Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-27-2020, 10:55 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibo View Post
Say, where did you get that purple net on the front side of the seat frame? Was it custom made?
I had a ceiling net made by these guys:
https://raingler.com/?gclid=CNqYusyP8cECFcFDMgodkQUAxg

They'll make it any size needed and it's quality!

Phil

SMB West motorized penthouse
Underfloor Aluminum storage box from northleftcoast
Aluminess Bumper-Mount Spare Tire Rack

Passenger & Driver swivel seat bases
Kenwood DNX572BH Navigation/DVD/CD Receiver
SilverForkPhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 11:54 AM   #22

BOZEMANGUY- "Going to hang on to the F250 6.7 w/ FWC"

I have been thinking of a F250 with a FWC Wondering about your experience.
Gas or Diesel for FWC;
250 Standard, Super Cab or Crew Cab;
6 3/4 foot vs 8 foot bed?
Do you have the Hawk or the Grandby, flat bed or slide in?
Read is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 05:07 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by REF View Post
Just rebuilt my interior, the wall panels are a tricky endeavor if you don’t have the original SMB ones for a template. Otherwise, take some large sheet construction paper, tape it up and trace the curves. Get some sheets of 1/4” ply, grab a roll of 1/8” foam backing material, some spray adhesive and pick out a fabric to cover it all with.
Here’s my build, I documented the steps somewhere along the way on the wall panels.

My big fat interior (re)build
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/top...ink_source=app
Pictures are not working for me!
RememberTheFallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 05:19 PM   #24

Thanks REF, I'll have a look, sure would be nice to have the templates. I just built a Ron Paulk workbench and put a Rockler lift in it for my router. Had to make the templates for the horses for the bench and the lift came with one. Nice when they are available, but not a deal killer. Thanks again
BOZEMANGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 05:21 PM   #25

New old guy doing DYI

Ya, another member here said any higher than SMB height and his 6'2" frame would cause his head to hit. Hmmm decisions now to maybe go "walk through" to gain some storage height in the rear and access to the "basement"

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhally View Post
We have the RB Components type with a steel frame. There is 15" clear under. Problem is the seat is too high for comfortable sitting. Upside is massive storage and the portapottie fits under.
Old 02-27-2020, 05:38 PM   #26

I have a 2012 F-250 SuperCab 6 1/2' bed with a Hawk. My pick up is the last year they made manual hubs and manual transfer case for the F-250 so its a GEM! 6.7 diesel is quiet, smooth and NASCAR powerful. Fuel economy is 15 average with the camper on. Almost never take it off. The rig handles like its on rails, you don't feel the camper at all, braking and acceleration is top knotch, the vehicle feels "planted" on and off road vs. the 5.9 Dodge I had before (2007). The seats are cloth and super comfortable and supportive. Why am I building a van???
The reason I went with the cab.5 vs crew and 6.5' bed vs 8' is I really do four wheel the rig and get into deep snowy parking lots and sketchy dead end places for climbing ice and rock. I like the turning radius. The Hawk is plenty big, has a king size memory foam bed, propex furnace, ARB fridge, and a sink. The 8' Grandby is no doubt roomier. I guess if I'd try another truck camper I'd go SuperCab and 8' and go Grandby. But a loaded one now is 35k to almost 40K. A used truck like mine with a 6.7 and low miles (64k on mine) is going to be 30k to 35k. The only downside to the pickup camper is going down the road there is no laying down or wrestling on the floor with the dog for my wife. Also exiting and entering the camper is a bit more athletic than a van, think walking backwards down two steps and making a umph move to get in while a wee bit crowched forward as to not hit your head on the door header getting in. We're going to hang on to the pick up and camper until the van is done and see if we like it more. I haul a dirtbike for BDR's on a VersaHaul and that is a real pain trying to get in and out with the bike on the back, but my wife is never with me with the VersaHaul on so I make it happen. We also have a raft for whitewater and fishing and the tonge is a bit of an obstacle back there, but not bad if you either park a bit cocked or detach the aluminum trailer/raft. Hope that helps. The new F-250's are per luxury, flickable vs Chevy and tight and quiet vs Dodge. And very very expensive.
Old 03-08-2020, 12:05 PM   #27

Not super sure here about double posting but I just posted some observations and questions in the 4x4 section, perhaps I should have just continued here.

Bottom line is I just drove my new van home from Wisconsin to Montana and am now contemplating if I even want to keep it. Looking for some help or advice from others who are in the know, who are older, and can offer up some sage advice.

I guess if I had unlimited budget I'd go with the Agile TTB as it appears to offer both the best ride quality and lowest height for adequate off road riding. Makes me think of the choices to go Chevy vs Ford when I bought my 12' F-250 6.7. My concern is going too far down the rabbit hole and not being pleased with the suspension and drivability on this 5.4 gasser SB. I fully understand that my stock Quigley suspension is most likely 14 years old, shocks and stabilizer either shot or not adequately functioning. But, I must be smashing into the bump stops on any dip in the road, getting a jarring hit to the front end on just about any straight on crack or expansion joint, and horrible dog tracking on washboard. It's already towering high IMO compared to my stock F-250 so lifting it more to get it off the bump stops I'd be uneasy about, especially if I want to put on slightly larger tires vs the 265's on it now. If I RIP it, I'll need larger tires just not to look like a gaper... ha ha. If I go larger tires I'm wondering how much torque is lost because with the 265's and a 5.4 I'd not want to lose an ounce of power. With the 3;73's I'm at 2,000 rpm'ish at 70. Deep in to the pedal at 8 mpg with a stiff headwind out on the Dakota Plains at 70. Messed with the Tow/Haul button but not unhappy with the power, it does the job but I'd say just barely. Throwing larger tires might send it over the tipping point. Love my quiet and effiecient 6.7. And POWER!!
Old 03-17-2020, 03:35 PM   #28

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibo View Post
Say, where did you get that purple net on the front side of the seat frame? Was it custom made?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWA View Post
Yeah--I'm wondering the same thing---could use something similar my own self.
Strapworks.com they do custom parts, very reasonable. I used footman loops to attach and cam buckles.

They made the webbing too short to tighten the cam straps the first time, but fixed it for free.
Attached Thumbnails
011.jpg  
Old 04-27-2020, 09:30 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOZEMANGUY View Post
Not super sure here about double posting but I just posted some observations and questions in the 4x4 section, perhaps I should have just continued here.

Bottom line is I just drove my new van home from Wisconsin to Montana and am now contemplating if I even want to keep it. Looking for some help or advice from others who are in the know, who are older, and can offer up some sage advice.

I guess if I had unlimited budget I'd go with the Agile TTB as it appears to offer both the best ride quality and lowest height for adequate off road riding. Makes me think of the choices to go Chevy vs Ford when I bought my 12' F-250 6.7. My concern is going too far down the rabbit hole and not being pleased with the suspension and drivability on this 5.4 gasser SB. I fully understand that my stock Quigley suspension is most likely 14 years old, shocks and stabilizer either shot or not adequately functioning. But, I must be smashing into the bump stops on any dip in the road, getting a jarring hit to the front end on just about any straight on crack or expansion joint, and horrible dog tracking on washboard. It's already towering high IMO compared to my stock F-250 so lifting it more to get it off the bump stops I'd be uneasy about, especially if I want to put on slightly larger tires vs the 265's on it now. If I RIP it, I'll need larger tires just not to look like a gaper... ha ha. If I go larger tires I'm wondering how much torque is lost because with the 265's and a 5.4 I'd not want to lose an ounce of power. With the 3;73's I'm at 2,000 rpm'ish at 70. Deep in to the pedal at 8 mpg with a stiff headwind out on the Dakota Plains at 70. Messed with the Tow/Haul button but not unhappy with the power, it does the job but I'd say just barely. Throwing larger tires might send it over the tipping point. Love my quiet and effiecient 6.7. And POWER!!
My van is 3.73 (2wd), recently moved up to 265 tire size and there was a noticeable acceleration/speed difference (not in a good way). Also dropped my MPG even further than stock tires. Ujoint also does "dequiglification" that I've heard good things about. Sounds like the rough ride of quigley's is pretty common. All that being said.... if you're looking to part with your new-found van, let this forum know. You'll likely have some interest.
nyyankees588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 08:14 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyyankees588 View Post
My van is 3.73 (2wd), recently moved up to 265 tire size and there was a noticeable acceleration/speed difference (not in a good way). Also dropped my MPG even further than stock tires. Ujoint also does "dequiglification" that I've heard good things about. Sounds like the rough ride of quigley's is pretty common. All that being said.... if you're looking to part with your new-found van, let this forum know. You'll likely have some interest.
In my experience, older Ford vans were not really designed with current highway speeds in mind and fuel economy will drop substantially the faster one wants to go. Ages ago, I had a E150 conversion van with a 5.0 V8 and at 60 MPH it would get in the mid-upper teens. While it could easily bury the 85 MPH speedometer if desired, I could practically watch the fuel gauge needle move when doing it.

Aero and wind resistance will also play a roll. Larger tires will not only increase the rolling resistance, but also increase the height of the van and thus the aero resistance. A double whammy.

My current 1992 E350 has a 7.3 IDI and the previous owner reported mileage around 20, but he kept the speed down to a level the van was designed for - which was rarely more than 55-65 MPH back in 1992.

If I do end up keeping my van, traveling anywhere quickly will not be on the agenda.
IanF is offline   Reply With Quote