Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-29-2014, 05:05 AM   #1
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
New Milwakee M12 Tool

Thought since most of us here lust after that just-right tool quite a bit I'd share something new recently discovered. Here 'tis: http://www.milwaukeetool.com/power-t...dless/2438-22x

I've had a need for something like this in my windshield biz, have looked at the pneumatic versions but those require more CFM's than I care to try producing out on a job, away from a shop. 120 VAC versions are rare and over $450 which is fair but a bit unreasonable for the somewhat limited use this will see.

Because I'm already hip deep in Milwaukee M12 tools this is the perfect kit for me. It can be had from Amazon for about $195 shipped, a fair price IMHO.

Anyway, I thought we DIY's would find this useful.

JWA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 06:03 AM   #2
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF
New Milwakee M12 Tool

That dude figured out the matrix and cloned himself, that'll make quick work of polishing that bimmer......
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 05:53 AM   #3
JWA

Re: New Milwakee M12 Tool

Quote:
Originally Posted by REF
That dude figured out the matrix and cloned himself, that'll make quick work of polishing that bimmer......
??????

Okay so here's a small update on this new tool, first impressions right after delivery.......

Arrives very compactly inside its included "soft carry case" which is just a zippered flip top bag of sorts. This won't spend much time stored so neatly so that's one of the first things to go away......

Everything included with the kit, shown separtely:

Tool, 2 batteries, charger, 2" Roloc disc chuck, 3" Stick-It pad, 1 cotton polishing bonnet, 2 different sponge pads & side handle.

Roloc & Stick-It arbors:

Not yet had a chance to actually use this but initially it's very comfortable, seems just powerful enough for its intended duties which is "light corrosion removal" according to 3M's site about the Roloc system. It will be replacing a larger much more powerful (overkill) 120 VAC corded variable speed Milwaukee grinder.

Its physical size and "light" use will make surface preparation easier and faster along with being infinitely more convenient to drag around in the tool bag.

I'll put this into action beginning today and over the next few days too---if interest is high enough I'll post follow ups. Otherwise I say this is a great tool for its intended use and well worthy of checking out if its something that looks potentially useful.
Old 10-02-2014, 11:49 PM   #4

i think the Milwaukee M12 series are the most under-rated tools out there. Any bigger job, I use corded, much smaller and fit in smaller spaces than the 18v.

Most of our mechanics at work use them when there pneumatics don't fit.

Great warranty to boot.
Waterski02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 04:26 AM   #5
JWA

WaterSki I'm not sure what brand is rated any higher than Milwaukee for quality and longevity---I own nothing but and have never been disappointed by them in general, never had one fail on me during a job.

The cheaper brands are probably more "reviewed" due their sheer number in use but that's pretty meaningless to me. FWIW I consider DeWalt one of those cheaper brands, have seen very little real-life experience with them being as stout as Milwaukee. Before we lapse into a tool war about that this is just my personal experience and nothing will sway me, not even "everyone" else saying their DW tools are the best.

I've replaced a few of the older Milwaukee NiCad 12 volt tools with the M12 series and power-wise I've not lost a thing. They're very strong, often times surprising even me with what they can do. Battery run time is pretty amazing too but in all fairness most any Li-Ion system these days is very impressive in that way.

This little grinder/polisher will find its way into a lot of tasks bigger tools just as WaterSki says---I see it as a cordless replacement for the more common pneumatic Roloc tools that have been with us a long long time.

The downside to this tool is finding the right discs and pads without breaking the bank. Cruising eBay prices and selection is wide-ranging, takes a while to sort it all out.
Old 10-06-2014, 03:54 AM   #6

Nice review! i would totally buy one except all my tools are makita. I'm sure they will make there own version sooner or later.
koontek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 04:18 AM   #7
JWA

Good point Koontek---what we already have might be a decision maker for such a tool.

With the incredibly great luck---for lack of a better word---I've had with Milwaukee since the early 90's I don't own anything else, corded or cordless. Well, not counting my refuses-to-die Bosh 1271 VS jig saw and a Delta 12" laser-guided power miter saw everything else is all red. Whoops--forgot my Porter Cable router and a few small RA sanders---but everything else pure Milwaukee.

Not sure when this particular tool was released but I think within the past 4-5 months? Certainly other brands will follow as well. Adding another brand of cordless tools gets costly, that I know. With Milwaukee and their M12 system I only need add their bare tools, I'm already over-stocked on batteries and chargers.