Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-12-2020, 02:49 PM   #11

I have been toying around with the idea of using Rivet Nuts to attach pieces of wood to the interior walls.. It does require some drilling but at least you are threading hardware into an actual nut rather than just drilling a self tapper into the body.... thought i would share my brainstorm a bit

CGgonzo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 03:26 PM   #12

That's how I attached my panels. I would recommend attaching wood studs with rivnuts then screwing the panels into the studs. It's almost impossible to get you bolt to line up with a rivnut through a panel.
whatpants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 03:33 PM   #13

That is exactly what I was planning to do. Basically attaching the studs with RivNuts then you have wood to screw panels into and good solid mounting points etc
CGgonzo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 09:37 PM   #14

Bumping this up for some more examples. Any one have photos of the process?
BUFFALO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 10:15 PM   #15

Garage
I really like this video and the way he approaches things.

Old 05-20-2020, 11:12 PM   #16

You can use plus nuts and attach wood 1x4 to the walls. Or you could attach heavy gauge 1/4” x 4” aluminum flat metal shaped instead of the 2x4 wood.

Follow the curve of the walls on the van. Then build out wood ribs to the shape of the walls scribed in and make them level and straight on the inside surface. Now you have a flat wall.
Old 05-21-2020, 03:01 AM   #17

Garage
You guys have some great ideas here! I’m considering another direction... you’re welcome to try and talk me out of it.

I’ve been following the Winnebago Revel mods pretty closely for a while. A guy came up with an aftermarket 80/20-based mod that really appeals to me and I’m starting to put a design together for my van to see if I like it.

This GLSS is so simply made, is removable, and is non-destructive to the existing trim. It finally hit me that I can construct basic boxes that fit up against the trim but don’t need to conform to every curve. My van design is modular to allow me to convert it to open space when needed or add/subtract seating at will. I can attach anything to the L-track, which is plenty sturdy and negates the need to connect to the walls. Though leaving the trim intact takes up storage space, it also provides a lot of opportunity for stuffing wool insulation inside.

Take a look at this video. I like how he just picks those cabinets up and pops them in the van.

https://youtu.be/bv_5LYJ340c

Here’s their website:

https://canyonadventurevans.com/outfitting-glss

Old 05-21-2020, 12:47 PM   #18
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otter View Post
You guys have some great ideas here! I’m considering another direction... you’re welcome to try and talk me out of it.

I’ve been following the Winnebago Revel mods pretty closely for a while. A guy came up with an aftermarket 80/20-based mod that really appeals to me and I’m starting to put a design together for my van to see if I like it.
IMHO the GLSS is indeed an appealing idea however would it as delivered 100% meet your needs or expectations? The cost I see on their website suggest even the most basic assembly is expensive, that the entire framework and connecting bits could be DIY fabricated for less expense but perhaps more tailor-made to your needs and wants?

There's certainly advantages to buying it ready-to-assemble if the price isn't a deciding factor. I have a friend outfitting a Unicell box truck on a 2013 E-Series cutaway who has finally decided on using the 80/20 for a box/bed/bench in his build. He's decided this is the path to go as the DIY part allows him maximum flexibility in the final shape and function.

Nothing more than my opinion mind you---if this is your choice it is a nice piece to add.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 01:04 PM   #19

Garage
JWA: LOL, no fancy ready-made for me! The GLSS is only for Revels. I’ve got an E350 and a small bank account. If I go this route, I’ll be in my garage pulling down a Diablo in the chop saw all summer. I think it could be fun and turn out nice.

It was this guy’s simple design and portability that caught my eye. I’m a woodworker and will be doing at least part of the cabinets in wood but this stuff is light and versatile. I have a local supplier for all the 80/20 and connectors so won’t have to worry about freight.
Old 05-21-2020, 02:49 PM   #20
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otter View Post
JWA: LOL, no fancy ready-made for me! The GLSS is only for Revels. I’ve got an E350 and a small bank account. If I go this route, I’ll be in my garage pulling down a Diablo in the chop saw all summer. I think it could be fun and turn out nice.

It was this guy’s simple design and portability that caught my eye. I’m a woodworker and will be doing at least part of the cabinets in wood but this stuff is light and versatile. I have a local supplier for all the 80/20 and connectors so won’t have to worry about freight.
Ahhh okay then Otter----you've got this well in hand then. Kudos for having access to the 80/20 shapes and hardware too---that'll make things much much easier.

The modular portability is a great idea and I'm sure you'll be find a way to incorporate that into your own design and build.

I for one will be looking forward to your creation!
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote