Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-22-2016, 11:55 AM   #51

Garage
Planning for the Interior

I've always had boats and make a lot of covers, etc for them. I often make do with the tools I have so, on my last project a couple of weeks ago, I tolerated my crappy old sewing machine breaking down 37 times in one day (I started counting at 2). Granted, that machine was never meant to sew through multiple layers of canvas and I spent too little on it back in the day. But still!

I threatened to toss it in the river but, not wishing to scare the wildlife, got online instead and did what I should've done 20 years ago. I bought me a heavy duty Sailrite machine. Man, this thing can sew through eight layers of canvas, leather, vinyl, you name it, like it was butter! Just put it all together yesterday and literally sang while I worked!

The machine is heavy but portable. Lots of people use them on their boats. If I rig up PhoTow just right, I could have a mobile sewing rig. Maybe when I retire someday, I'll run around to rallies and repair stuff.

In the meantime, I picked up "the Bible" on automotive upholstery and am going to learn a few things. I'll start on simpler stuff, maybe vinyl (or leather!) covers for the future platform bed foam. Or headliner/sidewall mods. Or an awning. Who knows?

I'm currently making a new Sunbrella cover for my sail. A bit intricate with lots of holes and zippers and snaps and latches.

Looking forward to having some fun with this.

Old 11-22-2016, 12:07 PM   #52

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 12:11 PM   #53

Garage
A Transformer PhoTowSew Rig?

That's awesome! I can't wait to see what you come up with.

Google Sled Hockey - You won't be disappointed.
Jsweezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 12:20 PM   #54

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsweezy View Post
A Transformer PhoTowSew Rig?

That's awesome! I can't wait to see what you come up with.

Hahaha! Yeah, I hope MG can get going on that flooring template so I can start fabbing the bed platform. I need a bed before I can make it comfy!

Old 11-22-2016, 12:26 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otter View Post
Hahaha! Yeah, I hope MG can get going on that flooring template so I can start fabbing the bed platform. I need a bed before I can make it comfy!

I swear, I'm really close on that floor design...

I almost got the Sailrite machine numerous times. Those things are solid machines!

How's that book for instruction? There are tons of videos on Youtube but if that book is decent, I'd like to get a copy for reference.
mgmetalworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 01:28 PM   #56

I'm thinkin' replacement canvas for SMB pop tops...maybe even insulated canvas (two layers with reflectix in between).....a new business opportunity!
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 01:41 PM   #57

Excellent choice on the Sailrite!!

I went back and forth between that and a commercial Juki. Ended up with the Sailrite as it does Zig Zag too and you don't need a separate motor and such. You can make some pretty OK bartacks as well. Can't wait to see some sewn goods!

I was on my way to making some fishing specific backpacks etc.....then the van happened.

Was thinking about some insulated inserts for the SMB top. Maybe some snap ins overlapping at the corners. Stuff you could pull out for summer use and put in for the shoulder seasons or winter. First I need a top though....
Flux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 04:06 PM   #58

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmetalworks View Post
I swear, I'm really close on that floor design...

I almost got the Sailrite machine numerous times. Those things are solid machines!

How's that book for instruction? There are tons of videos on Youtube but if that book is decent, I'd like to get a copy for reference.
The second you're ready with that template, I'm there! I'm holding off on all of my "vision" for the interior till that part's in place.

Solid is right! The darn thing is like 40 lbs and I had a heck of a time hauling it to the river. I think I need to start pumping iron. But it's a major machine, alright. If I "almost" got it once, I almost got it 500 times. Wish I'd bought it 20 years ago when I first saw it. Would've saved myself a lot of trouble and a lot of swearing.

The book is solid, too. There's a reason it's considered the bible. The guy really knows what he's talking about, and I thought it was important to hear it from a master. His explanations are really good. But, the book is old, so pics are in black and white, not all that clear, either. I'm a visual person, so I'm sure there'll be a lot of YouTube videos to augment the book.
Old 11-22-2016, 07:52 PM   #59

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by boywonder View Post
I'm thinkin' replacement canvas for SMB pop tops...maybe even insulated canvas (two layers with reflectix in between).....a new business opportunity!

All kinds of ways to make a buck and be of service!

If anybody has an old pop top canvas they would otherwise toss out, I'll be happy to mess around with using it as a template. Winter takes to hobbies like that. Warm. By the fire.
Old 11-23-2016, 09:46 AM   #60

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flux View Post
Excellent choice on the Sailrite!!

I went back and forth between that and a commercial Juki. Ended up with the Sailrite as it does Zig Zag too and you don't need a separate motor and such. You can make some pretty OK bartacks as well. Can't wait to see some sewn goods!

I was on my way to making some fishing specific backpacks etc.....then the van happened.

Was thinking about some insulated inserts for the SMB top. Maybe some snap ins overlapping at the corners. Stuff you could pull out for summer use and put in for the shoulder seasons or winter. First I need a top though....
Glad to hear you're liking the Sailrite. I agonized over the last couple hundred bucks for the zigzag version and then bit the bullet, remembering how many times I've needed it in the past.

Laughed about "then the van happened." I was knee deep in multiple other projects when my van happened. But, like I tell people, it's good to have a variety of things that interest you. I've never been bored a day in my life.

I'm liking the idea of customizing the pop-top with snap-ins. I finally broke down and bought the press-n-snap tool to make life easier. I've been pounding snaps into fabric with a hammer for years and, after watching a guy at a marine canvas shop using it, I couldn't wait a minute longer. Sometimes it's the little things that bring a smile to your face.

Snap tool on the left, leather punch, old machine that nearly landed in the river, and, my favorite, coffee:

Tags
ccv poptop, e350, photography, siennas, transformer