Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-18-2020, 05:35 PM   #1

Need Advice - Replacement Suspension Parts

Hey All!

I have a 1998 Ford E-250 w/ a Quigley conversion and a 5.4L V8 (aka Shreddie Bettie). I think the suspension that's currently on there is probably from when the original conversion was completed when the State of California purchased this van new and sent it to Quigley 20+ years ago. I've had the van for 2 years, lived in it for 1 and am now using it as my weekend adventure rig. I'm ready to replace/upgrade the suspension and hopefully give her a better ride around town, on the highway and out on Forest Service Roads. No real wheelin for us, but it sure would be nice to feel a bit more confident my head isn't going to shoot through the ceiling on MTB shuttle laps.

In a perfect world, I'd pony up for the Agile-tuned Fox Shocks, but don't think that's in my budget right now. I'm hoping to get Shreddie Bettie plushed up for $1000 or so. I haven't weighed her recently, but would put her weight at around 8,000lbs when she's loaded up.

Would love your thoughts on what you've seen that works well and what I should avoid.

James

IG: @shreddie_bettie
PulseofdaNation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 06:12 PM   #2

Garage
How much is the rip package these days? Can you buy just their tuned shocks or are they forcing people to buy a kit now to get them?
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 06:31 PM   #3

The shocks are about $400 a pair, so that doesnt leave much budget for anything else. If you can replace all the bushings yourself, that might help, but if you have to pay for labor, bushings alone will blow the budget.
Grampswrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 08:05 PM   #4

Garage
Wow, the ole #vanlife tax has been applied. Damn. Glad I got them when I did. Iirc, I paid around 500 for a set of 4 shocks.

You can buy the moog springs locally and make your own swaybar lowering blocks for cheap. Springs will give you a little lift for more travel and they have a progressive rate for a better ride.

Imho, even though the price has gone way up, having a custom valved shock for the weight of your rig is pretty hard to beat. Their shocks were the single best thing I did to make my quigley drive and act like a regular vehicle.
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 10:51 PM   #5
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF
If Agiles RIP kit isn’t in the budget, go for Bilsteins, I think you’d be fine going with the comfort shocks in the rear vs the HD that are valved for heavier rigs and RV’s
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 01:20 PM   #6

Bilsteins for free

Quote:
Originally Posted by REF View Post
If Agiles RIP kit isn’t in the budget, go for Bilsteins, I think you’d be fine going with the comfort shocks in the rear vs the HD that are valved for heavier rigs and RV’s
I have a set of 4 Bilsteins that came off of my 2004 E 350 Quigley with 35k minimal 4x4 miles on them. Not sure of the part numbers but they are what was recommended to me by Bilstein. One of their engineers crawled under my van with me at their factory in Poway CA to formulate his recommendation.

They worked well but the Fox units I have now work much better.

Available in Oceanside, pick up only.
joe

P.S. I do know that they are NOT the HD RV shocks

MAJOR CORRECTION! I still have the Bilstein boxes and just went to check them out. Lo and behold they contain my original Motorcraft shocks with 5k miles on them. I now seem to remember leaving the Bilsteins behind at Agile when I had the RIP kit installed. Please forgive my delayed recall of events. I am very sorry to get anyones hopes up.
The Motorcrafts are available for free but probably not very desirable.
wahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 01:35 PM   #7

Message sent
Youngster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 02:28 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Youngster View Post
Message sent
David, PM sent
wahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 03:52 PM   #9

This was my quote for RIP from Agile last year. Does not include labour. Labour was $845 if I brought it to them but the trip would cost approx 2k in gas.
Attached Thumbnails
Agile Quote.JPG  
Old 06-28-2020, 06:01 PM   #10

RIP kit

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenrie View Post
How much is the rip package these days? Can you buy just their tuned shocks or are they forcing people to buy a kit now to get them?
Hi Shea, just spoke with Agile a couple weeks ago RIP kits are $2,295.00 plus tax and shipping. They offered to sell me the kit less shocks, since I have new Bilstiens.
Joe Futrmobl
Futrmbl is offline   Reply With Quote