Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-21-2018, 05:42 AM   #1

Penthouse transfer and interior build

Hey folks,
I'm Kevin located out of Central Florida. I own a 89 E150 that I just read it the motor on and have started building out the interior. I have always loved and dreamed of owning a sports mobile but seemed the price was just too much for me to afford and current situations. The Hope was to one day be able to purchase and have a penthouse installed. This last weekend at a tiny house festival with some other van people someone put me on to a 88 E150 with a penthouse. The van is rusted out pretty bad and has a bad transmission while the motor is good in there other miscellaneous Parts it also has the penthouse, that seems to be in very good working order. It does seem however that the outside of the house was sprayed with a Flex Seal like material it does not seem to affect the function it just looks kind of bad. So over the course of the next few months because time is limited I will be converting that top on to my van. Starting this thread to try and document that process. Many hours for searching through other people's threads that have done the same can't wait to be a part of this community! Any tips tricks hints or suggestions are greatly appreciated thanks in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
20181119_141546.jpg   20181119_143737.jpg   20181116_131900.jpg  

Urbanoverlanding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 09:43 AM   #2

Garage
Has the canvas on the penthouse been sprayed with Flex Seal?
Old 11-21-2018, 10:16 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gahamby View Post
Has the canvas on the penthouse been sprayed with Flex Seal?
That's what it looks like the outside has been sprayed with 🤦*♂️not something that can be removed I assume?
Old 11-21-2018, 12:16 PM   #4

Garage
I don't think you could remove that stuff.
Old 11-21-2018, 01:49 PM   #5

Quote:
I don't think you could remove that stuff.
Yeah, I'm not even going to try! So long as it doesn't leak I'm going to roll with it for a little while until I find a replacement or have one made. It just looks kind of ugly lol
Old 11-21-2018, 03:15 PM   #6

Garage
You are going to want to get that penthouse totally righteous before cutting a hole in the other van and moving it over.
Old 11-21-2018, 03:43 PM   #7

Quote:
You are going to want to get that penthouse totally righteous before cutting a hole in the other van and moving it over.
Yea that is the plan, going to part out the van right away. Get the top off and go over everything. But aside from the looks of it, the top seems good. Everything lifts well no water damage or fiberglass damage, bottom seal looks good one spot was loose from what I assume are rivets that hold that on. Once I figure out how to pull it all apart and get it on the ground I plan on refinishing the actual top before getting it on my van. Overall though aside from the look of the exterior canvas I think it's good togo.

Would love any tips or pointers on what to look for before I remove it from the van it's on now and I can no longer test it.

Also any tips on removal. Plan to have some sit down time tomorrow to really search through the thread.