Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-19-2020, 03:20 PM   #1

Old guy starting a new build - Advice needed

Man I just wrote for 20 minutes only to find I wasn't logged in or something and the whole enchilada got lost. Damn it.

Just bought an 05' SB Quigley with SMB pop top with 49,000 miles on the 5.4. Van is mint, was in storage and I bought it off a friend who got divorced. He never built out the interior so I'm going to give it a go. Wife and I pretty much like the SMB 50 layout but was hoping somebody would chime in and head us off at the pass if there are pieces of advice that would help us not make mistakes.

Has anyone seen, have pictures of or heard of a couch that folds forward whereby the back of the seat once folded forward would act as a raised portion of the bed allowing the rear "fixed" part of the bed to be higher than SMB's for more storage below? I want a clean build out and thus a nice bench couch like SMB's.

Also like to have our bed a bit shorter and with thinner cabinets for more elbow room. This would allow more room in front of the sink for standing while not bumping into the couch. Other than that the 50 layout is kinda nice..

We'd like to add a solar panel to the SMB Penthouse but does the gland where the wires go through go outside or inside the SMB tent fabric?

And is the Norcold NR751BB at 76l large enough for two people for most folks?

Hoping to see some pics of a well designed layout for two people for me to mimic, hoping you folks can assist or direct.

Brian/Bozeman MT

BOZEMANGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 03:53 PM   #2

Might not give you the height you want but this is the holy grail:

https://www.travoisusa.com/products/...tair-pre-order
thejm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 04:40 PM   #3

Ha ha, thats exactly 1/2 of what I just paid for the entire van, 4x4, and pop top. 5k for a seat.....?
Old 02-19-2020, 05:16 PM   #4

I would contact MGMetalWorks on here and look at some of his builds. He has some pretty nice stuff and can likely point you in the right direction. Most of the bed/couch combos I have seen are all the same. You can just create a base for them to sit on if you need them higher. The travois is the only one I have seen that starts off higher, but the price is pretty insane. You could also mount a gaucho bed facing forward. Like this one: https://rbcomponents.com/collections...charcoal-cloth Just build out a pad behind it. Only problem is that its not crash tested. May or may not be an issue for you.

The wiring is usually on the inside of the fabric, but there may not be a hole for it to go through onto the outside of the roof.

I have that fridge and it's plenty. But it depends on how much you eat and how long you go between filling up the fridge.
Grampswrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 06:43 PM   #5

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOZEMANGUY View Post
Ha ha, thats exactly 1/2 of what I just paid for the entire van, 4x4, and pop top. 5k for a seat.....?
Good part is it sounds like you finagled a great deal already. You'll never really "finish" your build - once you get to a comfortable point, someone here introduces a new or nifty alternative that catches your attention.... Just embrace the pride & excitement that develops with your progress and hide all the receipts. Welcome!
Old 02-19-2020, 08:27 PM   #6

You paid $10k for a Quigley with PH AND 50,000 miles? Wow. Deal of the decade right there.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 06:46 PM   #7

Ya, pretty excited to start ordering the goodies for it. Just wondering, it appears that Aluminess is most highly spoken of here for bumpers, is there any other game to consider? Thanks
Old 02-20-2020, 09:24 PM   #8

Aluminess will be close to half what you paid for the van too.
SteelheadJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 01:47 PM   #9

I recently stumbled onto a web sit for MOVE Bumpers, they have stuff for vans. But you have to be able to weld!
Megalovon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 02:38 PM   #10

Garage
Other than the obvious weight saving using Aluminess, the benefit is they never rust.