Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-18-2014, 08:06 PM   #11

Re: New A/C installation, need feedback please!

Check this out. Dometic has a several new A/C models for camper vans. I really like the Skylight-A/C!

https://www.dometic.com/57e55fa2-b7b...2b00edab.fodoc

Rear-upper flush mount A/Cs are popular in class-Bs, so the headroom issue must not be too bad. I like the look, and it certainly addresses the height issue for a van that need garage clearance.

Also there are several makers of 12-volt A/C systems. Just web search "12-volt bus A/C". Many of not most shuttle busses use 12-volt A/C compressors because it allows the rear condenser to mounted below the bus body where it can be sized much larger, and also not add heat load to the engine. Plus they maintain performance while idling in traffic. They can be run off battery banks, but they draw a lot of amps so it would take a huge battery bank for any extended A/C use without the engine.

Old 04-18-2014, 08:41 PM   #12

Still almost 8 inches tall. Very neat though
stanw909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 08:56 PM   #13

Cool link carringB, I can't believe they're finally making some sensible options for small RVs!

Evy, take a look at that under bench model (HB2500). It's size is listed in mm, but it is 16x11x30" and 8500btu. I with I had one! I wonder how easy they will be to get and how much they will be?

Anyway, very good options.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 08:10 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by evy
Hi everyone,
So I'm still working on the design of my DIY campervan.

I came up with a new design for air conditioning, using a standard 110v 8000btu window unit with remote control (250$)

For the rear louver I could use one of those rear window truck louvers or just a standard industrial aluminum louver.

Look at my new drawings.

...cut....
I don't see on drawings how you would separate cool and hot air on condenser. If you don't do an adequate job the air conditioner won't cool correctly and may overheat to the point of shutting down or even damage.
Chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 01:33 PM   #15

I think the louvers he proposed would provide adequate ventilation.
stanw909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 03:21 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanw909
I think the louvers he proposed would provide adequate ventilation.
You might be right, but window units are designed to operate with condenser sitting in free air, just like residential central air conditioners and other condensing units. On cooler days you might not notice the issue, but on hot days if you get any recirculation of air the AC could overheat and/or lose capacity.

Manufacturers that use window units (and I installed one inside my van, so I have nothing at all against them) make an effort to segregate the air flow as much as possible. Look closely at these vans and you'll see baffles or some kind of plenum. Lately I've seen window ACs used more often on small trailers too to keep OAH lower and also reduce cost, and they too segregate the air streams as much as possible.

I'd use one again if I were building another myself, but I would not install it like you have it due to expectation that air could recirculate around the condenser. It might not even happen all the time but only when wind is blowing just right (I'd guess slight direct wind towards back of van might be worse-case scenario. Exhaust air could be pushed back to suction too easily.

Just a second opinion. Good luck with your project, looks cool.
Chance is offline   Reply With Quote