Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-12-2020, 06:51 AM   #191

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otter View Post
I’ve only reinstalled the forward driver’s side panel so far. Still working on insulation but hope to finish that up soon. No problems reinstalling so far. At least on that side, it doesn’t look like the floor changed the profile too much.
Thanks for the info just a couple more questions ( Sorry) I have to drop my tank for another project so I need to decide if I am going to change floor at same time.

Did you put anything under the 3/4" plywood?
Why couldn't you reuse the sienna seat mounts you had?
Was the L track DOT rated?

Thanks Doug

snowgroomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 01:39 PM   #192

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowgroomer View Post
Thanks for the info just a couple more questions ( Sorry) I have to drop my tank for another project so I need to decide if I am going to change floor at same time.

- No I didn’t

- because they don’t have the proper holes to fit the Unwin/L-track combo

- It’s the same HD L-track used in wheelchair transport. Take a look on an L-track site and the Unwin site. It’ll give you all the specs

Good luck with your floor. I really like mine.
Old 05-14-2020, 05:23 AM   #193

Quote:

Thanks Doug

Doug,
If you are looking for safety rated L-track then you need to use Q-Straint brand. I am running 4 lengths of it in my van as well. The no name brands that you find online, don't have a safety rating that I have found. Q-straint is specifically designed for handicapped restraints for uses in buses/vans.
mothgils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 06:04 AM   #194

Garage
Are you doing a complete floor? What type of van are you doing. My van has factory carpet and as much as I like the coin floor idea I am not sure I want to do a total RIP out and rebuild
snowgroomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 06:52 AM   #195

Quote:
Are you doing a complete floor? What type of van are you doing. My van has factory carpet and as much as I like the coin floor idea I am not sure I want to do a total RIP out and rebuild
Sorry Otter...not trying to hijack your thread, just giving some info on the l-track.

Snowgroomer - I have an 03 EB van. Mine had the factory vinyl floor. I ripped it out, sound deadening/insulation and built a custom steel floor that bolts to the original seat holes and the l-track bolts to that. Didn't want to add more holes to my floor. If you are on IG my handle is @mothgils. I have not made a build thread here yet.

Okay...back to Otter's thread (sorry)
mothgils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 08:22 AM   #196

Re: Butyl tape and dycor should keep your roof in good shape. Roll out a small ball of butyl tape and then smash it flat around each hole that you drill. Once the bolt is installed, cover it with dycor. I've searched for dycor and can't find anything about it. Can you point me to some info? Thanks
BACKRDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 10:07 AM   #197

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mothgils View Post
Doug,
If you are looking for safety rated L-track then you need to use Q-Straint brand. I am running 4 lengths of it in my van as well. The no name brands that you find online, don't have a safety rating that I have found. Q-straint is specifically designed for handicapped restraints for uses in buses/vans.
Mothgils, thanks for the reminder about this. For those looking to get the right L-track, here’s the link:

https://www.qstraint.com/l-track/
Old 05-14-2020, 10:10 AM   #198

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BACKRDS View Post
Re: Butyl tape and dycor should keep your roof in good shape. Roll out a small ball of butyl tape and then smash it flat around each hole that you drill. Once the bolt is installed, cover it with dycor. I've searched for dycor and can't find anything about it. Can you point me to some info? Thanks
He’s referring to Dicor, typically used on RV’s:

https://dicorproducts.com/
Old 05-14-2020, 01:09 PM   #199

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otter View Post
Mothgils, thanks for the reminder about this. For those looking to get the right L-track, here’s the link:

https://www.qstraint.com/l-track/
For the record, you can use any OMNI-rated L-track (which includes Q'Straint and Sure-Lok). This gives you some more options on price and availability.

One of them has/had a 7075 series rail at 2x the price, and the other is 6061 only. Can't remember which was which, though.
Old 08-31-2020, 08:59 PM   #200

Garage
Extra Bed Mock-up and first Covid Campout

We set our sights on going to the Oregon Coast this weekend because it’s one of our favorites and we’ve missed it during Covid. Reservations are required now. We got one of the last three tent sites at Cape Lookout and man, it was fine! We cruised the rest of the campground and decided we were lucky to have a tent site... really very secluded, lots of room (coulda fit 4 big tents in there!), completely surrounded by trees and bushes, couldn’t see our neighbors, etc. We’d gotten a little too used to the electric sites, I guess, where you’re piled up like sardines. This experience has inspired me to beef up the solar so we can stay longer in better places. We like to boondock but the Oregon Coast is not favorable to that. It’s best to find a tent site in a state park or USFS site.

We had the best day ever on the coast. Even though it was a Sunday, there was hardly a soul on the beach. Heaven!

We had the nicest spot with a little sun and a little shade:

We used our double swivels (thanks 1der!) and kept one Sienna in for lounging.

I’d built a mockup platform bed to help me visualize my built-in. It worked great. We used the Exped Mega Mats in both top and bottom and they really are as great as they say. For those who are interested, we used the Duo (40x70) on the bottom platform bed and it fits EXACTLY between the E350 windows. Lots of room under the bed for cookware, etc. The top Exped is the Double Wide, about 54 x 77 and fits the upstairs CCV poptop perfectly. We installed them uninflated topped with sleeping bags at home (took out the upstairs cushions) and them gave them a few pumps of air at the campsite. Worked great.

All in all, it was a terrific little trip.

Tags
ccv poptop, e350, photography, siennas, transformer