Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-14-2013, 08:34 AM   #81

Re: Out with the old, in with the new

Totally changes the interior "feel" and utility! Congrats!

"... torpedo'd, because we don't generally cotton to bullshit around here." -jage
"... do they ooch apart in the night?" -Dia
twogone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 09:58 AM   #82

Garage

very nice! love the little tray around the base too. Might have to steal that idea from ya

i just picked up a set of these from the salvage yard from a wrecked campervan, along with about 20' of piano hinge. excited to get them installed. just scooting the seats all the way forward and unreclined them helped quite a bit, so hoping these will help out a bit more.
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 12:41 AM   #83

Wow awesome build Scotty! Great job on getting it all done yourself and getting it done how you want it! I love the swivel seat too and can't wait to do it to mine!

Old 06-10-2013, 04:36 PM   #84

continued.................Roof Air install

viewtopic.php?p=103977#p103977

As always.............to be continued.............

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 08:44 PM   #85

continued.........under van storage for Lynx levelers and spare propane bottles

These are a couple of things I wanted to get out of the van. I wanted my Lynx levelers easily accessible since they are the first things I need when I pull in to a campsite, and they are always dirty so storing them (and propane) outside is a good idea. Also, I'm trying to use some of the empty spots under the van for storage. My extended van has great places for this kind of thing behind the rear tires.

First, I built an angle iron rack

Next, I painted it and added some bungee holes and bungees to keep things in place. These cheap colored bungees will be replaced with the good black rubber ones which weather a lot better

Here's how it looks under the van, bolted to the frame

It tucks up under there neatly, but is still easy to grab out my levelers quickly when I'm setting up camp

Just tried it on a long trip and it worked great. Levelers are always where you can grab them when you first pull in, without rummaging through the van for them, and now I don't have to clean them...........ever.

As always...........to be continued...............

Old 06-30-2013, 08:59 PM   #86

And while I had the welder out...................I attempted to build a replica of Honda's generator security bracket thingy, albeit without the $40 price.

http://www.amazon.com/Honda-Generato.../dp/B003YM950C

I keep my generator covered, unless in use, and I don't really care if it looks as slick as theirs does. Hopefully it would slow a thief down, though I know they won't be stopped if determined. If you are unaware, the only way to lock a Honda generator is to run a cable lock through the handle. Pretty easy to beat if you want the generator, just cut the plastic handle. This keeps them from doing that very easily, unless they have a sawzall or cut off wheel of course. Also, my cable lock goes through the hole in my bumper underneath, which you can't see. Unless the cable is cut (not very easy), the generator and bumper won't be easily separated.

Take some steel scraps and build a box around your handle, then add tabs down the sides. The difficult part here was masking off my generator so welding sparks didn't destroy the plastic casing. I used about 10 pairs of leather gloves covering everything but the weld spots

Perhaps it is just worthless added weight, but it makes me feel a little bit better.

As always............to be continued............

Old 06-30-2013, 09:19 PM   #87
Site Team

Very nice job on the Lynx and propane storage. You can never have enough storage.

Herb
Old 07-01-2013, 01:18 AM   #88

Garage

Yes, nice job done !
Old 07-21-2013, 09:33 PM   #89

continued.............

So I was carrying this monstrosity of a rack on our long trips. Talk about dragging A**!!!

It slides out enough to open the rear doors, but not easily. As you may guess, it's very heavy and gets heavier when the telescoping tubes get all covered in road grime. Plus, we usually just hike when we travel. We rode our bikes once on our last two week trip.

Also, I built this dinette in the back of my van

I really love it, but it always stays in 'bed' mode. We have used it as a table exactly once.

Wanting to get the rack off the rear some of the time, I decided to trim down my 'extras' that I always drag around and see what would fit under the rear if I reconfigured the bed. Basically, I just raised it about 6 inches

Above is everything I need, with room to spare. Next, I built a 1" angle iron frame with 3/4 ply. It's plenty strong, not too heavy and takes up much less space than the previous wooden dinette frame

Everything fits great! Just tested it on a local trip this weekend. Simple access to the back door is really sweet and I've missed it

I didn't, however, want to go without my table. The old table made of laminate countertop was HEAVY, and not an ideal shape for my other table floor flange, so I made it narrower and longer, and added some cup holders also

It's made of leftover 3/4 ply for now, but if it works out I will probably recut it out of something better looking, or at least finish the edges, stain it, etc. For now, good old gray.

Where should I store it? Things this big are a pain to store in a van, so I built a sliding holder under the bed

Also, I put it towards the right where you can remove it by just opening the right rear door without opening the left.

Tested it all this weekend and it worked great. Now I think I will find a simpler swing away bike rack, or just try putting them on the front receiver.

As always...........to be continued...............
Old 07-21-2013, 10:36 PM   #90

Nice Eric...like always great job!
Buck

The Redneck Mexican
2002 E350 7.3 PSD 4x4 8inch lift pop top conversion....
Van Specialties build out
buckkiller is offline   Reply With Quote