Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-07-2013, 10:45 AM   #11

Re: My do over project

I too admire your simple (r) setup. Mine would probably look just like that if I didn't spend so much time here admiring fancy SMBs!!!!

I have this type of Reliance jug mounted under my van, spigot down, and it never leaks. I have had one spout crack but that was due to freezing when I forgot to empty it. BTW, it has a typical spigot which is turned backwards inside the jug. I just realized the pic doesn't show the spigot.

http://www.amazon.com/Reliance-Produ...+water+carrier

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 02:43 AM   #12

Less at Walmart.
stanw909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 05:19 PM   #13

I just got back from the first trip in the "new" van. I could kick myself for spending the first 5 years with a layout I didn't like. Having access to everything without going outside is huge. We had steady rain for 3 of the 6 days camping so we spent more time inside than usual. The space gained by removing the bench seat and putting all storage on the sides made it feel like we gained a complete room! I can now stand up inside and cook without having to pack up the stove each night.
Night 1, just north of Belden on in the Feather River Canyon. Wandered down a side road and came upon a gate with a sign that said "this is a small drinking community with a mining problem". We found a spot along the river away from the drinking community, maybe 100 yards off the highway but private and the river drowned out any traffic noise. At 3 am the drinking community began some "mining"...with dynamite. 3 huge explosions and then it was over. Unnerving but it only lasted about 30 seconds. The next morning we could see eveidence of lots of digging and earth moving going on.

Night 2, Mill Creek Campground, Warner Mountains off of Jess Valley Rd. 20 miles east of Likely on 395. This spot is very nice with well spaced camps. You can hike to Clear Lake and Mill Creek Falls about a mile in. Lots of dry camp opportunities and the FS roads are well kept.

Night 3, Pepperdine Camp about 20 miles from Mill Creek. This was our favorite spot of all. 4 sites only and no people. Water and a brand new Forest Service cast cement 2 hole pit toilet. It looked and smelled unused. It started raining that afternoon but we managed a nice camp fire in between squalls. I will return to this place and stay a few days and do some hiking.

Day 4, we drove north east out of the Warners and down to Cedarville CA in the Surprise Valley. Beautiful pristine little farm town. From there we headed west towards Alturas. From 299 we cut of north on 89 to Macloud. More pretty country.

Night 4, we satyed in Yreka with a friend...free meal...free shower.

Day 5, we headed south on Hwy 3 destination Weaverville. I highly recommend this stretch of highway. It takes you through the beautiful Scott Valley. The town of Etna is a classic mining/mountain town. We didn't spend enough time there. From Weaverville we headed west on 299 to the Canyon Creek rd. turn off. About 12 miles up you get to a camp ground which serves as the jumping off point for backpackers going into the Trinity Wilderness. It was still raining but again I got a campfire going. At about 2500 ft. it was warm.

Day 6 , we broke camp and drove another 3 miles up to the trailhead parking lot....it was nearly full. I miss read Charlie56's description of the trail. I thought he said it was a 2 mile hike to some water falls. It's a 2hour hike one way.....but WOW is this spectacular country! It's a good trail but we had not packed enough water. It was hot so we turned around just shy of the falls. We headed for Arcata arriving about 6. Motel and some excellent sushi at Sush One restaurant in Mckinleyville. If you are near there at dinner time this is a very unusual place with excellent sushi and staff of folks that will amaze and surprise you.

Day 7, home....too many miles (1000+) to drive in a week.
Attached Thumbnails
Mill Creek Falls.jpg   Ruth at reast (Small).jpg   Clear Lake.jpg  
07 BMW 525xi wagon
Christopher Thwaites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 08:58 PM   #14

Sounds like a great trip Chris and glad you like your new layout.

Phil

- 2005 EB50 6.0PSD - SMB 4x4
pjpvi is offline   Reply With Quote