I did some work today. I recently received a new project item... a very special item... but today I had to focus on getting the van street legal again. My first mission of the day: restore power to the wiper blades and blinkers! Here's what happened to my wiper blades switch:
Once it snapped, there was no tension in the switch. We were wiggling it around trying to set off the wipers coming back in a snowstorm. I picked up a new switch for $6 at the junk yard and swapped em out. Turns out, the wiper cleaner fluid pump runs on the same fuse as the blinkers. Replacing a fuse fixed them both. I figure the switch probably shorted and popped the fuse. It's nice to have it fixed!
With that solved, I poked around under the van a little today. I looked, again, at the bleeding speedometer cable near the transfer case. It's just enough to make it look messy. Then I remembered that there used to be a bandaid on there that came off when the xfer case was rebuilt. So, I put a new one on!
While I was working on this, I kept looking at how the xfer case was bolted to the frame. I'm 95% sure there should be rubber between these two pieces of metal. What do you guys think?
Here's the alignment of the xfer case. It's bolted down on the opposite side. I just feel like the adjustment of a half inch block of rubber is going to have little impact on the drivetrain. I'm no mechanic, but I can't help but suspect that there's supposed to be a block in there by design.
I also snapped a shot of my muffler... it's rusted on through... It sounds horrible all rattly and shaky... I've noticed a significant drop in the number of people walking up and asking me about my van when I pull up!
By the way, my camera is back! It was under the bed the whole time. I'm so happy about that! And I'm happy about that heater I get to install... oh, I wasn't gonna say what it is just yet. =D
I was playing with my camera at the gas station: