Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-24-2022, 06:20 PM   #1

NOT my idea, Floor system Ford E-Series

I am working on a floor system to utilize L-Track for quickly and easily mounting cabinets and gear, since I am not an engineer I do not plan to mount any seats/seat belts to the floor I am making. The idea is from what I have seen from a member on this forum, MGmetalworks. Without his idea/design mine would not exist.

The system I am working on is a total of three panels, two longer narrow panels in the rear and one shorter, wider panel towards the front just behind the driver and passenger seats.

A total of 6 pieces of L-track running from side to side covering the majority of the van floor. The steel panels will have weld nuts on the underneath to hold the L-track in place and be placed where the ribs in the floor are so there is clearance for the weld nuts. The panels will be mounted to the van using the factory bench seat bolt holes.

Below is a picture of the cad design I made for the two rear panels, the light yellow color indicating where four of the pieces of L-Track will be placed.

If any one has recommendations or suggestions on thickness of steel, as well as other recommendations or suggestions any input would be greatly appreciated. Once I cut the panels out of steel, there's no going back
Attached Thumbnails
Floor Design 01.24.2022.png  

Wisco150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 08:09 AM   #2

I made mine out of 3/16” steel. It might be overkill but it is very sturdy and secure. I made mine in 4 panels with 4 lengths of L-track running lengthwise in the van. Mine also bolts down to the stock bench seat mounts.
Attached Thumbnails
50D39A6C-7660-423B-B8D9-B015118A707B.jpg   59B5FBEE-6C04-4D56-A6D7-0DD64123A5E6.jpg   725FDE07-06CA-4627-8AD5-BADD58B0C6BF.jpg  
mothgils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 09:48 AM   #3

Mothgils, that looks awesome! Nice work! 3/16” is what I was thinking, no real rhyme or reason for why I was planning to use 3/16 other than it seemed liked it would be more than robust but not so heavy. Did you weld steel nuts to the underneath side of the steel plates for mounting the L track?
Old 01-28-2022, 11:13 AM   #4

Man...I gotta stop posting pictures of my stuff.

weld nuts, mcmaster, easy. Just make sure you have the plate facing the right direction when you weld the nuts down. I'm not saying that I welded dozens of nuts down to the wrong side of plate before and had to grind them all off...I'm saying that it could happen if you aren't careful.

mgmetalworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 06:08 PM   #5

Haha thank you for the tip! Mgmetalworks, your work is outstanding and really an inspiration with the quality and attention to detail in your work
Old 01-29-2022, 08:24 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmetalworks View Post
Man...I gotta stop posting pictures of my stuff.

weld nuts, mcmaster, easy. Just make sure you have the plate facing the right direction when you weld the nuts down. I'm not saying that I welded dozens of nuts down to the wrong side of plate before and had to grind them all off...I'm saying that it could happen if you aren't careful.

MG..it's a great idea. Imitation is the highest form of flattery. To be honest, I saw it from Gregor's build thread for his van that you did work on.
It was a tedious job to complete. I made many cardboard templates prior to laser cutting my steel pieces. I am sure ours are different.
Old 01-29-2022, 08:26 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisco150 View Post
Mothgils, that looks awesome! Nice work! 3/16” is what I was thinking, no real rhyme or reason for why I was planning to use 3/16 other than it seemed liked it would be more than robust but not so heavy. Did you weld steel nuts to the underneath side of the steel plates for mounting the L track?

3/16" is a good solid base that I felt wouldn't be too heavy (like 1/4") and could still retain rigidity.

I didn't use weld nuts. I am not a fan of them. At my shop we use all PEM fasteners. They are press in nuts. I used my 90 ton press brake to press them in on the bottom side.
https://www.pemnet.com/