Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-04-2012, 12:02 AM   #41

Re: new project, like i needed another

It's sacrilege, but WTFWJD is about the funniest thing i've read in a long time! I'm gonna wake my wife up laughing. The van is looking great. Your fridge cabinet idea with the overhang over the seat for kind of a 'desk' is exactly what i was going to do, but i revised it in the end and put my fridge further back. I've never seen it done, i like it.
Also, i love your top. I have talked to Derek already and what you've done in my extended van is exactly what i want to do, but so hard to make it happen since i live in Tn. Not sure how i'm gonna cross that bridge yet.
Can you show or tell how you did your propane setup for your Propex heater? I've got to come up with a heating solution and i think that's probably it, but i'm hesitant to do the big hole in the side of my van, typical setup. I'd like to keep the van body intact. What did you do?
Thanks

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 06:17 PM   #42

i like that the propex exhaust out the bottom instead of the side, no hole cut into body. I went ultra simple for my propane set up since i wanted it easy to board ferry's or tunnels or what have you that have restrictions on propane. i have a 2 small (10lb i think) propane BBQ tanks that mount on top of the heater cabinet and get strapped down. and a simple hose run to them just like a BBQ. i then have the option of using the small disposable green cans in case of emergency as well with this set up. i dont drive with the hose connected but it should be fine. simple and i dont have to have propane on board every day, just when i head out to camp.

i can take some pics if you want
coguzzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 06:32 PM   #43

Thanks, that's a pretty good way to do it. I'd love to see some pics of it whenever it's convenient to take them. I was actually meaning the big rectangular hole in the body people cut for underneath-mounted propane tank access. That's what i want to avoid. What you're describing sounds simple and ideal since sometimes you don't even need or want propane onboard.
Old 02-05-2012, 11:21 AM   #44
rnj

I mounted a 30lb horizontal propane tank between the receiver & generator behind the rear axle as I didn't want to cut a hole either and wanted a removeable tank I could remove to fill and not have to drive the van. SMB cut out the spare tire carrier to mount the generator and cut the brackets flush to the frame rails I made some angle brackets out of 1/4" steel stock bolted to the remaining piece of the brackets and then 3 ~12" pieces bent to bolt to the tank. I slide the tank under the van then rest it on my knees and angle it to get it in and out. My van van is 2wd so I don't have to raise as much as would be needed for 4wd. This was a recent project so I've only put it in and out a few of times empty while figuring it out and full tank once or twice - I haven't refilled it yet but it's not too hard to get in & out. I just tried taking pictures but it's too bright outside and getting lot's of washout. I'll try to take pics again later after sun starts to set.
Hankook Dynapro ATs 225/75-16 LRE
New to me 10/2008 - 2nd owner
rnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 02:21 PM   #45

I've never seen that style dash in blue!
ujointoffroad.com
UJOINT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 04:18 PM   #46

ill trade you for a grey interior! i seem to be cursed with blue interiors over the years, i could use a change--haha.

here is a pic of my propane set up

and exhaust routing since i never posted one

im gonna slide my extremeaire compressor in that spot one of these days when it warms up and i feel like laying on the ground
Old 02-05-2012, 06:46 PM   #47
rnj

Thanks for the pics of the intake & exhaust routing. As I mentioned in my PM that is a location I'm considering also. I uploaded the pictures of my propane tank to my gallery, didn't want to hijack your thread, thought about putting in projects thread, decided to put in my gallery for now.

Just FYI, when considering the location for my tank I happen to have a roadtrek brochure which included a CD showing clips of some of their installations and this was where they located their tanks. A 30# horizontal tank is 12" dia & 6.8 gal, SMB tank is 10" dia & 7.9 gal which would fit alot better along the sides.

Randy
Hankook Dynapro ATs 225/75-16 LRE
New to me 10/2008 - 2nd owner
rnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 03:56 PM   #48

VAN-tastic day on the mountain today, had consistant snows recently and found alot of deep untracked powder today, one of the reasons i built this van in the first place

Old 04-01-2012, 08:16 PM   #49

with the warm weather i figured it was time i switch to moto mode. turned my single 2" receiver into a much more solid 3 point--its rock solid steady now. i was always worried before. also installed the awning and side ladder since heavy snow season should be over (i just jinxed it didnt i?). im getting there
Old 04-01-2012, 09:14 PM   #50

new project, like i needed another

Nice, good lookin KTM. I sure miss mine.