Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-22-2019, 11:56 AM   #1

Passenger Van Windows

Hi Everyone,

For those of you who have a passenger van I am wondering how you did your build out?

Did you build around them or build over them and replace the window with something else?

I am thinking of taking out two windows (#2 and #6) and replacing them with this product:

https://optoverland.com/collections/...nded-body-side

My theory is it will give me more areas to insulate and more real estate for cabinetry but I am not sure how sturdy it would be.

Would appreciate your thoughts. Thanks!

Old 02-22-2019, 12:25 PM   #2

Just dark tint (if not already dark), put reflectix insulation on the inside face the windows, insulate as normal, and build your cabinets as you like and block the windows. There is no need to replace the windows. I would leave access to the window behind the driver seat so it can be opened for ventilation. That is what we did with our passenger van build.

The passenger vans look way better with all their windows, imho.
Old 02-22-2019, 12:28 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1der View Post
Just dark tint (if not already dark), put reflectix insulation on the inside face the windows, insulate as normal, and build your cabinets as you like and block the windows. There is no need to replace the windows. I would leave access to the window behind the driver seat so it can be opened for ventilation. That is what we did with our passenger van build.

The passenger vans look way better with all their windows, imho.
Thanks for the insight Ray. Do you think if I made a magnetic window cover built from the reflectix insulation with say a cordura shell that would be sufficient?

Would you happen to have photos of the interior layout of your passenger van?
Old 02-24-2019, 09:38 PM   #4

We chose a window van and, while the buildout has not begun, we won't block the ones that open; the long one behind the driver, the two in the clamshell side doors and the ones in the rear doors. That still leaves a long and a corner window on each side farther back that can be partially covered, if necessary. Luckily, the high roof gives us plenty of real estate for cabinet placement that might otherwise have to cover windows in a build like this.
Attached Thumbnails
Debbie1.JPG  
campism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 12:38 PM   #5

My windows were tinted but I decided to spray them with plasti-dip paint so they would definitely stay that way for along time and you wouldnt be able to see through to the insulation.

Then I cut half inch foam board to fit the window size, went around the edge with the spray foam insulation to hold it in and seal it. Next layer was the refelectix, then the wood wall. Seems to work very well, stays warm in the winter. Hope this helps.
Old 02-25-2019, 04:31 PM   #6

I bought a window van because I like having windows. I debated covering a few but ultimately built our cabinets to keep all the windows uncovered.

Lady Shadetree likes to ride on the back couch on long trips and still wants to see out. With just the two of us the recent hightop addition gives plenty of storage.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5010.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	103.5 KB
ID:	25973

Name:	IMG_3339.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	103.0 KB
ID:	25974

Name:	IMG_5101.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	102.4 KB
ID:	25975

Name:	IMG_3047.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	76.8 KB
ID:	25976

Name:	IMG_3061.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	101.1 KB
ID:	25977

2012 Chevrolet Express 3500 6.0
shadetreevanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 09:48 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadetreevanman View Post
I bought a window van because I like having windows. I debated covering a few but ultimately built our cabinets to keep all the windows uncovered.

Lady Shadetree likes to ride on the back couch on long trips and still wants to see out. With just the two of us the recent hightop addition gives plenty of storage.
Wow that looks amazing! So your high roof is purely for standing room and storage? I hadn't considered that because I was thinking of making it a second sleeping area for guests.

Were you able to salvage the rear heat/ac at all?
Old 02-25-2019, 10:19 PM   #8

Here's a shot of the 4 AC vents before I was finished trimming everything out. There is so much air flow out of the front facing ones you can feel it on the back of your neck while driving. Lady Shadetree reports the rear couch has good airflow from the down facing vents. Of course, we haven't lived through a summer yet with it, so we'll see.

Name:	IMG_5040.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	77.1 KB
ID:	25998

Because I removed all the original door/wall panels to build my own, the heat ducts along the floor were gone too. I re-plumbed them into these two outlets in front of the heater, over the wheel wells. The wheel wells were boxed to add cup holders, 110V and 12V outlets.

Name:	IMG_3327.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	102.7 KB
ID:	26000

I have a custom cot that fits between the two front swivel seats when we have a guest (our grand daughter) so I didn't find a need for an upper bed.

2012 Chevrolet Express 3500 6.0
shadetreevanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 10:24 PM   #9

I just doing a deep dive on your build thread you do fantastic work! I can't wait to start the build on our van, first thing that is going up is the high top so I can stand inside while I'm doing the build out.

I'm not sure how my mother in law feels about me putting her on a cot haha!
Old 03-04-2019, 08:28 AM   #10

Wow

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadetreevanman View Post

Attachment 25973

Attachment 25974

Attachment 25975

Attachment 25976

Attachment 25977

Beautiful work
Brianf7028 is offline   Reply With Quote