Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-25-2018, 02:41 PM   #1

Overhead electrics

I am ready to begin insulating the roof of my van. I値l be using 3M acoustic insulation and refectix. I値l be adding the headliner later, but would like to prewire all upper electric items now.

I am curious at what stage people have attached wiring. I would think affixing it directly to the fiberglass roof would be easiest, but it would be a pain later digging through the insulation if changes/repairs are needed. Affixing it to the bottom of the insulation would be more accessible but may show through the headliner. My roof is oddly shaped, so I値l probably just go with a foam backed fabric.

Also if anyone has suggestions as to good things to wire up top I壇 love to hear them. Right now I知 planning on LED lights, a couple of fans, speakers, and vent fan. Most other things will be wired throught the walls.

jpau00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 03:37 PM   #2

What about putting some conduit running down both sides? That way you could pull wire in the future..

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk
Wanderer-RRORC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 08:55 AM   #3
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderer-RRORC View Post
What about putting some conduit running down both sides? That way you could pull wire in the future..
As I have a solid raised roof with a lot of open space above the original factory roof I ran 1.5" PVC pluming down each side tucked away close to the fiberglass top inside surface. Halfway back I inserted a Tee fitting pointing upwards in case I need or want something powered or controlled in the middle.

Keep in mind I'm creating an "electrical center" that'll house accessory power distribution, relays and fuse panels that can be added to as need arises. I've also ran a section of PVC from the right side to the left side midway back that will be above the headliner as another wire chase.

So far I've run my Whelen strobe emergency flashers and wiring for electronic dead bolt locks that'll be added when motivation kicks in. Next up will be a side-door (hinged) PDL switch that works in conjunction with factory PDL switches. Also a switch for controlling the overhead lighting where a front cabin, right side and rear door will have provisions for connecting to those overhead lights. That way they can be turned on or off from any location.

HTH
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 08:19 PM   #4

Conduit is an interesting idea. I'll have to check it out when my van gets back from the shop.
jpau00 is offline   Reply With Quote