Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-23-2014, 04:20 AM   #71

Re: My build so far… REconstructing

Cabinets and the Dinette's look like quality work. Job well done!

My Build Thread
SCBrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 12:38 PM   #72

Very nice!
ujointoffroad.com
UJOINT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 07:22 PM   #73

I lined the insides of the dinette/benches so I wouldn't snag up my gear. I did the walls before putting them in the van, and then finished the floor after I put them in. Using "L" brackets to secure the benches, I almost screwed up the lining. The pin-point fabric doesn't like to be drilled into --- fortunately I figured out on a scrap test piece. The fabric balled up and twisted when trying to pre drill the holes. So, I heated a small bolt and melted through the fabric at my marks. Worked perfectly.

I also cut a bunch of 3/4" strips of the same fabric and adhered to the back edges of the cabinets and dinette --- as well as the bottom edges.

This helped me slide the pieces around as I was getting them into place, and also prevents the wood from rubbing up against the walls.

One additional upside is that the fabric helped fill in some of the smaller gaps between the furniture and the walls and gave it all a finished look.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1572.jpg   IMG_1578.JPG  
2horsegarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 04:49 PM   #74

Back to white... Finally. The removal of the plastidip was NOT at all as suggested by Plastidip, but we got it off.

First couple of trips under the belt. Rethinking not adding solar and house batteries. A cooler and ice is not the answer.

Time to start more research and figuring out how to add the panels on top of the basket in a way that allows them to be tilted so I can access the basket.
Attached Thumbnails
Van top down.jpg   Van top up.jpg  
Old 08-05-2014, 05:09 PM   #75

Wow, the van looks AWESOME!!!! How is the CCV 4x4 ride and capability?

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 05:42 PM   #76
Site Team

So what prompted the color change (back)?

Herb
Old 08-05-2014, 07:36 PM   #77

Heat and heat. Which, may have been the darker color or possibly the fact that the plastidip was flat and didn't reflect anything.

Either way, it was noticeably hotter. My FatMat was melting and sliding down the walls.
Old 03-20-2016, 08:41 AM   #78

The van is looking great! I guess I missed the last pics until now. Will it not fit under the dinette or in the bottom of one of the cabinets?
The Propex is so flat you might just be able to build a small box on the floor somewhere and it wouldn't be too intrusive. I still like the under seat idea if the problems can be worked around. I'm also curious if you could put it under the driver's seat instead? That way you could have a swivel in the future if you decide and also it wouldn't be sticking out too bad in the walk through space behind the passenger seat/side door.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 09:58 PM   #79

Thanks Scotty. The cabinets came together well, but the "floating" floor didn't hold up so well. I think the propex would fit in one of the cabinets, but I constantly feel pinched for storage space. I like the idea of the heater being closer to the front in an effort to get the warm air up to the penthouse (hopefully encouraging my wife to camp and ski). The other issue is that I am not sold on the current interior configuration. I am fairly confident I am going to build out new cabinetry behind the drivers seat (and pulling out the third seat). If I was patient, I could wait until that was done - but I'd like to get the heat in ASAP and ski out of the van for what is left of the season. I was trying to decide where I could put the heater without needing to move it in the future and drill more holes - I've done a poor job thus far thinking ahead. But, I think after chatting with a few people I will place the heater in the cabinet adjacent to the barn doors facing forward. Who knows. I kinda didn't think through a swivel base not working with the heater, but since it was brought up I feel like its worth considering.

I don't currently have the van - its with Derek, so planning is even harder. He diagnosed and fixed a "death wobble" issue that ended up being a bad tire. While he has it, I am going to have him mount the propane tank and install the heater. We downsized houses this past summer and I gave up lots of garage and build space -- and my new neighbors hate my van, so working on it in the street doesn't go far. I installed the renogy solar this fall, and within about an hour got all kinds of dirty looks.
Old 03-20-2016, 10:33 PM   #80

Some of things to consider re: heater placement and penthouse:

Our layout is a walk through so that makes a bit of a difference, but you should consider ducting to the rear as well. Our heater vent comes out from about halfway back on the driver side facing into the aisle. I mocked up a diverter to split the heated air so it goes forward and rearward if I want it to. The critical part, I think, about what we did was move the penthouse bed forward about 6 inches so it left a space between the "head" of the bed and the rear canvas panel. This let the hot air rise up the rear wall and created a "curtain" between us and the rear canvas. The foot of the bed is near the large opening so that was not an issue as there was plenty of room for the hot air to rise. We set the Espar furnace at 65F for the night and it was around 55 up top, 10F outside, very comfortable in warm sleeping bags.

I am guessing your penthouse bed has a fixed rear section if it is like most CCV tops. This should be changed, imho, to allow the whole bed to be positioned on the track wherever one wants it. For us, not having the cross piece was mandatory since we had a walk-through design.

I cannot say enough good things about a walk through design, at least for two people usage. It is a huge advantage in accessing so much storage space, as well as creating a wonderful open "living" space in the forward cabin area.

re: the floating floor - what happened to not make that work? I used the floating floor approach in our build and it has worked out great. Cabinet bases are attached to the floating floor and the back of the cabinets are attached to the mid and top body ribs. Rock solid with no squeaks or rattles.

Give me a call if you want to chat about it.