Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-23-2011, 08:50 AM   #221

Re: Polar Bear 1

Sorry, it must be in here but i looked around a bit (not through ALL 15 pages!) and didn't see it. Which engine do you have?

Old 02-23-2011, 12:18 PM   #222

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroySmith80
Sorry, it must be in here but i looked around a bit (not through ALL 15 pages!) and didn't see it. Which engine do you have?
http://www.rubberflooringinc.com/garage ... rolls.html

Ford's 300 Straight 6.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Straight-6_engine#300
Zaskoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 10:01 AM   #223

A lot went down since my last post. I borrowed a camera so I have a few pictures this time:

I picked up a new gauge cluster from the junk yard. The lights on the right half of my gauges never worked. Now I have a fully illuminated display! I also have about 10,000 less miles on the odometer. I had hoped that this would resolve the squeak in my speedometer, but it's still there... I assume it must be coming from the cable. Can you lubricate those cables? And if so, with what?

I picked up some floor mats for the front door wells. I scrubbed them down real good with ajax and lightly spritzed them with bed liner coating. I'll use them to trim out the front doors like I did the slider.

So Velzy here loaned me her camera. She helped me a lot yesterday. In this shot, she's removing that black sealant from my paint left behind by the first glass shop that replaced my windshield.

So, the big project of the day yesterday was the front bumper. I took a big step forward in getting it to a usable state. I had to go buy a new set of sockets just to remove the existing bumper. Once off, I found that the bumper brackets were riveted in place, not bolted. With some help of my house mate Cano, we manged to find a way to extend the frame rails. What we've done so far is only half of the mounting framework I intend to build, so I'll get a better shot of the construction once more is finished.

We trimmed up the existing bumper to better wrap around the front of the van. I love plasma cutters. There's a "gap" that will need to be filled at some point, but here's what the bumper looks like resting in place.

I'm a long way from having my "finished" bumper, but I'm really glad to be making progress. Here's my current intentions:

- Get what you see in the pic mounted securely.
- Weld on new pipe around the grill and lights.
- Cut holes and drop in ammo boxes flush with the top to make tool boxes.
- Add some sort of mount point for shackles.
- Try to add a folding bike rack.
- Add a bottle opener.
- Sand and paint.
Old 02-25-2011, 10:07 AM   #224

nice work.

The speedo cable in my VW squeaks sometimes. When it does, i pull it away from the back of the instruments and squirt Tri-Flow (basically a silicone lube, used frequently for bicycles) in there. I've also heard dry graphite powder can work well.

The tri-flow is not a permanent solution though, and i do sometimes worry about building up a bunch of old, dry tri-flow gunk inside the cable housing and then having problems from that.
Old 02-25-2011, 11:00 AM   #225

Most auto parts stores carry speedo cable lubricant. Don't use liquid lubes, eventually they gum up.

Speedo cable lube is graphite and nearly friction free and non-drying. It is best if you pull the cable out and shoot some lube in the housing and then have a rag with lube on it and run the cable through that to lube it on the way in.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 12:40 PM   #226

Thanks for the info guys. I was worried that a liquid lube would gum up the works. I was really hoping to avoid pulling the cable all the way out. That part doesn't bother me nearly as much as putting it back in! It sure will be wonderful to make that noise go away. I also need to do the same basic thing to the blower for the a/c and heater.
Old 03-01-2011, 11:26 PM   #227

Still no camera. Used my phone today.

So the speedometer in the gauge cluster I bought at the junk yard was totally bunk. I dropped my old one into the new cluster and now my miles read correctly again. I sprayed cable lube into the tip of the speedometer cable before putting it all back together. The squeek isn't gone, but it seems much quieter now. I hope it stays that way.

I almost got the bumper mounted today, but the welder ran out of inert gas. I have no idea where we're supposed to fill the bottles so I had to clean up and go home for the day.

Everything is connected to the van with bolts. I'm about to weld the bumper itself to the mounts that are now on the van. Here's how the bracing is coming together:

My first welds (lower) looked like piles of bird poop. I'm finally figuring out how to run a bead.

I got as far as tacking on the connecting plate to the bumper. Soon I'll weld this on tight and then weld it plate to plate... I'll explain later with a picture.. but for now...

Sure hope my camera comes back to me.
Old 03-03-2011, 05:33 PM   #228

The bumper is on... still using my phone for pics...

So my welds are... pretty ugly... but I slammed a hammer around and everything seems solid enough. Here's what the mounted bumper looks like...

I'm a bit... apprehensive about showing the photos. The gap left from the original fitting gives the whole thing a mustache like look. I plan to fill that area in. I'm also planning pipes (grill/light guard), shackles, lights, wench, skid plate, and tool boxes. I'm also figuring out how I might want to install a bike rack up front.
Old 03-03-2011, 09:16 PM   #229

It's not so bad...

Also, I'd go with a front hitch receiver for the bikes, then you can use a standard bike hitch and swap it front to back as necessary.
Attached Thumbnails
moustachevan.jpg  
Old 03-03-2011, 10:26 PM   #230
Site Team

Look on the bright side. You may now ask women if they would like to get in your van and take a mustache ride.

Once I exit Hal, this is what I do.
https://larry.wvnet.edu/~van/pics/lic...late-small.jpg
WWW.WVBIKE.ORG
WVvan is offline   Reply With Quote