Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-16-2016, 01:23 PM   #1
evy

More storage! give me your advice please.

Hi everyone,

I'm working on my very first DIY camper conversion, using a 2010 extended Ford E250.

Take a look at my plan and pictures, I'm adding some storage in the back of the camper I'm building, on each sides. I already know how I'm going to do it BUT! before cutting any boards I simply want your opinions/advice.

Mainly I'm wondering what is going to end up in there, the size is 22" wide x 8" deep x 14" high but the top is opened and ends up in the bigger storage area above.

For the access should I do like all my other storage area? (a rounded corner door)
I thought it should open towards the bottom so I can have access from the rear of the van or from the inside.
The storage would be partially above my feet when I'm sleeping and when sitting on the 72" long bench, we would be sitting on the other end of the bench so it really wouldn't be in the way, even if we're four at the table (which I doubt will ever happen)

Old 04-16-2016, 06:03 PM   #2
ctb

Garage
Send a message via AIM to ctb
Looks great but...sometimes on our adventures, I find I wear the same underwear a couple days in a row, and the same under shirt too! We have a built in shower so we can splurge! So....I say, who needs more storage! LESS STUFF!! Keep us all posted!
ctb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 11:03 PM   #3
evy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctb View Post
Looks great but...sometimes on our adventures, I find I wear the same underwear a couple days in a row, and the same under shirt too! We have a built in shower so we can splurge! So....I say, who needs more storage! LESS STUFF!! Keep us all posted!
gotta say I wasn't expecting this, the most common advice I get is there's never enough space! Add more!
I just tought hey this is a waste of space.
but I'll keep it in mind, it sure would be less work lol ;-)
evy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 11:23 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctb View Post
I've been known to do the same on weekend trips. Just turn your underwear inside out...it's like brand new. That's even without a shower, even though our new van has one.
gcvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 10:03 PM   #5

Garage
We have a shelf like that, only ours is an rb50 layout. 8 inches is pretty shallow to be useful, remember it gets narrower higher up. Ours doesn't have a door, just a lip to hold our duffel bags in.

With your layout it might be a head knocker when sitting at the dinette. Also, we sometimes sleep with our heads to the rear if our parking spot is sloped that direction. Maybe just put it on one side?
Old 04-17-2016, 10:23 PM   #6
evy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhally View Post
We have a shelf like that, only ours is an rb50 layout. 8 inches is pretty shallow to be useful, remember it gets narrower higher up. Ours doesn't have a door, just a lip to hold our duffel bags in.

With your layout it might be a head knocker when sitting at the dinette. Also, we sometimes sleep with our heads to the rear if our parking spot is sloped that direction. Maybe just put it on one side?
We won't be sitting that deep in the dinette so it wont be a head knocker BUT you raise a very good point, if we are parked in a sloped area and we have to sleep backwards :-/

I will try it out tomorrow and see if it would be a problem, thanks!
Old 04-17-2016, 10:37 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcvt View Post
I've been known to do the same on weekend trips. Just turn your underwear inside out...it's like brand new. That's even without a shower, even though our new van has one.
Frontwards, backwards, inside out frontwards, inside out backwards.
Thats 4 days of clean underwear
Old 04-17-2016, 10:52 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixCardCharlie View Post
Frontwards, backwards, inside out frontwards, inside out backwards.
Thats 4 days of clean underwear
Or just go Commando in swim trunks this time of year, at least in CA.
gcvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 02:01 AM   #9

Garage
Here in Oztralia and we want hygeine, we have the army shower. Face, Armpits, Crotch.
However, I have a 1.25 litre coke bottle with a watering can type nozzle, lather up and wash off.

Further, for storage, I have a net attached to the penthouse top that I store items in small bags,
Underwear, Shorts, TShirts, Socks, etc.

Each person could could have thir own bag/dags.

A Roof Topper box on your roof rack, is another option.
2008 Yellow Ford E350 6.0 diesel eb50 4x4, Front E Locker, Asheville Eng Rebuil 20th @ 261miles, ARP Studds, 200amp Alternator, Performance Aluminium Radiator, OnBoardAir, RoadmasterActiveSuspension, Front & Rear Aluminess with Spare Tire Carrier, Aluminess Roof Rack, Titan Aft 30gallon Fuel Tank.
Sheriffdoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 11:43 AM   #10

A rubbermaid tub fits well between the front seats and holds all kinds of stuff needed while driving. (camera, binos, maps, manuals, snacks, FRS radios etc, phone chargers etc). At camp, we use it as a small table inside the van. A $10 bucket pal (the type that goes on a 5 gallon bucket with tons of pockets) cut in pieces and screwed to the back of the tub provides about 20 pockets for misc stuff(salt, pepper, bottle opener, cork screw, stove lighter, etc). Another piece of it attached to the dog house on the passenger side gives the wife plenty of pockets for her daily on road needs. A shelf over the windshield has room for things like CB radio, note pads, glasses and lots of other misc stuff.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote