Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-04-2020, 06:54 PM   #181

Awesome thank you! hard to find the rail photos, and some I saw appeared to be offset, must be the ones that decided to do new holes. My biggest fear is leaking, gotta figure out how to sort that one out

lazybummm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 08:16 PM   #182

Garage
Ya, CCV put a bunch of butyl tape under the entire Unistrut piece. So far, so good, no leaks!
Old 05-06-2020, 08:52 AM   #183

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazybummm View Post
Awesome thank you! hard to find the rail photos, and some I saw appeared to be offset, must be the ones that decided to do new holes. My biggest fear is leaking, gotta figure out how to sort that one out

Butyl tape and dycor should keep your roof in good shape. Roll out a small ball of butyl tape and then smash it flat around each hole that you drill. Once the bolt is installed, cover it with dycor. I've done a lot of installs of solar & roof vents and this is the way to go... if done correctly, you should never have leaks.
nyyankees588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 10:54 AM   #184

Garage
Otter

Really like your build I have similar van and we use it to haul a camper but I have been thinking about maybe making it into a camper for short trips or when we leave the trailer for a basecamp. Currently have two Siennas mounted permanent and a platform bed. Would like to be able to put another pair of siennas ( I already have) in back for when I haul the kids and there friends around town Now that you have had your top for awhile are there any negatives? Noise,leaks etc. Also do you know where you can get the Unwin stuff and rails now

Thanks

Doug
Attached Thumbnails
20190708_134157.jpg  
snowgroomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 12:10 PM   #185

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowgroomer View Post
Otter

Really like your build I have similar van and we use it to haul a camper but I have been thinking about maybe making it into a camper for short trips or when we leave the trailer for a basecamp. Currently have two Siennas mounted permanent and a platform bed. Would like to be able to put another pair of siennas ( I already have) in back for when I haul the kids and there friends around town Now that you have had your top for awhile are there any negatives? Noise,leaks etc. Also do you know where you can get the Unwin stuff and rails now

Thanks

Doug
Nice Camper duo! I pulled a 16 footer for a while and loved it. But I sold it to finance the poptop when I decided to just go full-tilt with the van. I miss the room of the trailer but don’t miss messing with it. The poptop is terrific, no leaks, no problems. I love the height and all that space when you open it up (8 feet standing room). It’s nice and airy.

As far as the Unwin system, you probably know that ExpoVans stopped selling it. But you can buy all the L-track and Unwin pieces on your own. The Sienna base that fits the Unwins is one that MG at ExpoVans fabbed up. I don’t know if he’s still selling them but here’s a photo. You have to have a base that has holes lined up to the L-track. (The lighter x-thing is just a template for lining up the L-track).

Old 05-07-2020, 06:43 PM   #186

Thanks everyone!

Otter, do you know if CCV used a solid or slotted strut channel?

I am leaning toward solid and drilling a few holes, seems like it would expose less water to roof top, but not really sure if my rationale is correct.

Thanks,
Calvin
Old 05-07-2020, 07:45 PM   #187

Garage
The unistrut is solid. Easier to clean that way, too. And maybe stronger? It's aluminum.
Old 05-07-2020, 07:57 PM   #188

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otter View Post
The unistrut is solid. Easier to clean that way, too. And maybe stronger? It's aluminum.
Awesome, thanks again. I am putting an order in on Grainger now. 12ga 10ft solid alum strut channels
Old 05-10-2020, 04:24 PM   #189

Garage
When you did your floor were you able to reinstall factory side panels?
snowgroomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 12:49 AM   #190

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowgroomer View Post
When you did your floor were you able to reinstall factory side panels?
I’ve only reinstalled the forward driver’s side panel so far. Still working on insulation but hope to finish that up soon. No problems reinstalling so far. At least on that side, it doesn’t look like the floor changed the profile too much.

Tags
ccv poptop, e350, photography, siennas, transformer