Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-05-2014, 09:57 PM   #51

Re: My build so far... Deconstructed

Hey 2horse is it cold enough yet

Yodavan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 10:37 PM   #52

Well... I think it's about -10 right now. Had I thought about it earlier, I could have thrown my sleeping bag and pad in the van and tried the temp. The wife is out of town and it could have been a good experience. Maybe tomorrow.
2horsegarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 09:28 PM   #53

LOL.... Make sure you wear your Toque tonight!
Yodavan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 09:38 PM   #54

Alright... After a long wait (still kind of waiting actually) I have a few really bad pictures to post up. Despite heading to pick up my van, I decided to leave it for a few more quick additions --- plus I am out of town anyway, so I couldn't start on the interior anyway.

It was hard to get a good picture, as I couldn't get back far enough and the lighting was crappy. Nothing novel here, but I couldn't be more excited.

[
Attached Thumbnails
photo 1.JPG   photo 3.JPG   photo 4.JPG  
Old 05-27-2014, 05:51 AM   #55

Sweet!
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 10:21 PM   #56

Re: My build so far... REconstructing

Here are a couple of pics from today. I was able to finally drive the van home complete with 4WD, a pop top and finished walls. I am redoing the floor from scratch. I never really liked the foam underlayment --- always felt squishy, and the seams were not in the best places.

This time, I went with a dense sound deadening sheathing and tomorrow adding 3/4 ply over the top. The sheathing is seamed from side to side (3 pieces) and the plywood seams will be perpendicular to the underlayment (less one smaller piece). This will allow me to have a firmer floor. Additionally, I pulled out the plastic step altogether on the barn doors and will be building a wood step and a little cubby where many SMB's seem to have a little storage under the step.

I had to rebuild my floor templates since I lost some width from the wall panels and insulation, but it was easy enough to replicate from the first go-around. The key for me with a paper template was masking tape stringers side to side to give it some structure and then as I was fitting it in the van, I cut away at the edges, add some tape and cut again for a good fit.

More to come as I reconstruct.
Attached Thumbnails
Van 5_31.jpg   Van Floor2 5_31.jpg  
Old 06-02-2014, 02:29 AM   #57

Re: My build so far… REconstructing

hey now, i'm beginning a van build out and i'm planning my floor and wall system insulation. were you not happy with the Reflectix for insulation on the walls? what are you going to insulate your walls with instead?

thanks,

dan (in south littleton, co)
danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 04:58 PM   #58

I think the reflectix worked fine. I had it up for about a year and there was a noticeable difference, especially in the heat. In the winter, I had a harder time recognizing how well it worked, but I didn't camp in the van in the cold prior to adding the reflectix…
Old 06-02-2014, 09:52 PM   #59

Derek was putting the finishing touches on your van when I dropped mine off on Friday.

Bachelor party then wedding in two weeks, the clock is ticking, and we can't wait.
Waterski02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 11:00 AM   #60

We had Derek to the top (with fan and roof rack), side ladder, interior walls, finished door panels and 4WD with a vacuum actuated hubs. The process took longer than expected, but we made some changes which complicated the process.

Our original plan was just the CCV hightop… so when we placed the deposit for the top, that was all that was planned. Then, a few days before our scheduled drop off date, I asked him to do the 4WD at the same time, which wasn't part of his schedule, but he made it happen. Then, after Jamie (my wife) saw the top style he is using now she decided she didn't like look, despite the extra room. So, we had to place an order for the older style top which pushed things out even farther.

But, the finished product is great. Fit and finish look really good, and it drives great. I wish I could afford to have him complete a few more things.

After the base flooring (sound deadening sheathing and 3/4 plywood) we used a "wood" look click-lock floating floor this time. The carpet was a pain and Jamie wanted a cleaner look. It looks good and was hard as could be to cut, so hopefully it holds up.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1532.jpg   IMG_1529.jpg