Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-02-2012, 07:37 PM   #51

Re: Out with the old, in with the new

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCBrian
The post was supposed to say "stock seat bolts". I'm laughing at myself of course because what I was thinking and what I was typing weren't the same.
I thought so, so I went ahead and answered. Nope, stock bolts not nearly long enough. And I don't miss those huge torx pieces of ..............

2010 Chevy AWD home build
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 08:02 PM   #52

continued.....I had planned to throw together some simple drawers made of plywood and just shoved in to the hole (no slides), but wasn't sure exactly how much space I was going to have. A buddy of mine at work had just finished a kitchen remodel and had some Glide-Rite (read fancy) drawer slides leftover, so he offered them to me. Also, he has a Dado setup on his tablesaw and insisted that we build the drawers properly. With no experience at this I accepted. Here are the guides installed (it wound up being easiest to mount them flat on the bottom intead of on the sides, since I had plenty of drawer depth

The drawers themselves were great fun to build and not as difficult as I imagined. Properly built drawers are way strong too

They came together great and I decided to just build one huge drawer for the bottom of my cabinet

Here's a shot with the local building code inspector looking bored with my work

I'm pretty pleased with the finished cabinet. Lots of storage and the layout with the furnace/etc. worked out great (pardon the masking tape I hadn't removed from painting)

I also did this bottom fold down cabinet under the fridge, which gives me access to the back of the inverter wiring and the fridge/tv plug

Under the kitchen sink I came up with this to store dishes or boxed food, and also give me access to my water fill, which is a 7 gal Aquatainer now, with no outside fill.

And finally, a finished floor shot. This laminate did great, probably my best flooring job ever. I have done some lousy work, perhaps I'm improving.

TBC..............................

Old 10-05-2012, 12:59 AM   #53

The drawers are a nice feature. How will you latch them to stay shut while moving?
Spenard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 06:24 AM   #54

Out with the old, in with the new

They have an internal catch at the end (closed position). So far, they are pretty tight and you have to give them a good pull to get past it. I will know soon if that's gonna work out long term. I thought I might put a childproof inside latch on them if they start to open.

Old 10-05-2012, 04:53 PM   #55

Wow, mega respect for putting this build together and mega thanks for documenting it so well. If I dare make a suggestion; one pass around the door and drawer edges with a profile bit to soften the corners would add a nice touch but it's not at all necessary.

Cheers!
Mike

p.s., love the pic in your gallery at the campground surrounded by aspens. That's what it's all about. Where is that if I may ask.
freedomrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 05:11 PM   #56

You've got a lot of extra space underneath your (very nice looking!) drawers. Perhaps use some 1/4" ply to make a false bottom and you'll have a nice little hiding spot for any valuables you might want to conceal.

Those drawer slides look very familiar to the ones I used. It took me one trip around a round-a-bout to figure out that the internal retention system wasn't adequate enough for my use. I bought some additional drawer/cabinet catches from an RV store and they work great. (I'll try to find out what they were).
Old 10-05-2012, 08:54 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedomrider
Wow, mega respect for putting this build together and mega thanks for documenting it so well. If I dare make a suggestion; one pass around the door and drawer edges with a profile bit to soften the corners would add a nice touch but it's not at all necessary.

Cheers!
Mike

p.s., love the pic in your gallery at the campground surrounded by aspens. That's what it's all about. Where is that if I may ask.
Thanks Mike, I have a router and need to learn how to use it! I just haven't played around with it much. I know I could make those drawers and cabinets a lot more classy. They need to come off for a 2nd coat of paint soon anyway but I've been trying to throw this all together to take a trip in it, um.............tomorrow.

That's Gooseberry Campground in Fishlake Nat'l Forest near Salina Ut. It's just a few minutes off I-70 and a really peaceful place. I highly recommend it for a quiet night's stay if you're headed across Utah. I love the Aspens too, we don't have em over here in the Southeast.

Old 10-05-2012, 08:59 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockbender
You've got a lot of extra space underneath your (very nice looking!) drawers. Perhaps use some 1/4" ply to make a false bottom and you'll have a nice little hiding spot for any valuables you might want to conceal.

Those drawer slides look very familiar to the ones I used. It took me one trip around a round-a-bout to figure out that the internal retention system wasn't adequate enough for my use. I bought some additional drawer/cabinet catches from an RV store and they work great. (I'll try to find out what they were).
Thanks Rockbender, that's a great idea. They are Glide-Rite (I think) slides and have a pretty good catch, but if I was ever off road I wouldn't trust them. I built the drawers pretty tight anyway. If the wood swells I'm screwed and will have to redo. They're pretty snug for now and require a good pull until you're about 1/3 out, then they free up. Still, I'd love to gather more ideas for catches so post em up if you find out the name of what you have.

Thanks

Old 10-10-2012, 02:06 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty
That's Gooseberry Campground in Fishlake Nat'l Forest near Salina Ut. It's just a few minutes off I-70 and a really peaceful place. I highly recommend it for a quiet night's stay if you're headed across Utah. I love the Aspens too, we don't have em over here in the Southeast.
Added to my fast growing bucket list. Thanks!

Cheers,
Mike

p.s., we don't have aspens in my area either; or any trees for that matter
freedomrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 02:34 AM   #60
Site Team

Garage

Eric, man you've been busy. Is there a reason why you didn't use the flush mount stove SMB is installing? I'm planning to add a stove to my van and don't know how well or what brands work the best. I really only need a single burner but haven't been able to find a flush mount. Thanks for any ideas.

Dave

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is online now   Reply With Quote