Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-01-2010, 12:54 PM   #141

Send a message via MSN to bettyford
Re: Polar Bear 1

Load your PB with all the stuff you want to install and drive up here to Jackson next week end and we can knock it out in a day!!

Bring your fishing pole..

Ron

Old 08-01-2010, 09:58 PM   #142

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettyford
Load your PB with all the stuff you want to install and drive up here to Jackson next week end and we can knock it out in a day!!

Bring your fishing pole..

Ron
Would love to, but I'm obligated to the cooking weekend for my Burning Man camp - part of my frustration at the moment.
Zaskoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 10:51 PM   #143

Today I was productive.

I spent most of my time today insulating the walls of the van. I had help for a little while.

The walls and ceiling are insulated. I don't *think* I'm going to use the Reflectix on the floor... but I'm not sure yet.

I have a new parachute. I draped it over the van to get an idea of size. I'm going to build some sort of framework off of the rack and use the chute as a shade structure.

I was considering installing the old headliner before the trip. Before installing it, I wanted to cover it in the vinyl I bought. Unfortunately, tonight I discovered I don't have enough Vinyl!!! I have the right square feet, but there's no way for me to cut it such that it will cover all the panels w/out seams.

After reconsidering, I may not do the headliner and walls before Burning Man. I may just go out with the bare insulation. I still have a lot to get done before I can leave and I have to start focusing on the most important items. Right now that includes replacing the driver's seat and building the shade structure.
Old 08-06-2010, 10:42 PM   #144

I created a standing platform on the roof rack today. Instead of the plywood from before, I used expanded metal. I like it enough that I may want to eventually over the whole rack with it.

The edges I cut (with a jig & metal blade) were a tad sharp so I folded a bike tube over the edge and glued it on with some 3M adhesive spray. Hope it stays.

I also worked some on getting my floor figured out, but no pics yet.
Old 08-07-2010, 08:52 AM   #145
Site Team

Have you done a stand-test on that platform yet? Especially at BM (maybe not the best abbreviation), you may have multiple people up on top.

Herb
Old 08-08-2010, 10:22 PM   #146

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoHauler
Have you done a stand-test on that platform yet? Especially at BM (maybe not the best abbreviation), you may have multiple people up on top.

Herb
I did. It holds me just fine. However, I want to go ahead and put a few more straps on in case other people are bouncing around up there.
Old 08-08-2010, 10:46 PM   #147

It's good to wear gloves, even if you don't think you need them.

Old 08-09-2010, 09:23 PM   #148

Not exactly work on the van, but... Tonight and last night I whipped together a humidifier for the tent/van. I'm told this type of humidifier will go a long way towards cooling off a tent. I'm about to find out. I'm actually thinking I'll be more likely to use it in the van.

The air on the playa is extremely dry. It doesn't really hold any heat, hence the hot days and cold nights. So I'm suspect this might really work.
Old 08-10-2010, 09:28 AM   #149
Site Team

That's pretty nifty. I assume one fan sucks and one blows? It just needs one thing. A big honking electric actuator.

Once I exit Hal, this is what I do.
https://larry.wvnet.edu/~van/pics/lic...late-small.jpg
WWW.WVBIKE.ORG
WVvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 02:50 PM   #150

Indeed, one fan goes in and the other out. If I build another one, I'll use a better box and instead of computer fans - I'll probably just use one of those electric inflatable mattress pumps with some hoses.