Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-27-2021, 07:38 AM   #71

IMO the reason most MDT truck conversions use some sort of flexible body mount is because it's REALLY difficult to build a compliant suspension on a 34" frame, that can still support a heavy body without excessive body roll.

The E-series is an entire weight class lighter, and has a wider (and lower) chassis, so suspension compliance it relatively easy to tune. You're always better off tuning your springs vs trying to turn your chassis into a spring.

Old 04-27-2021, 07:48 AM   #72

Re: Static and dynamic testing - then add temperature extremes to the mix which will have an effect on dimensions and compliance of the frame and box materials.
Old 04-27-2021, 07:57 AM   #73

Just got a recommendation from UJOR, that there is enough flex in the 4x4 converted e350 cutaway chassis that a 3 point mount is recommended, which also means that some sort of boot or soft mount would be needed for the box to cab connection.
VanHallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 08:12 AM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1der View Post
Re: Static and dynamic testing - then add temperature extremes to the mix which will have an effect on dimensions and compliance of the frame and box materials.
Certainly environmental factors need to be considered, add humidity too. I understand with the total composite product that they don't recommend wrapping or painting as the darker colors can cause excessive heat resulting in delamination. However, in it's white form it stands up to rather extreme temps at least in a static conditions. It would be a rational assumption that panel materials are more brittle or fragile in extreme cold which would be a case for a more isolated box mounting approach. It would follow that in hotter conditions the materials would be more pliable so a hard or fixed mounted option could have a better chance working. However, I don't see where an isolating mounting approach would have an adverse effect in either of the extreme conditions whereas a fixed mounting could.
Old 04-27-2021, 10:55 AM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanHallen View Post
Just got a recommendation from UJOR, that there is enough flex in the 4x4 converted e350 cutaway chassis that a 3 point mount is recommended, which also means that some sort of boot or soft mount would be needed for the box to cab connection.
Not terribly surprising, but good to know.

The other half of the equation - has anyone actually driven an E-350 with the new 7.3? If you're going to put this kind of $ into a platform, it'd be good to have a feel for the new drivetrain first. I assume 350 hp and 468 ft/lb is a pretty conservative tune on that engine as well, and it looks like 5 star already has something for it.

'05 Pleasure Way Excel TS V10, still boring and 2wd
b. rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 11:19 AM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by b. rock View Post
Not terribly surprising, but good to know.

The other half of the equation - has anyone actually driven an E-350 with the new 7.3? If you're going to put this kind of $ into a platform, it'd be good to have a feel for the new drivetrain first. I assume 350 hp and 468 ft/lb is a pretty conservative tune on that engine as well, and it looks like 5 star already has something for it.
I hope to drive one soon! There are two versions of the 7.3 v8 available for the e350. The performance is the one you described and there is an economy version with 300HP and 425lbs - torque. Both deliver their torque on the low end and are not that different than the 6.8 v10 in terms of the power specs. Both should be a little better than the v10 by virtue of the 6spd transmission and tow haul mode. So far far, I'm satisfied with the v10s grunt on the highway and mountain passes. If the 7.3 with 6spd can equal the grunt of the v10 with a little better gearing for offroad and a little better gas mileage I think it would be a winner in my book. Of course it has to prove to be reliable so I'd likely stay away from tunes that could affect that.

My hope with a composite panel build the whole thing comes in around 8500 or less. If that can happen then compared to many other Fullsize truck campers and High top Vans, it would end up with a very favorable power to weight characteristics which should also help with mpg/range, reliability, on road performance and off road capability. So many builds are going big and I'm just wanting to do something a little different.
Old 04-27-2021, 01:04 PM   #77

Quote:
What scenario did you lay out for him before he gave that answer? Did you ask about his thoughts with all of the Class C and buss/Uhaul vans he has converted?

There are tens if not hundreds of thousands of various types of vehicles built on cutaway chassis out there and I've yet to see a e-series "camper" build with boot between cab and box. There is a reason for that even if none of us really knows the intricate details of that answer right now.

Jeff
fjefman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 01:15 PM   #78

Quote:

fjefman, Regarding one of my earlier posts regarding testing. As I think about it more, there should be a static or bench test if you will, ideally with the exact material. First.....
Lots of great ideas on that...and something I think all of us would like to know. But none of that is easy or simple to figure out, and maybe I'm just being pessimistic, but I doubt any of the normal "builders" out there will be providing any of that data to our satisfaction anytime soon.

Are you thinking you are going to wait until you have all of those answers until you start your build?

If not, what is it that you have to know/learn before you are ready to make a decision on what you are going to do with your attachment of box to cab and frame?

Genuinely interested in your thoughts on this...what factors will really influence your decision to go forward or not? At some point there is going to have to be a leap of faith, right? Just how far are you willing to leap? ;-)

I suspect one, if not more of us is going to kinda "lead the charge" on this "composition box" idea and learn as we go. However, in all honesty, in my mind, the charge has already been led by everyone out there doing near-solid mounting of boxes to frames for the past many decades.

Jeff
Old 04-27-2021, 01:22 PM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1der View Post
While yes, temperature/humidity does have an effect on material properties I think going down this path much further would be a lesson in paralysis by analysis.

;-)
Old 04-27-2021, 01:45 PM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjefman View Post
What scenario did you lay out for him before he gave that answer? Did you ask about his thoughts with all of the Class C and buss/Uhaul vans he has converted?
Naturally, I laid out the scenario I'm considering, a 6 inch lift and a composite box.

Like mentioned previously, the composite box is a different animal than all of the other examples you've mentioned. It is much stiffer and does not endure torsional stresses to the extent of the other products. I'm not aware of anyone who has put one of these specific boxes on an e350, especially one with a 6inch 4x4 conversion. If it has been done, I would absolutely love to know their experiences.

Also, we do know that the 3 and 4 point mounts do work with these boxes in off road conditions on heavier duty vehicles but with similar wheelbases, lifts and tire sizes. It would be useful to know what Landcruisers and G Wagons have used when they've mounted smaller but similar type boxes.

We do know that some of these boxes have been mounted in a standard way to unibody type vans for onroad use and mild offroad use with less flex and articulation, but I don't considered this a much less relevant example.

Ideally, I'll be able to get the 4x4 conversion done prior to determining the actual subframe mounting system to get some first hand flex info before the box goes on.

Tags
body mounts, subframe