Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-12-2016, 09:17 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsBeast View Post
I've got a few random thoughts for you:

What's your budget like? Cash upfront or 'build as you go' makes a lot of difference. ie the previous owner (who originally converted my camper van to 4x4) spent over $11k having a shop in Idaho use a combination of a UJOR kit and locally sourced parts.

Diesels are more expensive than gas powered vans, weather or not it's worth it sorta depends on how many miles you expect to put on it. Sometimes the offset in increased fuel mileage doesn't make up for the higher purchase price.

I wouldn't be stuck on a specific brand, but I can say having a more common Ford makes retrofitting and finding repair parts much easier/cheaper than going with a Chevy or Dodge.

I have a fold out sofa in front section of my 32' race trailer that makes into a comfortable bed. One option is to buy a van with no interior, and just bolt in something like that, or a side wall, fold down single bunk (like they use in some Toy Hauler trailers). Then just use plastic storage bins ratchet strapped in place with D rings for gear, clothes, stove and coffee pot.
I'm more likely to build as time and money permit. It would be nice to start with a 4x4 and make an interior but I haven't been close enough to jump on something yet before it sells.

I've stopped ruling out Fords but finding one hasn't been too easy either. I'll keep looking.

Your idea with a fold out bed/sofa is a good idea. I don't want much inside. I figure start small and add what's needed in time when I learn what works for me.

I'm looking at the 2008 GMC mentioned above tomorrow. It may be too nice but it's close and I need to start seeing something in person soon. I'll let you know how it goes.

wantahertzdonut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 11:29 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by wantahertzdonut View Post
I'm looking at that one this Wednesday!
Sweet! That one looks pretty clean and low miles. Hope it goes well!
Old 04-12-2016, 01:55 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikracer View Post
Sweet! That one looks pretty clean and low miles. Hope it goes well!
I'll report back after I see it.

I do have two concerns about it. First, it has a sliding door. I read on Boulder Offroad's site this can interfere with larger tires. How big can I go before the door hits?

Second, it's a 3/4T chassis. Would the rear axle need to be replaced?
Old 04-15-2016, 08:30 AM   #14

Overall the van is in great shape. It's almost too nice! As is the thing will perform great but I wonder if the sliding door will be an issue with larger tires as well as will the sliding mechanism, whose top track appears to attatch to the ceiling, would prevent the installation of a raised roof. Am I correct in my assumption?
Old 04-15-2016, 08:50 AM   #15

Garage
Quote:
...First, it has a sliding door. I read on Boulder Offroad's site this can interfere with larger tires. How big can I go before the door hits?

^^^ contact member mgmetalworks. he has some sort of adapter that allows the door to swing out enough to clear some of the bigger tire sizes.
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 09:09 AM   #16

wantahertzdonut - If you want a really super nice 2003 Ford E350 V10 15 Pass XLT with a QuadVan TTB 4wd and lots of little goodies such as 46 gal transfer flow, Ravelco, awning, house battery system and transformer interior (no pop top) I am in San Francisco and am selling our V10 van. Super clean and a great driving rig. I just have not had time to get pics and posting done. PM me.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3546.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	102.5 KB
ID:	11286
Old 04-15-2016, 07:51 PM   #17

One other issue I forgot to mention is it has no cruise control. That was a surprise to me since even my 1997 F350 with a stick has cruise. And I use it a lot. Do the vans usually not have it?
Old 04-15-2016, 08:37 PM   #18

Quote:
.... no cruise control....
That would be a deal killer for me. The ad said Cruise Control, hmmmm.

I have not come across too many Ford vans that did NOT have cruise. Seems like all the ones I looked at have had it.
Old 04-15-2016, 08:52 PM   #19

That would be a deal killer for me too....
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 10:19 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1der View Post
wantahertzdonut - If you want a really super nice 2003 Ford E350 V10 15 Pass XLT with a QuadVan TTB 4wd and lots of little goodies such as 46 gal transfer flow, Ravelco, awning, house battery system and transformer interior (no pop top) I am in San Francisco and am selling our V10 van. Super clean and a great driving rig. I just have not had time to get pics and posting done. PM me.
Attachment 11286
PM sent.

I texted the owner of the Chevy and it does NOT have cruise. I think I'll keep looking, there are others nearby that have promise.