My first build thread. I have been part of several car forums and done a little work here and there but have never done a good job keeping track of it--- so here is my first attempt. I am sure I will make plenty of mistakes as I go along and will do my best to share lessons learned.
I learned quite a bit as I went through making the paper flooring template. I started off creating one large piece by taping several smaller pieces together. I quickly abandoned the one large piece and cut it down into 3 small pieces so it would be easier to work inside the van. I pressed the paper up to the edges and then used a razor blade to cut out the shape. I went back and detailed "fit" the edges with tape which created a nice fitting and solid edge that made tracing it onto the foam pretty easy.
The foam made for an excellent second template since it was easy to get in and out of the van and was closer to what fitting the wood would be like... I used a coping saw blade in my hand and just cut around the template. I felt like I was slicing a giant turkey.
I painted the floor top and bottom with an indoor/outdoor non-skid paint made for stairs and walkways to protect it and provide some traction inside... Shortly there after (same day actually) I decided to carpet so the non-skid was probably not needed, but it looked good and provided a good texture for the carpet adhesive to stick to.
I used 5/16" x 3" bolts to secure the wood. I drilled through the wood, insulation and metal. I painted the holes I drilled from the bottom and used fender washers and lock nuts to secure. The FAT MAT gummed up my drill bit but was an easy clean with some WD-40.
The seam here where all three pieces come together I secured with a large, thin gauge piece of galvanized metal that covered all the corners with small screws. I covered/feathered over the screws with duct tape so I wouldn't feel them after carpeted. This worked great to secure all the seams.
I cut carpet tiles from a commercial style of carpet I liked that should hold up well. I decided to use tiles so they would be easy to repair/replace if they get damaged or stained.
Finished carpet tiles and start of Reflectix and installed tool box/cabinet. I decided to go with a tool box to save a little weight over wood and simplify my build. I added FAT MAT to the bottom and back and then the inside of each of the sides and under the top....
I built a wood frame that matched the interior size of the bottom of the tool chest and then screwed it down through the cabinet into the floor. I also secured through the back to the wall of the van by wedging two bolts on washers into a couple pre drilled holes on the side and through the back of the tool chest.
Seems to have worked well and is really quiet.
In the bottom pic you can see a piece of 1.5" aluminum angle "iron" that capped of the edge nicely. I will do the same on the front edge and the side door edge once I figure out how to bend the angle iron.