Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-30-2016, 01:55 PM   #1

More flexible RB50 setup (back end storage and utility)

I have my van setup loosely in a RB50 configuration. Here are some pics:

The Truck Vault drawer is something someone gave to me for free (seen inside the back doors). It happened to fit so I used it. As time has worn on, I would say its utility is 50/50. I use my van to haul home improvement materials and while I could lay the couch down and stack items on top, having material on the floor would be better. I've had several occasions now where I could not take my son with me since he is in a car seat (sofa bed would need to be in the "sofa" configuration). So I'm considering removing the Truck Vault and building a frame to support the cushions to the bed with open storage in the short term.

For the long term, I would consider a custom drawer design where there is 3 drawers with the center drawer being longer and easily removed, so if needed to run to the lumber yard, I could slide a few 2x4s through and under the couch.

But I'm open to other ideas so I am hoping others with similar homebuilds could post what they did with the interior back ends to their vans. I'm looking through build threads but if you have a setup that you are particularly happy with, I would love to see a pic.

Thanks!

zuren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 03:09 PM   #2

Cool thx, I've been wanting to see someone with a drawer system back there. The 3 drawer setup is smart.
2010 E350 RB V10 Cargo "unicorn" (SOLD)
2007 E350 4x4 "VANdiana Jones"(SOLD)
mk216v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 08:07 PM   #3

John built a Savana with some ideas you might be able to use. His build thread is here.
Johny5's stealth camper van - Expedition Portal
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 06:39 AM   #4
Site Team

That driver's side barn door confuses me everytime I look at the picture.
Old 11-29-2016, 07:56 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoHauler View Post
That driver's side barn door confuses me everytime I look at the picture.

That's got to be right up there as a rarest of rare piece. Never seen one.

"Talk is cheap. Whiskey costs money."
Old 11-04-2020, 02:41 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuren View Post
I have my van setup loosely in a RB50 configuration. Here are some pics:

The Truck Vault drawer is something someone gave to me for free (seen inside the back doors). It happened to fit so I used it. As time has worn on, I would say its utility is 50/50. I use my van to haul home improvement materials and while I could lay the couch down and stack items on top, having material on the floor would be better. I've had several occasions now where I could not take my son with me since he is in a car seat (sofa bed would need to be in the "sofa" configuration). So I'm considering removing the Truck Vault and building a frame to support the cushions to the bed with open storage in the short term.

For the long term, I would consider a custom drawer design where there is 3 drawers with the center drawer being longer and easily removed, so if needed to run to the lumber yard, I could slide a few 2x4s through and under the couch.

But I'm open to other ideas so I am hoping others with similar homebuilds could post what they did with the interior back ends to their vans. I'm looking through build threads but if you have a setup that you are particularly happy with, I would love to see a pic.

Thanks!
zuren - perhaps you could comment on where or how you sourced that sofa bed? I just purchased a 2013 Express AWD with low low miles and want to do something very similar
Big5f303 is offline   Reply With Quote