade to something like a Porta Potti)

Camping/Cooking Gear

Some other items that I am not going to go too much detail in are I plan to have at least 2 windows, one on the slider and one directly behind the drivers seat, swivel seats and a MaxxFan.

This is my current inspiration and what I envision what our interior would like like in terms of layout and functionality. Our bed platform will be lower than pictured, likely on the lower L- Track just below the window (waist height).

So in order to get this ready as quick as possible I am looking to combine a variation of pre-made products.

Interior Trim:

Adventure Wagon Ford Transit Conversion Kit (DOES NOT INCLUDE A FLOOR)

https://adventurewagon.com/collectio...-1-000-deposit

Bed System:

Adventure Wagon Ford transit MOAB Bed + L-Track System

OR

Travois Rock n Roll Bed (I would only get this if I can get get the floor)

https://www.travoisusa.com/products/travois-rnr

Ideally I would like to get both everything listed above but depending on cost and availability I might just opt for one or the other for now.

Floor System:

Travois Transit Pro Floor

https://www.travoisusa.com/products/transit

OR

Amf-bruns-mobility

https://www.amf-bruns-mobility.com/products/smartfloor/

Those are the big items I am looking at, yes I know all these products are pricey and it would be much cheaper to do it myself. I believe this would be the middle ground for DIY to Professional Upfitter and seems to be the most promising option for the timeline I want. I am hoping that the sale of my Quigley (will be listing in the next week or two) will pay for most if not all the above big ticket items.

I've contacted all the appropriate suppliers of the above products to get quotes and info on expected delivery, availability will be deciding factor on what components to get.

The Adventure Wagon Kit would be a nice winter project to do assuming I could get it in time for our Spring/Summer departure, if I can't then I will skip it for later down the road. If I can get the MOAB Bed fairly quickly I will likely go this route first so we have a bed platform and some L-track for some internal storage options. Ideally I would like to get both products.

Travois Rock n Roll Bed - This thing is expensive, but it would serve double duty as a seat and a bed. I think I would only get this if I could get the Travois Pro Floor. Unfortunately the 148" Pro Floor is not in stock and they have no idea when they are going to get it (Canada). Based on my responses so far I do not have a lot of confidence Travois will have these products in time.

These is a lot of discussion on this floor/seat which can be found here:

https://www.fordtransitusaforum.com/.../#post-1026538

Thanks to GapRunr & mgmetalworks for taking the photos.

The other floor option I am looking at is the Amf-bruns-mobility, this system is designed specifically for accessibility needs and from what I can tell has extensive testing. They also test for every seat configuration and seat placement so its quite thorough. Travois Pro Floor also lists testing and that its compliant to Canada's standard but they don't go into a lot of detail about it.

This is what the AMF-Bruns Floor looks like:

I found this recent video about their system and it was very informative, Andreas was the person I contacted about this product and he was very quick to respond to my inquiries and directed me to a local authorized distributer/up fitter.

There are more details about this product found in a different forum

https://sprinter-source.com/forums/i...threads/89326/

From my initial conversation it looks like this AMF System will be around $6k to $10k depending on the number of seats which looks to comparable to Travois. They do indicate that AMF has a 2 person bench seat that folds into a bed but its currently still being pull tested and I have no idea on the price, I suspect it will be around the same price as the Rock n Roll Bed. Unfortunately the Rock N Roll Bed on L Track is not compatible with the AMF Smartfloor System (different track widths).

Based on the speed of communication and the requisite testing done or publicized I am initially leading towards to AMF System vs Travois.

Would love to hear your thoughts! If anyone knows of other builds that have modularity and accessibility in mind I would love to take a look at those.

Cheers!

Old 12-02-2020, 05:13 PM   #2

Did you see my comments in this thread?
https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/fo...tml#post285668

I'm happy to have a conversation about the Travois floors and seats if you want to set up a time offline.
mgmetalworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 06:19 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmetalworks View Post
Did you see my comments in this thread?
https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/fo...tml#post285668

I'm happy to have a conversation about the Travois floors and seats if you want to set up a time offline.
Thanks for reaching out, I didn't see that post (I've admittedly been spending more time on the Transit Forums). I'll send you a PM.

Cheers,
Joe
Old 12-14-2020, 02:50 PM   #4

Spoke to mgmetalworks today and he gave great insight to the products I've been looking at, thank you so much!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctb View Post
That's big news Cyrull! What are your your plans post SMB? Trailer? Truck Camper? Diesel Pusher? Seems like an excellent time to sell too. Best of luck!
Here is a sneak peak CTB! got my window sticker today
Attached Thumbnails
1.JPG  
Old 02-04-2021, 08:20 PM   #5

Its finally here! The unit we ordered has a power sliding door, this thing is sweet and I hope it lasts. Parked next to our Quigley 4x4 (For sale btw ) for comparison.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG-5498.jpg   IMG-5499.jpg   IMG-5501.jpg   IMG-5502.jpg  
Old 02-04-2021, 08:28 PM   #6

I've decided to go AMF Smartfloor, put down my deposit yesterday. ETA to delivery/install is around mid to late March. I have ordered some other L Track pieces to install on the walls to create a bed platform for other general storage which should be arriving tomorrow!

For our toilet system I've ordered a Wrappon Green Portable Toilet System, it will serve double duty as a bedside commode for my spouse when its not the van. This should also be arriving sometime in March

I'm hoping to start the sound deadening and insulation process this weekend.

https://www.setechnologiesltdusa.com/wrappon
Attached Thumbnails
1.JPG  
Attached Images

Old 02-04-2021, 09:36 PM   #7

Oooh heated seats!
simplesez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 07:33 PM   #8

Finished the day early today so I put in an hour or two installing some Noico sound deadening in the van. Most of the coverage will be with 80 mil, the wheel wells will get a second layer of 150 mil that I have left over from another project. While the cargo lights are great for finding things I'm already finding they are too harsh, I recall others have repurposed them. It's clear that warmer temperature lighting is something we will want for day to day use, something I will need to explore down the road.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG-5509.jpg   IMG-5510.jpg  
Old 02-05-2021, 08:37 PM   #9

Nice looking van.

-greg
Scalf77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 07:39 PM   #10

It's been a while since my last update. Have finished most of the sound deadening except for the doors. Insulation is mostly done, still waiting for warmer weather before is 3M glue the thinsulate to the roof.

We also got our modular L-Track floor installed with our two removable seats. I'll be picking it up from the installer tomorrow and am super excited with this versatility.

My 4 windows have arrived and so has my MaxxFan but before we get to that the next phase is the bed platform. I have some cross nuts and L track I'll be securing above the wheel well with an removeable Ikea frame.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG-5711.jpg   IMG-5712.jpg   20210324_143901_resized.jpg   20210324_143850_resized.jpg   20210324_143802_resized.jpg