Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-07-2009, 04:14 PM   #11

Re: Our Floor Plan, ..... What Do you think?

We have a ShadyBoy awning that has been installed on our '89 VW Westy for the past few years, and that we will be putting on the new E350 (hopefully in the next week or so).

It has been great, and is very easy to set up. It is supported by five fibreglass stays that project out from the van in a radial fashion. Downdrafts are usually not a problem, but there are two aluminum corner posts that project down to the ground in case winds are strong. Updrafts ARE a problem if the cable stays are not installed, either to stakes in the ground or diagonally back to the lower edge of the van.

I will post some photos when we have it reinstalled, or if I can find some old photos of the Westy.

Brent

Old 07-07-2009, 11:11 PM   #12

Garage
Send a message via AIM to mmocken

SMB sells a pad for the front seat. ... I don't need it as I swapped the SMB seats with a stow-in-go's from a Caravan. I use an inflatable matress across both seats and a spacer between the seats's for the gap

Here is SMB's

==================================

My layout is similar to EB19. Kids love the dinettte and being able to lay down while belted

--->
Marty's 'BearsMobile'

1995 Dodge SMB EB-20 + modified for shower in back, PH Microlite Starcool. 130k miles young!
https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/alb...a37caeae3a.jpg
mmocken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 05:24 PM   #13

On the front seat swivel I'm not sure what is possible, you might make a new post: "Does anyone turn the driver's seat all the way around?" or something to see if we can find out.

Quote:
Two 4D's can be mounted under the vehicle where the spare tire usually resides, though you then give up the underfloor storage.
That's only for the RB, I have the EB, XL underfloor and room for 2 4D batteries (why SMB added the second one inside I'll never know)

Can you make the gaucho a 50 style bench but across the van, so that if you pull up and out it will fold back flat? You may be able to make use of that area behind the gaucho, or even move the gaucho up so it lands in the same place.

Oh and none of the pole tables are not mounted into the floor anymore. SMB provides a try leg that works well in or out of the van. It's nice because we can pull it up to the passenger chair or back to the couch as needed, or even use it outside (which we haven't had cause to). The top stores under the counch on ours, but SMB can pretty much make one any size depending on where you want to store (up against a wall, under something, in a cabinet door)
Old 07-09-2009, 02:20 AM   #14

As promised, here are some photos our ShadyBoy awning. I've removed it from our Westfalia and will have it installed on our E350.

It's relatively small and light. About four feet long when closed, but it extends to about ten feet long when open.

Brent
Old 07-09-2009, 02:26 AM   #15

Here are a few of the ShadyBoy while still on the Westy.

Closed up, you can see the length.

Deployed, it extends up over the front door and an equal distance to the back.

Here it is with the aluminum poles extending to the ground (preventing downdrafts), and the tent cords extending diagonally back to the van (preventing updrafts). It was windy (and hot) here.

Brent
Old 07-09-2009, 04:24 PM   #16
Site Team

Garage

Would there be a way to use it on the back of the van or does it need something sturdy to clamp to?

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 04:38 PM   #17

daveb - I assume you're asking about the ShadyBoy (this thread has kinda gone off the rails!).

The ShadyBoy can be installed on the rear of a van. The owner of GTRV showed me photos of a previous van of his with two ShadyBoys installed: one over the side doors and one over the rear doors. Both were installed directly to the van, not on the PH.

The awning attaches via two simple angle brackets with three self-tapping screws each screwed directly into the sheet metal. I think the only way this works is due to the relatively light weight of the awning. Two half-inch Allen bolts are all that connect the awning to the brackets.

It's a cool concept - a rear awning - sorta like Ray's DIY rear awning.

I will post more detailed photos of our (side-mounted) ShadyBoy once we get our van back from GTRV.

Brent
Old 07-10-2009, 04:39 AM   #18

Wow, one Day I can’t come on the Net and tons of replys. Ok, then let me get started.

@ mjeffrey

The problem (for us) with a dinette is, the Kids would not be facing forward. Installing 4 Captians Chairs & the Dinette would leave none to very little floor space and Storage, at least in a RB Van.
But you are right it is a lot of fun designing the Floorspace.

@ mmocken

Well like just said we need 2 Forward facing Seats in the rear for our Kids. Otherwise we will not be able (legal) to take them with us.
Through we like that plan too. With the Porta Potty in the rear and so. But not here in Europe.
With the Bed across the front, thanks for the tip, but still missing room for the 2nd Child. Even if it is still very small.

@ jage

I do believe that that wannaSMB has proved that it is possible to swivel them.
The Goucho is not a Goucho. Our seating will be a L – Bench, with stoarge under it. Just used the the Goucho to get a bench a cross. Sorry my Grafic skills are not that good. So I have been doing copy and paste with the SMB Design Items
So the Table is not avalible while driving?

@ vwteleman

Where was the last Pic. taken? Looks like a very nice spot.
Are the Poles (for downdraft) included with every Shady Boy and do they store with in the awning “Box”?

OK, like always a big thanks to your Input. Today we have a rainy day, so I will use it to design the floorplan a little. Maybe play around with a 4 Captian Chair one, too. I will post what I have come up with.

Thanks again

Mike, Nikki & Shawnee
nalle09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 10:16 AM   #19

nalle09,

Yes, the aluminum poles are included with the ShadyBoy (at least when I bought mine). They roll up with the fibreglass poles inside the awning fabric, and all are stored neatly in the aluminum case.

The last photo is at Lenore Lake in central Washington State, just to the south of Banks Lake in the Grand Coulee area.

Brent
Old 07-10-2009, 11:10 AM   #20

A rainy day is the best time to learn Sketchup. I did my floor plan in 3d, so that I could figure how cabinets would affect floor space and movement; looks like charlie56 also modeled his (in fine detail!) and scoobasteeve has his van on there, too

It takes a little while to get the hang of it, but once you figure out the tricks, it's easy! I highly recommend the built-in tutorial.

Cheers!
Mike.
mjeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote