Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-11-2010, 09:19 PM   #181

Re: Polar Bear 1

Zaskoda,
Did you get deported? "Polar Bear" has been one of my favorite topics. Any updates?
CT

07 BMW 525xi wagon
Christopher Thwaites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 09:00 AM   #182

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaskoda
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Thwaites
I gotta ask about the seats...
http://www.smittybilt.com/gear.htm

Those seat covers were covered earlier in the thread... They use the Molly system. Speaking of, I finally actually attached some of the pouches by weaving them as WVvan pointed out in his post. It's amazing how firm they are when properly attached.
Where did you buy your seat covers?
Old 11-24-2010, 03:37 PM   #183

WhoooHoooo... our smittybuild seat covers in ACU camo just arrived today. we luv'em. really nice workmanship and pockets/pouches for lots of personal items. when we ordered our two front seats covers there was a special that included the rear tailgate organizer also. very pleased!
accrete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 03:40 PM   #184

Quote:
Zaskoda,
Did you get deported? "Polar Bear" has been one of my favorite topics. Any updates?
CT
I spent some time away from working on the van and frequenting this forum. I'm terribly behind. However, this weekend I've been working on the floor and will have pics soon.

Meanwhile, here's a camping pic from this fall:

And here's a video:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/zaskoda/52 ... 356550981/

More soon...
Zaskoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 06:53 PM   #185

Alright, I now have a wood floor. I found a few sheets of half inch plywood by the dumpster outside of the Phoenix Asylum. The Phoenix Asylum is the local artist co-op I'm renting space from so I can have access to more tools and a heated garage to work in.

I began with the butcher paper template I used to create the foam rummer floor before.

Then I needed to finish up the foam sheet so I would have a full template for the wood. We (my house mate's been helping me with the floor) just cut that in place.

We cut, sanded, and added a coat of poly to the ply. This will be covered in something (probably carpet, maybe rubber); the wood was poly coated to be water resistant, not pretty.

Tonight we screwed down the back two sheets and let the seats hold the front one in place. While we were bolting down the seats, the front plywood shifted a bit and I didn't want to add screws until we have a chance to place it correctly.

Right now the floor is all wood except the front. I laid down the old carpet that was originally in the van. It's the kind of carpet that should be in a house. It's in pretty bad shape, but I wanted to cover things up until I get the real carpet in. As you can see, the foam padding continues past the front of the wood.

We did have a bit of a scare, the seat bolts wouldn't reach! We had to trim out the carpet to get the bolts to catch the threads in the van. Once the threads caught, the sand which of wood and foam pulled down nice and snug to the van. I'm pretty sure the undermat is pressed enough that the bolts will go in easily next time.

In unrelated story telling, I up'd the tire size a bit. 33"s roll better, feel better, and look a LOT better than the 31"s. I just need to trim a fender a tad as it taps the tire when the suspension compresses while turning. It makes a nicely horrific sound.

It sure is nice to get my hands back on the van. I have been having a rough go of life this year and I just sorta lost interest in everything for a while. Somehow lately I've realized what an amazing life I have... I just sorta got lost in my head there for a while. Hi everyone.
Old 11-29-2010, 07:01 PM   #186

Oh yeah... also.. we built a haunted house in my backyard:

And I've been learning to Poi... and then learnign to Poi while snowboarding:

Yeah.. so... I've been terribly distracted from working on the van... but I'm totally back now.. totally.
Old 11-30-2010, 10:29 AM   #187

Couple of things, I'd go for a heavy duty vynl on the van floor. You can always throw some cheap carpet on it if you need to. The haunted house/yard video is great. Who did the paintings? Did you save them? Wonderful art.
CT
07 BMW 525xi wagon
Christopher Thwaites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 11:04 AM   #188
Site Team

Welcome back big "Z".

Quote:
The Phoenix Asylum is the local artist co-op I'm renting space from so I can have access to more tools and a heated garage to work in.
I'm moving to Phoenix.

Once I exit Hal, this is what I do.
https://larry.wvnet.edu/~van/pics/lic...late-small.jpg
WWW.WVBIKE.ORG
WVvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 08:01 PM   #189

Quote:
Couple of things, I'd go for a heavy duty vynl on the van floor. You can always throw some cheap carpet on it if you need to. The haunted house/yard video is great. Who did the paintings? Did you save them? Wonderful art.
CT
Well, I started looking for vinyl flooring and ended up ordering a roll of this:

http://www.rubberflooringinc.com/garage ... rolls.html

I feel like I should have done more research, but it seemed to be priced in the same range as everything else I found, but it was a solid sheet instead of tile. The free shipping thing was pretty nice for a nearly 100lb item... I hope I didn't just make an overly expensive impulse decision.

The art was done by a group of volunteers lead by a friend named Moon. She volunteered her time to help make the haunt amazing. She's the kind of woman who did that sort of thing a lot. She was very recently in an automobile accident and did not survive. She was pregnant. Her husband was driving the car and survived the crash. It's hard to believe that things like this happen in life. Yes, we will definitely save the art. It's all stored away right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVvan
Welcome back big "Z".

Quote:
The Phoenix Asylum is the local artist co-op I'm renting space from so I can have access to more tools and a heated garage to work in.
I'm moving to Phoenix.
It's good to be back. I hear there are mountains near Phoenix, are you going to go exploring?
Old 12-07-2010, 08:35 PM   #190

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaskoda
She was very recently in an automobile accident and did not survive. She was pregnant. Her husband was driving the car and survived the crash. It's hard to believe that things like this happen in life.
Wow, that's really horrible. So sad. Things like that have one little bright side, they help us remember to not take things for granted and to be thankful for each moment we have with loved ones. Tragic though, sorry to hear about that.