Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-08-2017, 05:04 AM   #11

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallDee View Post
Very nice images and report. I really like the factory low rider look of the van. Looks like a pleasure to drive.

I made that trip from Portland myself a few years back when Ramsey was still around. Joshua Tree was my favorite stop. Yosemite was too crowded for me but, beautiful none the less.

Congrats! Looks great.
Thanks a lot! I'm really happy with the lift. It's easy on the knees.

Wish I could have managed to see Joshua Tree too. I guess we'll just have to plan another trip down that way. Lots to see in California!

Old 05-08-2017, 06:24 AM   #12

Love the folks at Agile and keep hearing great news on their work. Great job Otter, great report and looking forward to more beautiful shots.
EmMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 08:40 AM   #13

Great pics and story. I love the handsome near-factory look of your van. It's one of the few with factory hubcaps that just seems to work. Not sure if you plan on changing or blinging out the appearance as most inevitably do but I vote for it to stay. Looks awesome.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 08:43 AM   #14

Garage
She already bought new wheels... But I agree with how good it looks, this is how they should have come from Ford...

Google Sled Hockey - You won't be disappointed.
Jsweezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 10:53 AM   #15

Send a message via AIM to illking
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otter View Post
Planning on the good stuff: Yosemite and the possibility of getting lost (Garmin)
Great report. I just got my van back from Agile as well and had a great experience.

How do you like the Garmin Inreach? I currently have a SPOT and Garmin 62s for dirt biking and hiking. Im thinking about selling both and carrying only one device. Id love to hear your opinion on it.
illking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 03:21 PM   #16

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmMay View Post
Love the folks at Agile and keep hearing great news on their work. Great job Otter, great report and looking forward to more beautiful shots.
Thanks, EmMay! Lots of adventures yet to do and pictures to make.
Old 05-08-2017, 03:26 PM   #17

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty View Post
Great pics and story. I love the handsome near-factory look of your van. It's one of the few with factory hubcaps that just seems to work. Not sure if you plan on changing or blinging out the appearance as most inevitably do but I vote for it to stay. Looks awesome.

Ya know, I kinda like it, too. But I already broke down and got some new 17" wheels. Just waiting for the kitty to fill up a bit to get the tires. Hope I'll like the new ones as much or more.
Old 05-08-2017, 03:51 PM   #18

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by illking View Post
Great report. I just got my van back from Agile as well and had a great experience.

How do you like the Garmin Inreach? I currently have a SPOT and Garmin 62s for dirt biking and hiking. Im thinking about selling both and carrying only one device. Id love to hear your opinion on it.
Glad for you and your Agile!

I got the Garmin mostly for the safety factor. I was by myself in some pretty out of the way places with no cell service, so I wanted to be able to summon help if I needed it. Also, I like having the messaging ability when out of cell range.

Sending messages was slightly cumbersome, tho, and, one night in Yosemite, I just gave up on that. Standing outside in the freezing cold waiting for it to engage with a satellite just wasn't fun. Maybe it was just that night, but I didn't try it again. I'll have to mess with it some more.

What was really cool, tho, was the tracking. It uses very little battery and sends your location and other info every ten minutes (or whatever interval you set) to a map you can share with whoever by an email link it sends. It can also post to Facebook, which I did, and that was great fun for me and all my map-nerd friends. But, again, it was mostly a safety factor for me. I figured if I went off the road into a deep ditch, somebody would know where to look... if only for my body

That feature worked much better than I expected. I hung it from the rear view mirror where it had a clear view of the sky. It was really interesting later to see exactly where I was on the map, the altitude, how fast I was moving, etc.

I'm still learning how to best use the features, but I can already see that the waypoint function is stellar. If nothing else, you can always use the tracking feature to get un-lost and back to your base. And that's a lot more important than just amusing your friends on Facebook.

I was looking at satellite phones when I decided to go the Garmin InReach Explorer route. I've spent a lot of time in the backcountry and wished I had the peace of mind that just the SOS button gives me. It's hooked up to the GEOS people who will send out the SAR folks if you press that button and are too disabled to answer their query. That's worth a ton to me. If you can answer, you have the ability to get whatever kind of emergency help you need.
Old 05-08-2017, 04:32 PM   #19

Send a message via AIM to illking
Yah i love the SPOT when riding remote areas and to let my wife know im safe. I think im more interested in how well the gps mapping works on the Garmin inreach
illking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 02:18 PM   #20

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by illking View Post
Yah i love the SPOT when riding remote areas and to let my wife know im safe. I think im more interested in how well the gps mapping works on the Garmin inreach
Worked stellar for me.