Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-21-2019, 03:35 PM   #111

Garage
Thanks marret!

Old 05-21-2019, 05:18 PM   #112

Lots of good stuff happening here, congrats! As soon as I can figure out what I want to do with my spare tire I'll be contacting Sam for an underfloor box.
Quigley with Agile RIP, 6.0 PSD
WhitH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 09:27 PM   #113

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhitH View Post
Lots of good stuff happening here, congrats! As soon as I can figure out what I want to do with my spare tire I'll be contacting Sam for an underfloor box.
WhitH, thanks. I was hesitant at first to put the spare on the Aluminess swing arm, but I couldn’t be happier. I do a lot of hauling with my van but have found I can mostly manage using the right rear door for putting things in. And then, if I’m not too lazy, I can open the left.

As soon as I started filling the box I was ecstatic about all that room. Who can resist 5 1/2 cu ft of storage?
Old 05-21-2019, 09:58 PM   #114

I’m hesitant as well to make it more difficult to open both doors but even more so to lose the full opening of one side. I’ll probably end up doing it at some point though. Glad to hear your happy, every time I see one of these boxes being installed I’m envious. All that space for stuff!
Quigley with Agile RIP, 6.0 PSD
WhitH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 07:49 AM   #115
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Great job installing the awning!

Would there have been any advantage or benefit having the case brackets moved outward as you hoped for? There would be a way to modify or have built brackets allowing the installed awning case to move further outside the gutter mounts. If that's not important I get it---just thinking ahead maybe too much?
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 10:46 AM   #116

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWA View Post
Great job installing the awning!

Would there have been any advantage or benefit having the case brackets moved outward as you hoped for? There would be a way to modify or have built brackets allowing the installed awning case to move further outside the gutter mounts. If that's not important I get it---just thinking ahead maybe too much?
Thanks, JWA! The only advantage for me in getting it farther outboard would be to have more room available on the tubes for my boats (or whatever else you’re carrying) which I actually don’t need. As it turns out, I like it being inboard for a couple of reasons: 1) During the installation and whenever I need to, I could loosen the clamps a bit and slide the whole thing inboard for whatever I want to accommodate up there. Or even removing/reinstalling, which would be way easier to remove the clamps and have it safely resting inboard. Otherwise, you’d have to balance that beast on the ends of the tubes which just begs for disaster. I originally bought two longer tubes thinking I might have to extend. But I took them back because this turned out to be fine. 2) Having the awning inboard a bit actually keeps it more in line with the van and, when it was raining the other day, I noticed the rain fell on the gutter. Too far outboard and it would be dripping on your head:

Old 05-25-2019, 03:12 PM   #117
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Good thoughts Otter----you having all this installed gives you the best POV of how it works best for you. Its a well thought out plan after all.

Room-wise we tend to make whatever space is available work for us--sometimes that's the only way.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 10:17 PM   #118

Garage
Link to my Steens Mountain Trip Report

Just adding a link here to my trip report on Steens Mountain and Malheur National Wildlife Refuge:

http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...tml#post253701
Old 06-24-2019, 12:35 AM   #119

Garage
Finally, my floor and tracked seats

This week I finally got the new floor in with L-Track for my sliding Siennas! I had to wait a few years for everything to come together but patience paid off and I purchased the new Sienna seat bases and L-Track system from Michael Gabriel/MG Metalworks/ExpoVans/BaseFab. BaseFab is his spinoff company that focuses on seat systems. Michael had installed my Siennas originally with the old seat bases he designed (purchased from UJoint) permanently bolted into the van floor.

All along I had wanted to make these seats into sliders but had to wait for Michael to design and market the new seat bases. They pair with Unwin seat lockers that allow you to lock/unlock/roll your seat to whatever position on the L-Track you desire. Since I’m building a transformer, this capability was essential to the build.

I contracted with Van Specialties in Tualatin, OR to lay the floor and track because the install involved dropping the gas tank and the drive shaft to bolt the track through the floor every four inches. The system is spec’d for safety and used throughout the mobility and wheelchair van industry. These tracks aren’t going anywhere!

The Unwin seat lockers are a genius invention. They bolt to the new seat bases and lock/unlock via a step-on/lift up spring mechanism. When you want to move the seat, you push the safety tab and pull up on the mechanism, which unlocks it. Then you pull the seat back a notch and it pops out of the track. You tilt the seat back and roll the seat along the track on the built-in wheel. Step hard on the foot pad to lock. To remove the seat, just roll to the rear and lift out of the van. This way I can have 4 seats, 3 seats, or just 2, depending on need.

The floor was treated with Cascade Audio Sound dampening Quiet Kote before laying 3/4” plywood. Loncoin Lonseal “Moonwalk” is glued to the plywood. The L-Track is flanged to fit in routed slots. I ordered two sets of 48” track and it fit perfectly from behind the front seats to just in front of my underfloor storage box.

The next stage of my plan is to build modular cabinets that will fit into the L-Track. But first I have to clean out the garage to get all the woodworking tools in position. I’m hoping for an August start on that process. Here’s some pics of the new floor system:

Old 06-24-2019, 04:28 AM   #120

Garage
Wow, looks fantastic.

Tags
ccv poptop, e350, photography, siennas, transformer