Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-31-2010, 03:57 PM   #91

Re: Polar Bear 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaskoda
A large package arrived for me at work. It took me a little while to remember what it might be. It was the visor I bought on eBay. I think I'll paint it black. Has anyone every installed one of these?

last time I had one like that...I found the grooves in it..and drilled the hell outta it..once I got it drilled for screwins...I put a little bit off the tip of a silicon caulk gun and then screwed it tight again...

God that sounds dirty!!!!...(on purpose!)

the middle should have some extra that looks like a mounting part..there and the outter edges that run down the A pillar put 2 screws in it top and bottom..get some screw caps that snap over the screws to kinda hide them..

85 E250 Turbo 6.9 vegiburner
92 explorer (well the vin tag and body skins are anyway)
09 jeep wrangler unlimted...for walmart wheelin!!

nothing scares my wife like my boredom and a welder!!
wanderer351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 04:50 PM   #92

I started the day off trying to decide between two projects: 1) clean up the floor and cover it in bed liner or 2) install the roof top tent. I got to thinking about the roof top tent and, since I want to use it in two weeks, thought I should tear into it.

Sure enough, I'm going to have to fabricate some kind of mounting system. I ran to our best stocked hardware store, but it was closed for the holiday. I checked out home depot, but they didn't have anything I could make work.

I also thought my tent came with the additional cover. It didn't. I can make one fairly easily. I picked up some material today, but now that I look at it, I don't think it will work. Too light.

Blocked, I shifted gears and took a wire brush and air hose to the van floor:

I think I'm going to take a car wash hose to the interior before I go too much further. I think I can get the project done in a day, but not a half day. Maybe I'll slowly prep the floor this next week.

I had another nice find. I found an Optima Red Top in my garage and my roomie says it's been there for a long time and he has no idea who's it is. I also have a spot under the hood that looks like it was made to fit a battery to me:

Does anyone have any idea if there's a problem with mounting it here? ? ?

I need to build a plate, but there are already holes drilled in the fender well for bolts so it should be pretty easy. I'm not sure what normally gets mounted in that spot.

For a 3 day weekend, I sure didn't get much done. I have a growing respect for the amount of time that goes into these projects.
Zaskoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 06:47 PM   #93

"I have a growing respect for the amount of time that goes into these projects."

DITTO!
teeots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 04:45 PM   #94

I contacted MB Quarts about the speaker I punctured. They're sending me a replacement for $20. She said she'd also look for a matching set speaker covers that offer a little bit better protection. =)
Old 06-03-2010, 09:09 PM   #95

I have found the visors on the internet, my question is where in the world did you get that mounting bracket?
campervanbeethoven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 12:08 AM   #96

I just discovered this thread...Zascoda,you have my respect and admiration. Your writing style is engaging and your girl friend must be remarkable. Keep telling your story.
07 BMW 525xi wagon
Christopher Thwaites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 08:26 AM   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Thwaites
I just discovered this thread...Zascoda,you have my respect and admiration. Your writing style is engaging and your girl friend must be remarkable. Keep telling your story.
Reading comprehension: C-

Old 06-05-2010, 04:29 PM   #98

What did I miss....? It was late and a bottle of wine does make one drowsy!
07 BMW 525xi wagon
Old 06-05-2010, 10:36 PM   #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Thwaites
What did I miss....? It was late and a bottle of wine does make one drowsy!
She's no longer my girlfriend. =( But thank you for the positive remarks! =)

Twas a productive day. I'm trying to get the roof top tent installed for an upcoming trip. It's a bigger project than I calculated, as usual. Before getting started, I wanted to shift the rack forward just a few inches. I left the front rear brackets attached to the van and the middle brackets attached to the rack. I used a ratchet strap and a tree to pull it all forward. It actually went surprisingly well. While I was up there, I cleaned and painted the scrapes in my roof paint.

I bought one of those rear window 'expand your view' thingies... I thought about installing it this weekend, but realized I need to wait until after I add tint to the windows. The not-my-girlfriend-anymore swung by to help me get the roof top tent onto the van, but I wasn't ready yet. She did take a pic of me with the thingie:

I was almost ready to mount the tent, but right before she got to the house I realized I won't be able to mount the visor while the tent is on the van. So, I decided to wait until midweek to actually attach the tent. That means I gotta get the visor on quickly.

All in all, the delay turned out to be a good thing, because it slowed me down enough to think through the whole build. I'm treating my roof like a "second story". I will have the tent as well as a platform on top. I'm using 3/4" pressure treated plywood for the flooring of the second story. I really think this part is going to come together nicely.

You can see the black visor in the background. I applied the first coat of paint today. I also painted up a few more pieces of the old trim and re-installed them. I try to do the painting on the side and do the real work during drying times. Today was a good day to paint, it was extremely warm.

I cut and all my pieces and sanded the edges with the belt sander. I made two little lips up front where I hope to attach some lights eventually.

I painted the underside with flat back. By the time I finished, it was too dark for pictures. I had to run after more paint so I also picked up a 6x8 roll of gray outdoor carpet for the top of the platform.

I probably won't have particularly interesting photos until the middle of the week when it all comes together (I hope).
Old 06-06-2010, 11:25 PM   #100

Sorry about the girl friend! Why 3/4" ply on the roof platform? If you have support every 24" or so 3/8" would work and be lighter. My son did a roof top platform on his 86 Toyota van. It ended up being kind of a Quanset hut style "tent". Slept 4 or 5 or 6 at Burning Man in 99'. Are you headed for BM? (Burning Man)?
07 BMW 525xi wagon