Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-27-2016, 07:30 PM   #11

My First Ford, Diesel, and 4x4::::1997 Ford Econoline E350 7.3L Powerstroke

They're here already damnvan, and I hope you didn't mind me ribbing you a little bit. [emoji16]
You'll find lots of good help here but I'm not a diesel guy. I'm not opposed to them, just a little afraid of the maintenance nightmares they can occasionally be.
BTW, my ABS light is on too. It's come on intermittently on a couple of vans I've had and CarringB probably just told me how to fix it.
Good luck on the glow plug issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rallypanam View Post
Jealousy is ugly.

Isn't it? I wouldn't turn down a 7.3. Umm, I don't think. [emoji57]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 10:02 PM   #12

Rear sensor is cheap and trivial to replace, it's very likely what's off. If not, it was going to go sooner or later anyway.

If you're near the SF peninsula, PM me, I have a reader that does ABS on my 99.

In general the 7.3s are held in high regard, so I wouldn't just walk away from it. Our vans are however getting close to 20 years old at this point. The good news is that unlike most classic cars, they were made in super high volume for a very long time, and have good, cheap OEM and aftermarket, support for all the little stuff. The little stuff still goes though. I just replaced my turn signal switch...

'99 EB ex ENG KSWB news van, low rent 4x4 conversion (mostly fixed by now), home built interior.
MadScience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 11:42 PM   #13

Nobody can really say your tolerance financially and timewise for this van. And let me be the first to say that any used vehicle can get ya. I have a 2013 gasser that has already surprised me in a couple ways in trying to get it where I want it, so yeah, my wallet is lighter.

Maybe look for a diesel shop down there to help you out instead of Galpin. My F250 is out of warranty so it's gonna go to an independent guy who used to be a Ford Diesel mechanic.

Best of luck and hopefully this van takes a turn for the better.
Flux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 08:32 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty View Post
Sorry to hear of your troubles. You could sell it here for twice what it's worth and buy yourself two or three V10 vans and then never have to do any maintenance again. Oh, you can also have conversations with your passengers!

Woo hoo! Don't hold back tell us how ya really feel
Old 10-28-2016, 08:47 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by damnvan View Post
That would be ideal, if you know anyone looking...send them to the forum
DamnVan I hope you slept on it and have some clarity on your 7.3.! I agree with Flux, and friends I have with diesels seem to have access to private diesel mechanics. Of course finding them is the challenge so it takes some patience. If you were near Cincinnati, I know of 2. If near NE Ohio I know of one solid diesel shop, possibly 2. MY POINT IS that I talked to a lot of people over several months before I located the NE ohio shops close to where I live now.

Closest I could factor in would be $5000 extra budget money for bulletproofing a deisel engine when I was shopping (as always, "it all depends"). But that's just me- my 2 cents worth, which is worth about 2 cents!

OH and if my spelling offends anyone I think I trained my spellchecker to Vin's name, not that that's a bad thing!

Btw, are you a fan of Hank3? You know- Hank3 And His Damn Band?
Old 10-28-2016, 10:50 AM   #16

@madscience, ahhh about 2 days too late, on the Oregon Coast now but I do appreciate the offer.

@AnnieO, yup, thats where the name came from!
damnvan is offline   Reply With Quote