Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-23-2021, 04:41 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalgaryMcLean View Post
Current concept attached.
138" SRW chassis.
Box interior dimensions: 3000 long x 2045 wide x 1950 high
Still some tweaking to be done.
Looks great!!!...would love to figure out a pop up solution and stick with aluminess type bumpers so the spare hangs on the bumper versus the paneling.

And I definitely love the double pane windows. There is even a pano window option that Total Composites distributes which can make for an even more open van type feel, but when closed it still has similar insulating properties.

This is very much what I had in mind!

VanHallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 04:49 PM   #42

I would love to have this type of rig someday. I wonder if any of you have contacted the ambulance companies to see if they would sell just a big box with the chassis for the customer to build out? Ambo boxes are built tough and not sure if they are lighter or not but they are strong. Would the aluminum build be lighter than the composite boxes? I would love to have a box about 6.5 feet tall so as to not have to use a pop-top to get space. The ambo guys also know about flex and mounting...

Just a thought.

Calgary... just what I was thinking about with the 7.3 V8 which would be an awesome vehicle. Thinking like the old emergency response vans built for Red Cross. Maybe a fairing over the cab that could be integrated for additional storage.
Old 04-23-2021, 06:05 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddyturn View Post
I would love to have this type of rig someday. I wonder if any of you have contacted the ambulance companies to see if they would sell just a big box with the chassis for the customer to build out? Ambo boxes are built tough and not sure if they are lighter or not but they are strong. Would the aluminum build be lighter than the composite boxes? I would love to have a box about 6.5 feet tall so as to not have to use a pop-top to get space. The ambo guys also know about flex and mounting...

Just a thought.

Calgary... just what I was thinking about with the 7.3 V8 which would be an awesome vehicle. Thinking like the old emergency response vans built for Red Cross. Maybe a fairing over the cab that could be integrated for additional storage.
I do know where you can get a 6.0 diesel ambulance shell. They have very few miles and basically started every month iaw with Ford Storage procedure.. They're in Canada. They were purchased with the intent to build out and just recently got permission to sell.

https://expeditionportal.com/overlan...P4xWs2PGejnqOI

Class 3 Ambulances are going to be several thousand pounds heavier and about 96 inches wide, and tall too. They are built to withstand a roll over, but all in all just a different animal than what I'm going after here.
VanHallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 07:57 PM   #44

Quote:
138" SRW chassis.
Great concept,looks good!What are you thinking for internal amenities?
Blowby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 10:24 PM   #45

Quote:
138" SRW chassis.
Nice! I've also been playing with ideas along these lines! I'd love lots of windows and doors, and a permanent bed -- though that may fold closed sandwiching the ready-made sheets and blankets.

-- Geoff
Old 04-24-2021, 08:12 AM   #46

Oohh...drawings, now this is getting really fun. I'm a pretty skilled fabricator but my drawing skills are crayon level.

Here are my general ideas on design.

1. I want storage above the cab. I have it now and LOVE it. Adding an overhang doesn't increase the footprint of the vehicle at all and adds lots of storage.
2. I like the internal stairs like what @geoffff has shown. I'm all about simple setup and don't want any fold out stairs. I like this on my current van and will build it into my new one.
3. I'll be going with the 158WB dually...mainly for the extra 20" of space between the axles and still have a short R overhang - I almost always have a motorcycle on a rear hitch carrier so that adds about 30" of length.
4. I really really like my double side doors and double rear doors. When I open them all up I feel very connected with the outdoors. They do add a lot of complexity and bring lots of structural concerns though. Still have not figured this out fully but I am considering using double rear ambulance doors and maybe a door and a half for the side. Building it will suck, but the final product will be great.
5. I want windows all around...again, similar to what @geoffff has drawn out. I want to see the outdoors all the time and feel like I'm in it.
6. Not figured out the bed yet. in my current van I have a 34" wide bed running lengthwise on the driver's side. I have a unique situation...married but my wife will NEVER go camping...and she is OK with me going out as often as I want. So, I only need a setup for one person. For a future build I would go with a bigger bed but can't figure out where to put it yet.
- I LOVE being able to walk through the van front to rear.
- When working in the van from the spun passenger seat the interior seems so much bigger with the walkthrough
- Don't want to worry about setup and takedown every night
- Really considering a bed that pulls up into the ceiling

Finally, I think setup really depends on philosophy of use - for me I lean much more toward camping than RVing. When I'm truly camping (via canoe, or backpacking) I go very lightweight - tarp on ground, pad, sleeping bag with goretex cover. I have not slept in a tent in over a decade.

I say all of that to explain my philosophy of use. I want to live AROUND the vehicle, not IN the vehicle. I have never once cooked or brushed my teeth in my van. I really only go in side my van to get something, go to sleep or work. Otherwise I'm hanging outside under my 13' awning (on RB body). I have a big outdoor table that bolts to a mount on the side of my van, my stove is outside and I'm basically camping.

This should help explain the desire for lots of windows, two sets of double doors. I'm also looking at having a passthrough where my fridge will slide through a wall to be accessible inside or outside the vehicle. I'm also looking at integrating my awning and a fold-down outside table that are flush with the outside of the body. Maybe also a built-in ladder on the back so I can easy climb up onto the roof when I want to sleep under the stars.

Enough for now. Keep it coming, I really like this thread.

Jeff
fjefman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 08:54 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoffff View Post
Nice! I've also been playing with ideas along these lines! I'd love lots of windows and doors, and a permanent bed -- though that may fold closed sandwiching the ready-made sheets and blankets.

-- Geoff
That's really cool Geoff. My next build will likely be along those lines. I'll keep searching for the perfect utility body before I shell out for a composite box though personally. The builds like your skech up above are among my favorites here in the last few years.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 09:57 AM   #48

Ask Chris at U joint about how he mounted his deck and camper on his project 4x4 van.

A video with some info about it.

Conversion in process. Lol
Denver, CO
Lilnuts2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 01:18 PM   #49

Look what Quadvan 4x4 shows on their E-Series page!
2021 Econoline: Still Relevant

Old 04-24-2021, 02:29 PM   #50

Quote:
138" SRW chassis.

That looks fantastic - I’m going through the same process and decisions replacing our 2017 Transit at some point. Considered doing a composite box on a Transit cutaway but the GVRW limit and availability is slowly steering me towards either an E series cutaway with a 4WD conversion or a pickup base.

Watching with interest [emoji106]
WanderingBison is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
body mounts, subframe