Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 07-06-2014, 06:46 AM   #1

One Piece Window Kit For Gen.3, E-250?

Hey ya'll,
Can anyone surprise me with info on an aftermarket one piece window kit for 3rd Gen. E-250?

I spent some time searching the net & found a handful of companies companies who produce kits for F- Series trucks & other vintage cars. I even called the place in Whittier to confirm that the F-Series kit can't be cross-fitted unlike many other compatible parts which is pretty lame considering how close the body styles really are.

Hate is a strong word to use, however I hate the wing windows more than wet toilet paper & IMO is the weakest point of security on the van or any vehicle equipped with them dang wing windows for that matter, especially when passing through or spending any duration of time in metro areas. I don't think it's necessary to point out but one piece glass is much more of a deterrent than having that little wing window to nonchalantly bust out & gain access to the door handle & lock.

I searched for past postings on this subject but nothing came up so here's my first post, seems worthy enough for me.

Thanks in advance from da' Moo-Dat Nation!

Old 07-07-2014, 12:48 AM   #2

Re: One Piece Window Kit For Gen.3, E-250?

Hallo! Bueller? Bueller? Bueller? Hallo!
Old 07-07-2014, 04:17 AM   #3
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA

Sadly the larger single window versions are no less a deterrent to smash & grab thieves than any other glass configuration. My post '02 E250's have been hit twice and not once was any glass broken. Just as sad most vans are ridiculously simple to break into, often with little or no noise.

I'm in the auto/truck glass biz and having once done a vent glass delete on an early '70's Chevy pick up its quite a project. Lots of metal work inside the door shell, custom cut and tempered new glass that is not up to FMVSS standards.

We need to better understand the mindset of criminals and adjust our actions towards discouraging theft. Visible indication of activated on-board alarms, complete removal or hiding of high value, small hand-held devices tend to reduce break-ins. Such steps are by no means the only way to better secure our vans but for the most part if something can't be easily seen from the outside typically has crooks looking for easier targets.
Old 07-07-2014, 02:11 PM   #4

Thanks for your reply J,
I'm perfectly aware that if someone wants in not much is going to stop them, working short of gun powder that is, however it IS a deterrent in my mind to some degree so that's what matters to me. Personally I would rather break a wing window in some locations more than others so it is all relative. Like I said, I HATE the wing windows, it's just that simple so in your opinion it isn't a deterrent, in mine it is but I think we can both agree that one piece glass is just better looking aesthetically, or as I would say it " Mo' betta' ". Heck, I know I could get into my Gen.3 E-250 with a coat hanger & be silent as a ninja but again that would again depend on where I choose to leave my rig.

I don't leave anything in plain sight & when I do roll out in my rig, I put up the sun screens on every window when I park or leave for any length of time. My best deterrent is that my rig looks old on the outside. However the 1/4 wave antenna is kinda obvious there's goodies inside, infrared back up camera is another give-away to the detailed eye thief & that's part of what defines a good thief in THAT respect. The rest of the bolt on goodies confirms that the owner takes pride in what he has & is conscientious of what quality is.

Mindset of a thief is opportunity...By removing some of that appeal there may just be better=easier pickings for them to choose from at that time near by as you have reiterated. I have never had a rig stolen, broken into or anything stolen from the outside since I legally started driving 31 years ago, I dunno maybe it's automotive karma, I never really gave it much thought until now although someone stole my big wheel off my front lawn when I was 3. I would like to attribute this to having an accelerated amount of common sense & heightened awareness, basically I pay attention & to survive you/ me/ we must think like the enemy. I.E. How would I do this, given each individual relative situation?

Back to the wing window, I may just get crazy & cut some diamond plate & cover them up since I can't get one piece glass.

For those not knowing me, I offer this as insight to how much I'm actually out there on the road... I've clocked more miles than the average American in or on a vehicle. Been cost to coast 8 times, two of those on Harley & Buell, one up & solo, crossed Texas 4 times, which is 4 more times than I would ever like to (nothing against Texas) but it's a 2 day trip. I'm a motorized gypsy & have driven from Milan to Florence at night in December. Lived in New Zealand for a summer which is their winter (when I was a snow chaser), wrong side of the road driving. Have lived in Norway for 4 years plenty of ice driving without ever obtaining a proper Norwegian license (ice driving endorsement required). Living in Tahoe, Mammoth & CO prepared me well enough for the great white north. No wrecked vehicles, only a couple speeding tickets & never a theft or the likes of.

I only wanted info on one piece glass since I know they produce it for other vehicles. I didn't expect to be addressed as a noob or knob given my skill set, where I've been in the world & how I got there. Though not offended, I think it a large assumption to come at people as if they're completely clueless. I might be stupid but I ain't no fool! I know how to get into a car without a key too.
Old 07-08-2014, 04:39 AM   #5
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyGumbo

I only wanted info on one piece glass since I know they produce it for other vehicles. I didn't expect to be addressed as a noob or knob given my skill set, where I've been in the world & how I got there. Though not offended, I think it a large assumption to come at people as if they're completely clueless. I might be stupid but I ain't no fool! I know how to get into a car without a key too.
Oh, good gravy----a bit over-thinking and assuming you're being diss'ed aren't we?

The info I provided was based mostly upon my first observation you're new to SMB, had one or two posts total before the above partially quoted reply. My intention was NOT to treat you as a knob, a noob or anything else---it was simply providing my input, observation, experience and yes a bit of opinion, also informed by experience with having been ripped off. With a whopping two whole posts before I did reply its kinda hard knowing what someone's skill set is or is not---okay?

Accept it for what it was, don't be so thin-skinned to so quickly think intended helpful comments were anything else.

Your travel exploits are impressive but of course none of that was known before my input and for the most part it's also irrelevant to your asking about eliminating vent glass assemblies in pre-1992 E-Series vans.

Thanks for dropping by----
Old 07-08-2014, 09:19 AM   #6

Location: Rancho Nuevo (Cabo/Todos Santos) B.C.S. and San Diego, CA

Sorry to say, there is nothing readily available; someone on here did a lot of searching and came up with nothing.

The diamond plate sounds like a perfect solution for you...

AgileOffRoad.com
Old 07-11-2014, 12:14 PM   #7

Thanks for the reply Baja,
I only wanted to confirm availability from others who most likely have also done some searching. No biggie to me, I can come up with a less expensive solution which suits my needs.

I've learned from dealing with forums in the past that there are mainly 2 types of folk, those who can offer information & those who like to hear themselves talk.

Thanks for the information!
Old 07-11-2014, 01:54 PM   #8

Quote:
there are mainly 2 types of folk, those who can offer information & those who like to hear themselves talk.
And there are those who politely introduce themselves into a community, don't expect instant feedback, and graciously accept the free advice they receive...
Old 07-11-2014, 02:32 PM   #9

Obviously you chimed in late so let me give you the Howard Cosell. I intro'ed & asked a simple question. I didn't sign up for the father son lecture on how not to get my rig busted into, alright. Seems a bit redundant, condescending & unnecessary to me but if you wanna Mob up then let's do this thing pal.... Taking all comers!
I ain't your kid so don't insult my intelligence & forget that by speaking to me like I'm one of yours.
I appreciate information I can use so if you're gonna tell me something then tell me something I don't already know.
This is an A/B conversation VW, so why don't you C yourself out of it, you can put your cape away now Super Hero, GEEZ.
Old 07-11-2014, 02:44 PM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Obviously you chimed in late so let me give you the Howard Cosell. I intro'ed & asked a simple question. I didn't sign up for the father son lecture on how not to get my rig busted into, alright. Seems a bit redundant, condescending & unnecessary to me but if you wanna Mob up then let's do this thing pal....
I ain't your kid so don't insult my intelligence & forget that by speaking to me like I'm one of yours.
I appreciate information I can use so if you're gonna tell me something then tell me something I don't already know.
This is an A/B conversation VW why don't you C yourself out of it, you can put your cape away now.
Look, quite frankly you're really coming across as an arrogant new guy. You made an introductory post, then not long afterward you made a passive-aggressive second post because people didn't answer your question right away. Then in your third post, you make a statement of "For those not knowing me..." and proceed to tell us all about your driving experience. Well guess what? We don't know you, so don't expect us to.

In my opinion, this is the most welcoming and accepting forums that I've ever belonged to, and because of that I continue to belong to it, contribute to it, and be one of the admins of this forum even after I sold my Sportsmobile years ago.

A certain level of respect is given to everyone who joins. Beyond that additional respect is earned.

Herb