Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-04-2012, 01:56 PM   #1

Need awesome sound in my van!

So I want to have some great tunes blasting at base camp, while also having great concert sound as I'm driving. Have you ever done this? If so, please tell me about all the different components you used. Thanks!

Right now, I have a Kenwood receiver that puts out 22 RMS x 4 but I'm probably gonna go with an amp anyways.

I also have an 8" powered sub.

So I'll I really need to know are some good, powerful 6x8 speakers and an amp to drive at least 6 speakers.

I will also be doing a set up where I will have two detachable speakers to bring right to camp. So let me know if you have any experience with that too. thanks!

dudewithvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 02:20 PM   #2

Re: Need awesome sound in my van!

Sounds exactly like the system I had in my Ford. I miss it...
webbmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 11:00 PM   #3
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF

There are many high end components out there, I have Focal speakers, Zapco amps and an alumapro sub, really like them. That said, JL (not JBL) makes some good solid stuff, amps, speakers and great subs. I have a separate amp to power outdoor speakers with a volume knob and a speaker connector box mounted inside the door and an interior speaker cutoff switch. I keep the speakers in the XL storage with long runs of speaker wire as well as a bracket to hang them on the rain gutter.
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 09:15 PM   #4
Site Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by REF
There are many high end components out there, I have Focal speakers, Zapco amps and an alumapro sub, really like them. That said, JL (not JBL) makes some good solid stuff, amps, speakers and great subs. I have a separate amp to power outdoor speakers with a volume knob and a speaker connector box mounted inside the door and an interior speaker cutoff switch. I keep the speakers in the XL storage with long runs of speaker wire as well as a bracket to hang them on the rain gutter.
Zapco is still around? The guy who started that company Rob Zeff was a substitute teacher of mine back in the 70's. Man, the guy was a great dude. Probably worth a zillion now days.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 09:45 PM   #5

Garage

Please keep us informed of your whereabouts so that I can make sure I'm at least 100 miles from anywhere that you are camping.
Old 12-05-2012, 09:53 PM   #6

No offense, but why? I go to middle of nowhere to relax with some peace and quiet. Did all the crazy adrenalin stuff long ago and far away. I agree with Jeffery.
larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 09:58 PM   #7

Guys, let's not get off topic here. I appreciate the earlier comments and it sounds like its a common thing to have removable speakers for base camp. I understand peace and quite, but sometimes it's alright to party. I wanna make sure that I have the sound necessary when I feel like throwing an awesome BBQ in the middle of no where. You can't blast AC/DC on some crappy factory speakers!
dudewithvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 10:29 PM   #8
Site Team

Garage

Yep, I'm quiet at any camp that might be close to others, but sound does travel. It's a calculated effort to not piss off the neighbors.
Jeffery I rarely upset my neighbors by popping off my AR-15 at dusk I'm polite and do it during the day Just kidding...I shoot it in the morning

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 12:22 AM   #9
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF

Uh...ya, how's the saying go? Something about opinions are like something and everyones got one. I am quite certain that this post and its topic was not intended to be used to piss off camping neighbors, near or far, or anyone on the forum for that matter. There are lots of us with upgraded stereo systems in our rigs, doesn't mean we're going to be the A-holes blasting crap around others until 3am. There's times we're camping with friends and just want good sounding tunes, while being respectful of surroundings, so we'll shut it down by 2am
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 07:45 AM   #10

I'm all for an awesome sound system. If you have a diesel component speakers in the front are nice so you can mount the tweeter higher up to get above the engine noise (ie., in the A-pillars). And it's nice to have a dedicated sub, especially for movies.
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote