Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-03-2018, 10:56 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctictraveller View Post
Great work, lots of work putting the thread together too. Keep the updates coming.
Thank you for the kind words arctictraveller,

I has been fun to go back through my work over the last two years. It really puts into perspective what it takes to build a van like this and why costs are crazy from the builders.

A woman forgets her pain 5 minutes after child birth when she gets to see the fruits of her labor. I have forgotten all the swearing I did while building each of these projects. I realize that the comparison is weak and very much disproportionate but it gets the point across.

DaYeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 11:11 PM   #42

Upper Bunk

Today started with a bit of snow. It is Early April 2018 in the CO mountains. We had about 8 inches at the house. Spring is usually one of the heavier snow times for the Front Range in CO. Storms come from the East in the Spring making the Eastern Slope, the windward side of the mountains. We usually get a few bigger storms in the Spring. Last year we got 31 inches on May 19th. The year before 42 inches in mid April. Yesterday was about 8 inches. Someone decided that would be a good day to rent a Lamborghini in Boulder and drive it up the Canyon. This one was all-wheel-drive after all.

Someone tells me the insurance won't be too happy on this one. We had several accidents and stuck trucks blocking the canyon and it shut down for an hour or so.

I had to get tires for my wifes car. A Subaru XV Crosstrek. I loaded up 4 tires in the van and headed down the canyon. Wife needed them done for the following day so I had no choice but to drive down in the snow. I wish I had gotten pictures but it was much easier to take 4 Subaru tires in the van than it was to bring home 4 35" van tires in the Subaru.

Once I got home the snow had mostly melted already and I decided to work on the van a bit. I stuck in some supports and the board I had for the old bed that I had from before the high top install. I really needed to ensure that there would in fact be enough room for the kids to sleep up there before I went any further. Looks like it will work. I got up there myself and while tight, it will work.

I attached it just enough to test. I stuck a rag in there to keep the board from rattling and driving me up the wall. I will be replacing this board with one that is actually cut to fit the space now that I know it will work.

The two girls are mine. The other is my nephews kid who was visiting. Sleeping will really just be the two. They love playing up there. Never met anyone so excited to sleep in their new bed. I will have to keep the mattress on the thin side.

Old 04-16-2018, 10:10 PM   #43

Upper bunk finishing touches

I made some progress on my upper bunk this week. made the swing up part of the bed and carpeted the platform. Only thing left is to figure out a latch to keep the bed in the up position while driving and camping in non sleep mode and to add in a thin mattress. I am looking at some 2 inch memory foam toppers for that.

Platform hinges up to give us more standing room and to keep all the bedding and bags we keep up top where they belong while driving.

Hinge detail. They are 1/2 inch heim joints with jam nuts. Cheap and strong. I also wrapped the permanent cross bars in carpet and used heavy duty zip ties to secure them. I think it will work.

All smiles. They like their new bed.

Old 04-24-2018, 12:36 AM   #44

Loving what you got built so far man!
SouthernSnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 09:00 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernSnake View Post
Loving what you got built so far man!
Thank you.

Tags