Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-28-2010, 10:50 PM   #11
Site Team

Re: "Parkway Windows"

How about this rule for trucks from these regs:
http://www.hudsonvalleytraveler.com/per ... nitions.pl

Truck. Every motor vehicle designed, used or maintained primarily for the transportation of property; provided, however, that a pickup truck or a van which is legally registered as a passenger vehicle and which has passenger license plates shall not be deemed to be a truck.

Does your van have passenger plates?

Once I exit Hal, this is what I do.
https://larry.wvnet.edu/~van/pics/lic...late-small.jpg
WWW.WVBIKE.ORG
WVvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 06:36 AM   #12

Send a message via AIM to MikewTV

I live in New York and bought my SMB EB 50 2 years ago. When I first registered it (in NYC DMV office) they gave me commercial plates and then I learned that kept me off the parkways. That was no good since I live near Bear Mountain and use Palisades Parkway, Taconic Parkway, Bear Mountain Parkway - frequently. I went back to a different DMV office (Peekskill) and reregistered it with normal plates (non-commercial.) I've been driving parkways ever since (including ones out on Long Island.) That isn't an official answer but - I've been lead to believe it's the type of plate that makes the difference.
Old 01-29-2010, 10:18 AM   #13

Again, thanks to you all.

I'm just going to go with it. I have non-commercial plates. Not that I want to be a test case for anything, but if they want to stop me, I'll quote the law to them, then say "thank you, officer, am I free to leave now?"
Old 02-11-2010, 12:36 PM   #14

I know it is not even close to the same thing, but down here in Baton Rouge and New Orleans its the plates that turn a cargo van (what I drive into N.O. to work) into a commercial vehicle.

I know this because I drive a plain white work cargo van with ladder racks with private plates and I will get a ticket for commercial unloading zones where the Coke Van (same van) can park behind me and is safe.

He carries a commercial plate.
SKIPP3R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 09:42 PM   #15

Okay, some definitive info on this.

I was stopped today by a cop going into the Brooklyn Battery Tunnel. They sent me to the truck inspection point, something they have gotten tougher and tougher with, but lately which has been out of control. What do they know that we don't? And I am also grateful that I no longer drive a truck for a living in NYC.

Anyway, he clearly knew the law and was quoting it chapter and verse. In a nutshell, and I believe this is only for New York, that most corrupt and dysfunctional of states and my home for decades:

1. If you are a van with passenger plates, you need side windows. Why? I cannot tell you.

2. You also need a rear seat. He was kind enough to tell me that any seat would so, even a fold up one, so long as it was bolted through the floor and had seat belts attached. Why? I don't know.

3. If you don't, it's a $90 summons. The charge? An "incorrect registration."

See, a van without a rear seat and windows is considered commercial otherwise.

The easiest solution would be to get commercial plates, but that makes regular parking a nightmare and I could not park in the lot I am in with commercial plates.

So I'm going to get windows, probably those little portholes in the rear. I did not find out if one window is enough or I might get one in the side door, which now is just sheet metal. It's so great that I just finished insulating and paneling, isn't it? Sigh.

As for the seat, I may get a little fold-up one, but I have also never seen anyone get inspected for a seat. My guess is that the windows will be enough.

One more thing, they searched me on the way in, as well, and I talked to the cop there. He added the info that, though they technically need a seat, having a seat bracket in place might be adequate, just to "demonstrate that you could put a seat in there if you need to.

That's it, folks.

Paul
Old 04-20-2010, 10:03 PM   #16
Site Team

mmmmm....do they make fake, magnetic "windows" you can stick on the side of the van? Not that I would condone that...
Old 04-21-2010, 05:53 PM   #17

The police officer said you "need to be able to see through the windows."

The D.O.T. guy I spoke with today said a seat bracket was sufficient.

I got two windows today. More later.
Old 04-21-2010, 06:59 PM   #18

So my passenger van, with (tinted) windows all around and passenger plates (TX), wouldn't qualify because I removed the passenger seats and brackets and put down a faux-wood floor?

I guess in the fall when I cruise New England, I'll need to avoid tunnels, parkways and ??? I had assumed that since I don't have propane, my van could go anywhere.

Sigh.
Old 04-21-2010, 07:34 PM   #19

Send a message via MSN to bettyford

What a mess.
Here's my last NYC experience. I was driving a Big Rig delivering dog food to West Babylon Long Inland and some Ass Holes attacked our country I was stuck in my truck for 2 days because they closed the bridge. I got 4 Parking tickets but I had no where to go.

Haven been back.
sorry to high jack

Ron
Old 04-21-2010, 08:06 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyDawg
So my passenger van, with (tinted) windows all around and passenger plates (TX), wouldn't qualify because I removed the passenger seats and brackets and put down a faux-wood floor?

I guess in the fall when I cruise New England, I'll need to avoid tunnels, parkways and ??? I had assumed that since I don't have propane, my van could go anywhere.

Sigh.

If you have windows all around and Texas plates, I would not hesitate to drive anywhere in NY or in New England. You'll be fine is my guess. I have also NEVER seen them check a van for seat brackets. Seriously, I would not let it cramp your style.

They are really looking for contractors with passenger plates using the parkways.