Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-11-2014, 10:05 AM   #1

Outside Van

Out of curiosity has anyone on here ever owned, driven, looked inside a build-out from the folks at Outside Van? I am currently in the early stages of a talking through a design with them and I was hoping for any feedback other forum members might have. I know they share some fabrication work with Van Specialties, and the reviews from Van Specialties seem 5-star but I have yet to find an owner of an Outside Van to talk too.

caseylee55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 11:12 AM   #2

Re: Outside Van

There's a good thread on Expedition Portal about this very subject. You'll see postings from Accrete, also on this forum, about their experiences. They seem top-notch...I'm contemplating a van build with them once we get ourselves back and settled out west again (tick, tick, tick...).

Whoops...forgot the link:

http://www.expeditionportal.com/foru...-%28builder%29
Old 07-11-2014, 01:41 PM   #3

This was just posted in the "Sprinter Chassis" sub-forum:
2014 2500 Sprinter w/4 cyl and 7spd

Looks like Outside Van's work, but the member hasn't replied yet to confirm.

EDIT to add: on the ExPo link above, Letsgo01 posted that the Sprinter posted here was converted by Van Specialties.

Cheers,
Brent
Old 07-11-2014, 02:46 PM   #4

I work out at the gym across the street from them. I have peaked into their vans, and see them parked outside daily. I have talked to one of the workers prepping a van. They look great, inside and out. They use Van Specialties as a vendor (not sure for what, but I know VS has an excellent cabinet shop), but OSV seems to be a higher-end product. Materials in general look higher end and more contemporary. It does seem like VS may be trending that direction too, or at least offer similar trim levels now.

I posted this pic in another thread. So far they're the only ones who have managed to make the Nissan NV look decent.
Attached Thumbnails
Nissan NV photo 1.JPG  
Old 07-11-2014, 05:22 PM   #5

boy, boy that thing would look amazing as a dually, carringb
"... torpedo'd, because we don't generally cotton to bullshit around here." -jage
"... do they ooch apart in the night?" -Dia
twogone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 07:53 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb
So far they're the only ones who have managed to make the Nissan NV look decent.
Agreed. Though i think i'd still be driving solo if i came home with one (N-NV).

----Yea LetsGo's VS Sprinter build looks very nice. And i do think that VS has incorporated more of the bling into recent mods if folks desire such a look. And that's one great thing about both these shops, they really listen to what the (potential) customer wants and will discuss the pros/cons of a given idea/concept as they see it in their years of conversion wisdom.

Thom
accrete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 08:12 PM   #7

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogone
boy, boy that thing would look amazing as a dually, carringb
Old 07-11-2014, 08:29 PM   #8

That does look really sweet. Is that an Aluminess bumper? Anyone?

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 10:27 PM   #9

I guess we have a lot of Outside Van experience. We bought "Earthromper" early in 2011 when the original owner wanted to go a different direction (OV did his next vehicle as well). We have been to OV & VS facilities (although not yet to OV new shop).

They are definitely a cut above. And... much more $ than a Sportmobile or other builders. We are still shopping to figure out our new ride's interior. We'd do OV but not sure we have the budget (or the time to be without it while they do their thing).

Want to see "Eartyromper"? - Here's a link to the eBay ad when we Earthromper in April (plenty of pictures to see the build): http://www.ebay.com/itm/301161010753

caseylee55 - PM me if you'd like to discuss
JonNelson is offline   Reply With Quote