Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-26-2016, 11:24 AM   #1

My First Ford, Diesel, and 4x4::::1997 Ford Econoline E350 7.3L Powerstroke

Alright, this is my first post here and i was hoping to get some feedback/thoughts/advice on my current situation.

I've been looking for a van to start my project with, and after some research I my ideal vehicle was a 97 7.3l E350 with 4x4 conversion done by Salem Kroger. The van has 108k miles, not bad for a 20 year old vehicle. Knowing I wanted a vehicle that could go anywhere anytime I wanted a diesel pre 97 (no smog needed in CA pre 98). I purchased the vehicle from eBay without seeing first in person (first mistake) and since the day I received the van, have had issue after issue. I took the van to Galpin Fleet Service (second mistake) willing to pay a premium price for premium service. The van then sat at Galpin for 30 days for a long list of fixes and the worst customer service experience I've ever had in my life.

About 30 miles after leaving Galpin, the Service Engine Soon and ABS lights go on. I was able to read the codes for the SES light which came back as a bad glow plug in cylinder 7. I figured okay might as well replace all 8 GPs. I get to cylinder 7 and the gp is stuck in the head. We tried troubleshooting and it seems like the only way to get it out at this point is to machine/bore the head.

I've read on forums this is not that big of an issue and that people have been known to drive 10K+ miles with stuck glowplugs. Is this true? Anyone have a similar experience they can share?

As for the ABS light I have not had the chance to look into this yet, can anyone here recommend a trustworthy brake shop anywhere in Northern California?

I've already invested more money than originally intended in a very short period of time, and still don't feel as if I have a van capable of being on the road for very long stretches of time being used as an adventure mobile.

Thanks in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1725.jpg  

damnvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 11:32 AM   #2

As a fellow 1997 7.3 owner, my only advice is make sure you do the fuel tank mods. You can find my recent thread on the matter. Basically the in fuel tank filter is known to get clogged very easily.

Sorry to not be help with the glowplugs, but once you get this thing running good you will love it.
bemerritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 11:36 AM   #3

Welcome and now I understand your handle of Damnvan! one thing about this forum (and I don't think I'm alone) is that people are friendly so the community has a way of easing stress and I hope you find that here also!

I imagine you have looked at Ford Truck Enthusiasts forum for your situation?

Also, I posted this on another thread (I believe they have a means to submit questions to mechanic):
Www.Powerstrokehelp.com
Old 10-26-2016, 11:36 AM   #4

In warmer climates it will start just fine when its down a glow plug. CA-vans have a glow-plug-module. The rest of the vans only have a glow plug relay, so you don't even know you're down some glow plugs until it becomes hard to start. I don't know if you can simply swap the module for a relay. If you went with an aftermarket tune, you could simply have it ignore certain codes.

For ABS - most independent shops can read ABS codes. Most likely its your rear speed sensor. They can foul with limited slip clutch material, and they also have a finite life. I just replaced mine this week for the 3rd time (and I've cleaned it off a few times in between).
Old 10-26-2016, 12:47 PM   #5

Wow never mind the external links, I should have know we have all the expertise right cheer
Old 10-26-2016, 04:08 PM   #6

Thank you everyone for your feedback it is appreciated.

Ultimately need to figure out if this van is worth continuing to drop money into, or if I just need to sell it, recoup some costs and start a new project.
Old 10-26-2016, 05:09 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by damnvan View Post
Thank you everyone for your feedback it is appreciated.

Ultimately need to figure out if this van is worth continuing to drop money into, or if I just need to sell it, recoup some costs and start a new project.
Sorry to hear of your troubles. You could sell it here for twice what it's worth and buy yourself two or three V10 vans and then never have to do any maintenance again. Oh, you can also have conversations with your passengers!

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 08:14 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty View Post
You could sell it here for twice what it's worth and buy yourself two or three V10 vans and then never have to do any maintenance again. Oh, you can also have conversations with your passengers!

You're killin' me......
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 06:53 PM   #9

Quote:
Sorry to hear of your troubles. You could sell it here for twice what it's worth and buy yourself two or three V10 vans and then never have to do any maintenance again. Oh, you can also have conversations with your passengers!

That would be ideal, if you know anyone looking...send them to the forum
Old 10-27-2016, 07:01 PM   #10

Quote:

Jealousy is ugly.
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote