Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-23-2020, 06:40 PM   #1

Garage
Overhead cabinet doors

For you fixed top people, what kind of door works for overhead cabinets? Flip up? Sliding? How about netting?

Our shelf over the cab has no door now, and we want to put kitchen stuff in a new cabinet up there. Pop We need some way to keep stuff in the cabinet.A flip up door would be a headgasher...

Old 02-24-2020, 07:04 PM   #2

Tambour, as on a rolltop desk? Some Vanagon Westfalia folks use those on the rear closet. Good access with no swing problem. You can buy kits.

I installed sliders in mine using a closet kit from the home improvement store. Also no swing, but access is somewhat limited in that you can only get to one side at a time.

Sample.
Old 02-25-2020, 12:16 PM   #3

Nice, clean job!
BCam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 10:43 AM   #4

I'm also looking for ideas for the "shelf" over the cab as I'm having a 24" topper installed soon. Thank you for any photos you might submit!
bonedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 04:16 PM   #5

I am 6’2” and have not found SMB’s stock flip up doors with rounded corners in our high roof Sprinter to be head gashers. In the rear u-shaped overhead cabinets one has to close the rear cabinet door before they can open the side cabinet doors however. That is a bit of an inconvenience.
OurayMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 04:27 PM   #6

We have a high roof E250. We opted for no doors, no nets for the shelf over the cab, and it works fine. Never had anything fall out, but we only store stuff like sleeping bags, backpacks, bulky clothing. The shelf has a low (maybe 2" high) lip on it, so we can put a table top up there under the packs and sleeping bags without fear of it sliding out.
Old 03-08-2020, 04:33 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhally View Post
For you fixed top people, what kind of door works for overhead cabinets? Flip up? Sliding? How about netting?
We have several overhead cabinets, and they all use flip-up doors. I like being able to reach anywhere and everywhere inside, without having to slide a door around. I do like the idea of netting, as stacking clothes in the lengthwise cabinets up against the curved roof leads to occasional avalanches.

Quote:
Our shelf over the cab has no door now, and we want to put kitchen stuff in a new cabinet up there. Pop We need some way to keep stuff in the cabinet.A flip up door would be a headgasher...
In a high-roof van, I've never banged any of the flip-up doors. I head-butt the underside of the cabinets all the time, but the door itself goes practically parallel to the roof when open, completely out of range. The only downside is that when one door is flipped up, that blocks opening any adjacent perpendicular doors, for the cabinets and doors that meet at a corner.
AndrewInSeattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 07:04 PM   #8

Garage
I like the Tambour idea, will look into it. I've also seen some bifold flip up doors.
Was even thinking of wood cabinets with fabric doors.