Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-24-2020, 09:13 AM   #31

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mothgils View Post
Otter...I'm interested to see your design. How do you plan to secure the cabinets? Will they attach to the walls?
Hi Mothgils. I won’t need the walls for that. I’ll be attaching them with angle brackets directly to the L-track that runs the length of the van on both sides. Back in the beginning, I thought I’d need to secure everything to the walls but,having spent the last year attaching various loads to the L-track, I’m impressed with how stable it all is.

Old 05-28-2020, 04:43 PM   #32

I'm still trying to figure out if I'm going to go the route of the extruded aluminum framing, but I'm really leaning in that direction. I too, am more confident in my erector set skills over my woodworking skills. I also really like the fact that if I want to change/move something, it's much easier to take it apart & put it back together without damaging it.

One thing I'm thinking about is do I really need to go with the larger size 80/20, or can I get it done with the smaller size? Especially since almost all of what I'll be building will be storage. The guy that does the OurKaravan videos mentions the smaller size 80/20, but doesn't really explain why he chose the larger size. In my humble opinion, he tends to over-do stuff, so "bigger must be better" may be his reasoning.

I've seen the Goose Gear stuff up close and have talked to a bunch of folks that have it. It seems more than adequate/strong enough and is about the same size as the smaller 80/20 stuff, although I can't figure out if it's the same thing or something different. Does anybody know?

Also, does anybody know what these companies are using for the side panels/inserts?
Old 05-28-2020, 11:51 PM   #33

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen View Post
One thing I'm thinking about is do I really need to go with the larger size 80/20, or can I get it done with the smaller size? Especially since almost all of what I'll be building will be storage. ?

Also, does anybody know what these companies are using for the side panels/inserts?
The Series 10 (smaller size) 8020 is likely adequate for anything that isn’t going to hold a load of any kind. But here’s an interesting thought I came across while researching which one to use: the small size of the series 10 makes it harder to fit your fingers in when inserting and tightening nuts. The builder who said it seemed to think it was a real PITA. Something to think about. I’ll be using the more robust series 15 because of loads.

As to the panels, here’s the catalog link to what 8020 sells. They have a nice selection and it all fits perfectly into the slots. But you also see people using plywood of various types.

80-20-Inc-Catalog-23 462 80/20 Inc.
Old 05-31-2020, 09:18 AM   #34

Definitely some things to consider, especially being all thumbs.