Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-17-2017, 09:21 PM   #11

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4Ken View Post
one hot day I looked hard at the pop out windows and thought I bet I can put hinges on them and open them all the way out.
I totally want to hear much more detail on this. I'm a photographer and have been wanting to figure out a way to open the side windows farther so I can shoot out of them. Details and detailed pics would be greatly appreciated!

Old 02-17-2017, 10:06 PM   #12

I'm interested in all the details and pictures you can share on your far pop out windows, please.
And had three other E350s...
Bbasso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 11:29 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianW View Post
How do they seal up with the addition of the hinges?
That was my first thought..wondering how they do in a hard rain

Pretty much everyone will step on their 'willy' once in a while.
I usually make it a point to stop and put on my golf shoes first..
E-rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 08:20 AM   #14

Garage
Window hinges – so what lead up to this other than cussing out ford for not doing it in the first place, I know we all looked at these pop outs and said why didn’t they make them open up all the way…. So one day I was at a grocery store a guy in an explorer popped open his back window and put his groceries in his suv and I stopped, looked and thought I wonder if those same hinges will fit on the van??? Nope ½ short or long or this or that I spent 2 months looking at existing window hinges across all makes and models cars and suvs. Some are really close but with glass it has to be right.
So I ended up with these 4 inch stainless steel blank hinges from JMC, took me a bit to find the webpage since I did this 2 years ago. The key is they close with a gap between the hinges this is where the frame work fits in-between perfectly.
For those who wish to take the plunge, I will try and make it very clear what I did.
You need 4 hinges – I bought 5 in case I screwed on up and a new box of black sticky sealer – 3M Windo-Weld Ribbon Sealer ¼” x 15’ part number 08610
First take out the old window and frame completely, take your time pry gently on the black rubber sticky tape, I use rubbing alcohol helps clean it way (this is the hardest part). Now you have a fresh clean start. Step one put the new hinge up in the door frame where the old bracket was and mark the hole in the center of the hinge and the cut line of the window frame. Note all the holes have to be right there isn’t that much play in everything. Use a punch, then drill and cut it. Now bolt the old bracket to your new hinge through the hole you just drilled and mark where the square hole goes. This way you keep everything pretty exact. Drill you the hole for the square hole and use a jig saw to make the square hole – not as bad as it looks, also cut the end off the hinge so that it fits in the plastic window protector. This is a common carriage bolt square so you use one for sizing instead of the aluminum nut. Once you have everything cut out you need to bend the hinge to match the glass, it’s not much like 1-2 degree so that there is no stress on the glass. Make sure it’s a nice fit. Then it up to you but I did a test fit without the windo-weld to make sure everything was at the should, if ok then just put it all back together. I ran the windo-weld around the entire frame even the new hinge; also you will need to cut the rubber gasket where the hinge lays down on the frame, it puts too much stress on the glass if you don’t. Once you have it all back together put your glass in and see how it fits. I can open mine about 80 degrees then the glass hits the door. It has never leaked, I thought if it did I would put a bead of caulk above the hinge for the water to divert. I use a piece of brass rod to hold the window open, I have a few different sizes. I would love to have some other way to do the opening just haven’t figured it out yet.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1340.jpg   IMG_1341.jpg   hinge.jpg   outside hinge.jpg   JMC .jpg  

4x4Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 08:25 AM   #15

Garage
for the pin at the bottom I just use a simple pull pin and brass rod, you can find these at any hardware store
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1345.jpg   IMG_1344.jpg   IMG_1347.jpg  
Old 02-20-2017, 08:34 AM   #16

Garage
back window screen

for the back windows we use magnets, sewn in little pouches, then sewn to the netting. You can get the netting at Mosquito Curtains.com the stuff it unbelievable strong. I don't care for the back window netting but it was the only thing I could come up with, it does work, easy on and off - the ones for the front windows work the best, pull them over the door and pull the corners then close the door. works fanatic, I want to try the same thing for the back doors, just hasn't been on the top of the list.
Attached Thumbnails
back door.jpg   IMG_1354.jpg   IMG_1355.jpg   door.jpg  
Old 02-20-2017, 08:41 AM   #17

Garage
here is another picture - might help also, I put these in 2 years ago with no issues or leaks and it rains buckets down here in north Carolina. if you take this project on, just take your time, I think it took me a full Saturday mucking about on it to make sure I got it right. I'm very happy with it - makes a huge difference in the summer time....
Attached Images

Old 02-20-2017, 08:59 AM   #18

Fantastic!
Thank you for sharing all of the far pop out window info & pics.
It is on my to do list.
And had three other E350s...
Bbasso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 09:40 AM   #19

What would really be nice, would be a way to adapt a hinge to a standard 4 bolt fixed window, without having to find a rare / pricey (seeing them for about $200 here) complete pop-out kit.

A guy can dream, can't he? :-)

Pretty much everyone will step on their 'willy' once in a while.
I usually make it a point to stop and put on my golf shoes first..
E-rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 10:24 AM   #20

Garage
I think you could do the same thing on a 4 bolt window, but there would be some stress on the glass being side ways - also you have to come up with a way to lock it, and a wind gust at the right time might take it out. I always thought if I ever broke one of these windows I would make another one out of aluminum sheeting, find a sheet metal shop with a roller that can put the curve on it. I found mine in a junk yard on some old back road in West Virginia for I think $60. if you do find a pair take them and have them tented - well worth it.